Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 09 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 11:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Canon USA Warns about Counterfeit Batteries / Chargers -- dangerous

santorini-photographer
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Santorini, Greece
Aug 17, 2012 04:38 |  #91

I got my battery for my canon camer 500d from ebay (reputable seller). For 2 years now still going strong. I charge it with the canon original charger and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky, I do not know!

There is no other place in Earth, like the local area of Thiraexternal link. I live and work here and always trying my best to capture images that are elegant and timeless. My Latest photography Sessions can be found here:http://www.studiokrist​o.com/photographer-blog/external link. I 'm also a fan of social networks. You can also explore my galleries and offers at my Photography on Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
gainesvillehousing
42 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Oct 15, 2012 13:54 as a reply to santorini-photographer's post |  #92

Thanks for the info!

lhanson
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2012
CA
Dec 04, 2012 22:00 as a reply to gainesvillehousing's post |  #93

I have the Calumet Lp-E6 replacement batteries. They have been nothing but a good set of batteries to me. Same specs as canon version and they use the same chip so battery is recognized by camera. I buy Canon when I can but its not the only brand I will use. For example I have Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses.

sneakerpimp
665 posts
Joined Feb 2008
The O.C.
Dec 26, 2012 22:34 |  #94

Power2000

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

to test capacity i discharged the battery completely then recharged it twice. i got 110-120 shots, roughly half an OEM battery... not too shabby considering it was one-fifth the cost.

Canon EOS M | G7 X | S90

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Aug 2008
United States
Jan 23, 2013 20:40 |  #95

I have a SterlingTEK battery (2nd battery) for my S95 and it works fine (and fits fine, also). I just ordered a SterlingTEK battery and charger for my 5D Mark II, to have as backups. Should arrive Friday. SterlingTEK seems to be a reputable brand.

5D Mark II / 24-70 2.8 L / 70-200 4.0 IS L / 35 2.0 / 85 1.8 / 100 2.8 Macro / 15 2.8 Fisheye / S95
Feedback
:)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jan 23, 2013 20:56 |  #96

Sterlingtek batteries aren't counterfeit. Counterfeit would be if the battery had a Canon label but wasn't really made by Canon.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Aug 2008
United States
Jan 23, 2013 21:46 |  #97

Jon wrote in post #15526342external link
Sterlingtek batteries aren't counterfeit. Counterfeit would be if the battery had a Canon label but wasn't really made by Canon.

I didn't mean to imply that they were. Several people had mentioned them as alternatives to Canon, and I just wanted to add my 2 cents about them. Should have made that clearer (the thread kind of wandered off-topic to third-party batteries, even though the original topic was about counterfeit Canon batteries).

5D Mark II / 24-70 2.8 L / 70-200 4.0 IS L / 35 2.0 / 85 1.8 / 100 2.8 Macro / 15 2.8 Fisheye / S95
Feedback
:)

ra40
Joined Jan 2013
So. Cal
Apr 06, 2013 15:37 as a reply to ozziepuppy's post |  #98

Have any of you come across these LP-E6 chargers than may be fake? The charger that came with the 5D charges the Pearstone battery from B&H. The charger picked up from that auction site gives a constant flashing light.

Weight of both chargers is 126 grams on my scale. The auction site charger did charge the LP-E6 battery but it barely was drained so it wasn't an accurate test. Canon customer service said that some aftermarket batteries will not work due to the difference in milli-amps the charger is looking for.

Any insights or comments?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Apr 06, 2013 17:59 |  #99

ra40 wrote in post #15797800external link
Have any of you come across these LP-E6 chargers than may be fake? The charger that came with the 5D charges the Pearstone battery from B&H. The charger picked up from that auction site gives a constant flashing light.

Weight of both chargers is 126 grams on my scale. The auction site charger did charge the LP-E6 battery but it barely was drained so it wasn't an accurate test. Canon customer service said that some aftermarket batteries will not work due to the difference in milli-amps the charger is looking for.

Any insights or comments?

Are you talking about fake chargers, or simply aftermarket ones? Some thrird party batteries don't work in Canons charger, that is true. In general, this is mentioned when the batteries are offered for sale, and a suitable charger, made for that battery is either included in the deal, or is an option. Such third party batteries and chargers though are (usually) perfectly sound buys, although you should buy a reputable brand to be on the safe side.

Such third party offerings though are not fakes, they are just made by someone else. To avoid a fake (and I would highly recommend it, as they can be dangerous) only buy Canon branded gear from a reputable supplier (i.e. not ebay etc.).

ra40
Joined Jan 2013
So. Cal
Apr 06, 2013 20:31 as a reply to sandpiper's post |  #100

In this instance the charger is labeled as a "Canon". I wasn't sure if there was as big a market for a counterfeit chargers. Both my LP-E6 batteries are at 100% so I cannot check them in this new charger. The one Pearstone battery I had on hand that was below 50%.

