Thread started 08 Dec 2008 (Monday) 21:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

GreenEyedLady
Joined Sep 2008
132 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey people.
I am a newbie. I see a lot of pictures taken where the background of maybe the inside of the home is very dark so the person stands out.
I remember a photographer doing this in a shot with all of us in our own home.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/3094677672_b13ac9a03a.jpg?v=0

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/3094677644_ed09f6fd08.jpg?v=0

I have lightroom. Is this something you do when you shoot or in lightroom?

Thanks
GEL

Post #1, Dec 08, 2008 21:34:34

Shoot with a Canon Xsi Rebel 450D with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 . I have a 430EX flash. I am using a Mac for all of my editing. I am a newbie looking to understand it all. Help me by letting me know how to correct my photos. I need all the help I can get!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DanteCaspian
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,103 posts
Ottawa, ON Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

What editing software do you have?

Post #2, Dec 08, 2008 21:41:23

GreenEyedLady
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
132 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

I have Lightroom and CS2.

Post #3, Dec 08, 2008 21:43:05

Shoot with a Canon Xsi Rebel 450D with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 . I have a 430EX flash. I am using a Mac for all of my editing. I am a newbie looking to understand it all. Help me by letting me know how to correct my photos. I need all the help I can get!

DanteCaspian
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,103 posts
Ottawa, ON Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

You can control the desired effect with lighting, background and proper exposure. You may also do so in Photoshop & there are a number of ways to do this.
Here are simple examples, http://www.sitepoint.c​om ...ing-techniques-photoshop/external link
Obviously, ignore the shadow additions in the tutorials.
I use a couple of techniques that are similar to the links explanation, and others, but I think it best to start there to learn some of the basics.
Others may have better suggestions if those do not work for you, or if you need more specific help.

Post #4, Dec 08, 2008 21:59:46

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

The easiest way is to get a black background.

Post #5, Dec 08, 2008 22:04:04

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
Joined Nov 2006
15,123 posts
Sandwich UK...the place, not the food!
[MORE/SHARE]

A black background is a good place to start. Make sure there is some distance between the subject and the background and that there is no light spilling onto the background. Lightroom will help you to darken the background further but try to get it as close as you can in camera first.

There are some more links below (at the bottom of this page) that you should explore as this is a regular topic of discussion.

Post #6, Dec 09, 2008 02:37:39

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.ukexternal link
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickrexternal link Blogexternal link 5∞pxexternal link

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,424 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

Hang a black background as far behind subjects as possible.

Light subjects with modified flash, one on each side with about 1.5 stops different. Keep flash close enough to light subjects at small aperture.

Set shutter speed to max synch and stop down to f/8 - f/11

Post #7, Dec 09, 2008 05:25:13

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

GreenEyedLady
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
132 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

michaelgreen78 wrote in post #6842112external link
A black background is a good place to start. Make sure there is some distance between the subject and the background and that there is no light spilling onto the background. Lightroom will help you to darken the background further but try to get it as close as you can in camera first.

There are some more links below (at the bottom of this page) that you should explore as this is a regular topic of discussion.

I don't see any links.
Can you post them up?

There was no black background in the photos that this woman took and I also don't believe she used a separate flash. I know she had an external one, but she had us sitting by the window and somehow darkened the background. It looks almost like we are in a studio but we were right in our family room.

Post #8, Dec 09, 2008 11:55:01

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

If you have the room and enough light, it is not hard. You just need the subject to be considerably brighter than the background. How much brighter depends on what is behind the subject. But 3 stops and a fast shutter should do it.

Again, it is simply lighting the subject more. Try to get as little light on the background as you can, while keeping the subject bright. expose for the subject and you should have it.

Post #9, Dec 09, 2008 13:51:27

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,424 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

GreenEyedLady wrote in post #6844337external link
I don't see any links.
Can you post them up?

There was no black background in the photos that this woman took and I also don't believe she used a separate flash. I know she had an external one, but she had us sitting by the window and somehow darkened the background. It looks almost like we are in a studio but we were right in our family room.

A black backdrop makes this easier, but it is possible to do without. The key is to set the camera with a small aperture, low ISO and fast enough shutter speed that it will take a <black> exposure without the flash.

Then you light the subjects with flash, and if no light spills onto a close background the background appears black.

Post #10, Dec 09, 2008 16:18:47

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

AnnaL
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2009
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

If you're doing portraits, using a black background should be the easiest. But when I do macro photography, I use something like these settings: "M" for manual focus, ISO 200, speed about 1/160, F stop at F16. I also use a full flash where my flash is set at the same exposure as my camera. I especially like this type of setting for flowers. If I want a colored blurred out background, as you probably know, a wide open aperature and my flash is usually set as a step down from my camera exposure.

I have a Rebel XTi.

Post #11, Feb 28, 2009 08:28:36

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
8,467 posts
MI/CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Aah...the links are at the bottom of this page...similar threads.

Post #12, Feb 28, 2009 09:56:19 as a reply to AnnaL's post 1 hour earlier.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,095 posts
Southern CT
[MORE/SHARE]

There was a great article on exactly this topic on the digitalphotographyscho​ol blog/site.....

Basically what other people have recommended, small aperture, fast shutter speed. The key element in the article I mentioned was the positioning of the flash, off camera of course...

Post #13, Feb 28, 2009 11:49:02

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Galleryexternal link :: My Flickrexternal link :: http://photos.kodanja.​netexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to black out the background
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES