Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 11:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
Joined Mar 2005
3,123 posts
Bergen County, New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey everyone I'm new here and I was curious if this was a good camera or not. I hear alot about the LCD cracking and stuff but I'm not sure. The unlimited video is really selling me. What else I'd like to know is how good of quality are the pictures? I plan to use it with friends, my trip to italy with my friends, concerts, events, etc that don't need to be professional quality, but I'd like them to be really high quality shots. If the SD300 isn't what I'm looking for then, could you possibly show me a camera that does have the video capabilites of the SD300, but better image quality? I just plan on printing 5x7 photos, MAYBE one or two 8x10's once in a blue moon. I'm a real "noob" when it comes to digital cameras so can you guys point me to the best camera for my needs?

Thanks in advance!

Post #1, Mar 08, 2005 11:03:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
august23
THREAD ­ STARTER
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
Joined Mar 2005
3,123 posts
Bergen County, New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh, I also realize that this is a Canon forum, but the other two cameras I was checking out were the Sony DSC-P100 and the Sony DSC-W1, as they both also offer the same video quality/modes as the SD300, however they seem to be of better image quality. What do you guys think? Any help greatly appriciated! :)

Post #2, Mar 08, 2005 13:40:26

djdino
Joined Aug 2004
392 posts
Los Angeles (Echo Park)
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey August,

I purchased my SD300 when it was first released. I purchased it after losing my S500. I have to tell you, I really like the SD300 much better. The camera is quick(via DigicII) and image quality is superb for it's class. Continous mode is faster, about 2.5fps (with a highspeed card) and the video mode is excellent. The larger LCD screen makes a significant difference. I definitely recommend this camera.

You might want to read more about it here:

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/canonsd300/external link

Post #3, Mar 08, 2005 21:09:38

roadrider
Joined Dec 2004
26 posts
KL, Malaysia
[MORE/SHARE]

Get the SD300. I'm sure you will love it. Small, well built, fast start-up, good video capabilities, 2" lcd, long exposure mode for night shots. Try it out at your local dealer and decide.

Post #4, Mar 10, 2005 03:43:12 as a reply to djdino's post 1 day earlier.

http://www.pbase.com/t​sbokexternal link

kevink
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2005
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had mine for a couple of months, it's great. Really convenient for taking quick shots and the quality is super. The SD card provided is basically useless, I'd recommend you get at least a 512mb high speed card - say an Ultra 2. Also to save scratches, the case is a good idea and put protective film on the LCD. The battery door is a bit flimsy and the switch for camera, video and review select could be a bit more solid. Having said that, I've had no problems with them.

Post #5, Mar 10, 2005 10:41:03

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TeaQue
Joined Dec 2004
69 posts
Kansas City, MO
[MORE/SHARE]

I absolutely love my SD300. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Post #6, Mar 10, 2005 23:23:24

natemeister
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2005
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The SD300 is a great camera. The video it takes is fantastic. It's really small and can go with you anywhere you want. The downside to it's size is that it needs a proprietary battery. If you plan to taking it on a trip, buy 1-2 more and have them charged if you plan to be away from an power outlet for awhile. Non-canon batteries for it are pretty cheap and some even last longer.

Put it ito superfine and hq settings and you'll be able to print your 8x10s without a problem.

Post #7, Mar 11, 2005 15:40:31

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES