Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #1
august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?

Default SD300

Hey everyone I'm new here and I was curious if this was a good camera or not. I hear alot about the LCD cracking and stuff but I'm not sure. The unlimited video is really selling me. What else I'd like to know is how good of quality are the pictures? I plan to use it with friends, my trip to italy with my friends, concerts, events, etc that don't need to be professional quality, but I'd like them to be really high quality shots. If the SD300 isn't what I'm looking for then, could you possibly show me a camera that does have the video capabilites of the SD300, but better image quality? I just plan on printing 5x7 photos, MAYBE one or two 8x10's once in a blue moon. I'm a real "noob" when it comes to digital cameras so can you guys point me to the best camera for my needs?

Thanks in advance!
august23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #2
august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?

Default Re: SD300

Oh, I also realize that this is a Canon forum, but the other two cameras I was checking out were the Sony DSC-P100 and the Sony DSC-W1, as they both also offer the same video quality/modes as the SD300, however they seem to be of better image quality. What do you guys think? Any help greatly appriciated!
august23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2005 (Tue)   #3
djdino

Hey August,

I purchased my SD300 when it was first released. I purchased it after losing my S500. I have to tell you, I really like the SD300 much better. The camera is quick(via DigicII) and image quality is superb for it's class. Continous mode is faster, about 2.5fps (with a highspeed card) and the video mode is excellent. The larger LCD screen makes a significant difference. I definitely recommend this camera.

You might want to read more about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd300/
djdino is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #4
roadrider

Get the SD300. I'm sure you will love it. Small, well built, fast start-up, good video capabilities, 2" lcd, long exposure mode for night shots. Try it out at your local dealer and decide.
roadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #5
kevink

I've had mine for a couple of months, it's great. Really convenient for taking quick shots and the quality is super. The SD card provided is basically useless, I'd recommend you get at least a 512mb high speed card - say an Ultra 2. Also to save scratches, the case is a good idea and put protective film on the LCD. The battery door is a bit flimsy and the switch for camera, video and review select could be a bit more solid. Having said that, I've had no problems with them.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of March 2005 (Thu)   #6
TeaQue

I absolutely love my SD300. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.
TeaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2005 (Fri)   #7
natemeister

The SD300 is a great camera. The video it takes is fantastic. It's really small and can go with you anywhere you want. The downside to it's size is that it needs a proprietary battery. If you plan to taking it on a trip, buy 1-2 more and have them charged if you plan to be away from an power outlet for awhile. Non-canon batteries for it are pretty cheap and some even last longer.

Put it ito superfine and hq settings and you'll be able to print your 8x10s without a problem.
natemeister is offline   Reply With Quote