Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #1
Wendy Lilygreen

Smile Dye-Sub printer. Which one?

I'm thinking about buying a dye-sub printer to use at equestrian events. I've started to do a bit of research on the web but then thought of you guys!
Anyone got any recommendations? Thoughts on the subject?

Cheers
Wendy
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #2
kb244

Default Re: Dye-Sub printer. Which one?

Hrm, why Dye-Sub? Three Problems I normally see.

1) Colors arnt always as vibrant as say other portible 4x6 printers ( Epson Picturemate, Hp 375 )
2) Dyesub printers are more subseptible to dust/hair/etc , because the dye subs go back and forth covering one color layer over the next, any dust gets on there they show up as rainbow specks, any hair gets on there they get traped in the layer, or possibly causing a big color streak.
3) From what I understand Dye Sub prints only last 7 years or so.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #3
Wendy Lilygreen

Hi KB,
I was thinking about a dye-sub so I could actually produce prints on the day rather than just contact sheets and taking orders which is how we work at the mo. I then come home and process them on an Epson 4000.
We use a HP Photosmart to produce the contact sheets but obviously I couldn't sell the prints from that because of longevity etc.
Also a dye sub would reduce my workload then throughout the week.

I really apprecite what you say tho. I was thinking about the new Kodak one or a mitsubishi CP8000.
I want to offer 7 x 5 and 8 x 6 prints.

Thanks for your input.

Wendy
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #4
kb244

Well if thats your main reason look at the Epson Picturemate, if you have a power invertor, its small, it'll print them out right there for ya, and the images are rated for 100 years ( under glass ) And 200 years in an albumn. However this is 4x6 only. I dont know much about the much more expensive 5x7, 8x6 dye sub printers.
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #5
Wendy Lilygreen

Hmmm, 50 years will do me! After that I expect to be pushing up the daisies!
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #6
mobilestudio1

I personally only use dye-sub printers and think the print quality is outstanding.
We have a Kodak 8600, the new Kodak 1400 and a HiTi 730PS for 4x6, 5x7 and 6x8's. We also use them at outdoor events where dust and dirt can be an issue but, knock on wood, we've never had a problem. We're usually in a large tent and we keep the side panels down on the two walls along the computer & printer table. If the computer or printers are going to be idle for any period of time, I usually drape each one with a large, cotton piece of fabric to protect the equipment in general from dust and dirt & I will sometimes shut them down so the fan doesn't pull in dirt. The only other added measure I take with the equipment we use outside is, I throw one of those dehumidifiers that you bake to "reactivate." They're supper cheap but a great investment. At the end of the day, i put one in the computer box, one in each of the printer boxes and pack up and go home. It just helps to pull out any moisture that humid days may have left behind and keeps your equipment good as new.
mobilestudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #7
Vegas Poboy

I currently have two Olympus 440's & 1 P400 and they do great for event work but I just received info that Olympus is going to stop making them but keep the ink & paper in stock, so you may want to look hard @ the kodaks.
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #8
kb244

I hope the kodak dye subs are alot better than what they are using for the cheaper Kodak PrinterDocks ( which are horrible in color quality )
Old 9th of March 2005 (Wed)   #9
Wendy Lilygreen

Hi All,
Thanks all for your feedback, it's really useful.

Wendy
Old 9th of March 2005 (Wed)   #10
rufis6

I have a Kodak 8500 Dye Sub printer and could not be happier. Those who believe the archival life of the prints are way off base. Check with Kodak and get the real skinny, which is much more than 7 years. As for print quality, it couldn't be better. Additionally, you will never have a problem with ink clogging your lines because it is Dye Sub and uses no messy ink cartridges. Speaking of clogging, you will also never have a problem with one ink running out in the middle of printing; Dye Subs don't work like that. An additional benefit is that the print costs are set in cement, for the Kodak 8500 which I use, the cost is $1.78 per 8 10 print. And you can use one 8 X 10 sheep of paper to accomodate several smaller size prints. An 8 X 10 prints takes 75 seconds to print; the new Kodak 1400 takes 90 seconds to print. Additionally, the 1400 will print at a larger dimension than the 8500. I previously owned a Canon Dye Sub but got rid of the thing because it only uses a bastard-size paper, not a full 8 X 10.
rufis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #11
etaf

i'm also looking into dye-sub {HiTi 730PS} and I'm a little concerned now about the life of sye-sub prints. Still trying to find the facts
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #12
mbze430
Goldmember

Kodak is coming out with the 1400 for the "desktop" users.

My Hub to my personal work (just click on the banners)
mbze430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #13
Wendy Lilygreen

There is another on the Mitsubishi CP8000 I haven't been able to find out much about it but for event photographers it comes in a blue case, see www.totallydigital.biz I just want the printer but haven't been able to find out much about the specifications as yet.

Wendy
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #14
Craig Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Lilygreen
I'm thinking about buying a dye-sub printer to use at equestrian events. I've started to do a bit of research on the web but then thought of you guys!
Anyone got any recommendations? Thoughts on the subject?

Cheers
Wendy
Hi Wendy and all!

I use a Fuji Pictrography printer, but not on location. It prints on honest to goodness silver based color paper. It uses distilled water to process and the maintenance is low. The printer runs around $4000.00 US. Supplies will run about $350.00 for about 130 prints. Print time is roughly 70 seconds for the first print and that's an 8 1/2 x 11 @ 400 dpi print.The results are stunning! And if the print should accidently get wet (because your clients are drooling over your work) just let it dry-No smearing like ink-based printers!

Craig
Craig Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2005 (Fri)   #15
Wendy Lilygreen

Hi All,
I think the Kodak maybe a bit big it's 30" across and it only seems to take A4 size pics and while you can put two smaller ones on the sheet there is then the problem of cutting it in half. A bit of a bother in a small caravan(trailer) if its full of people.
the mitsubishi while a nice printer comes in at 1400 which is more than I want to spend.
The HiTi 730 Gala would seem to fit the bill, it has different size paper trays which appear easy to change over plus it has a small footprint. I'm gonna do some more reasearch and will let you know.
wendy