At times I wonder about buying certain products off that auction site. :confused: Batteries I get locally from the photo store or one of the big NY places.

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Calcutta, India
Mar 21, 2014 04:24 as a reply to ra40's post |  #101

I live in India. Recently I bought a used 5D Mark II that came with a Canon battery. It has "Made in China" written behind it.

However, I have another 7D that was bought new from a proper reseller with a battery that has this written behind: "cell made in Japan. Pack assembled in China". In fact my other replacement battery bought earlier for the 7D also has the same thing written on it.

My question is: is this "Made in China" battery fake? The point is if someone was indeed faking it, why would he not write whatever is written on the other batteries? It looks and weighs exactly the same as my other batteries. And when I check its health, using the menu, it shows two green boxes, which is the case with my other battery also.

My question is, should I be worried about the genuineness of this "Made in China" battery?

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,566 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Tampa, Florida
Mar 21, 2014 05:14 |  #102

If the battery works, does it really matter where it was manufactured?

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

LITTLEL
Joined Dec 2006
UK
Apr 21, 2014 18:00 as a reply to post 16774941 |  #103

I'm in the market for another battery for my 5d mkii... Looking on ebay and Amazon.co.uk i can see that prices are ranging from silly like £6.99 upwards.. I've tried to look for "official" batteries and cant find them anywhere..Some of the reviews on amazon about the batteries are saying they are "fakes", so it's a complete minefield when trying to get one. Would anyone know where to get "official" ones from, or third party one's that are ok to use..

5D MK 11, 24 - 105 L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 580 EX Mk II, 70 - 200mm 2.8 L IS usm, 350D with Lense Kit. - New Years Resolution - Take at least a picture a day!!:cool:

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,717 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yorkshire, England
Jun 26, 2014 03:34 |  #104

LITTLEL wrote in post #16851222external link
I'm in the market for another battery for my 5d mkii... Looking on ebay and Amazon.co.uk i can see that prices are ranging from silly like £6.99 upwards.. I've tried to look for "official" batteries and cant find them anywhere..Some of the reviews on amazon about the batteries are saying they are "fakes", so it's a complete minefield when trying to get one. Would anyone know where to get "official" ones from, or third party one's that are ok to use..

A little slow responding perhaps but here goes anyway, in the hope that it's not too late.

For years I used no-brand BP511 batteries from 7DayShop. Without fail they proved totally superior to the Canon originals and some are still going strong 7-9 years later (I gave several away so don't know about all of them). I see that they are now offering the LP-E6 (Link)external link which I haven't yet tried. For under 7 quid, perhaps worth you looking at? Slightly lower capacity than Canon, but at 11.7% of the best priced Canon I could find they're definitely worth investigating. Heck if they only lasted a year, you'd still be quids in. And so will I! The 7DayShop 7.4v 1600mAh equates to 7.2v 1644.44mAh for comparison with the Canon, so the 7DayShop offering has nominally about 8.7% less capacity - I doubt we'll notice, IF either claimed capacity is anything like accurate of course. Given that these markings are both 'claimed' and 'average' I think we'd be hard pushed to find any difference in performance and I'm certainly prepared to risk £6.99 to potentially save over £50.

Re: Amazon.co.uk offerings / listings of 'genuine' Canon LP-E6 batteries. Yes there have been problems. There are a LOT of fake 'Canon' LP-E6s about and quite a few of the vendors on Amazon.co.uk were selling these (intentionally or unknowingly, who can tell) - usually in the £45 region. So many of these were returned that at one stage Amazon.co.uk withdrew ALL listings of that particular battery. They are now available again, this time there is a SOLD BY AMAZON category instead of the previous FULFILLED BY AMAZON - hence if there is any problem, Amazon themselves are liable instead of a perhaps-nebulous thrid party. At this current moment, CURRYS have proper genuine direct-from-Canon-in-Reigate at £59.88. If you still have a Jessops store remaining near you, they will still price match with this (they did this for me just yesterday - Peter Jones needs my money more than Hoo Flung Dung in the backstreets of Kowloon :rolleyes:).

Note to American POTNers: Yes, batteries ARE expensive in England. So is everything else. Just thank your lucky stars you don't have to pay these prices! I looked at shipping in some Wasabi LP-E6s from New York (not available in UK, even Amazon.co.uk ship from NY). Whereas you'd pay US$14.99, by the time I got them they'd cost me US$33.96 PLUS international shipping PLUS 20% VAT on cost /shipping cost - and that's assuming that lithium batteries even made it through Customs at all! (No valid reason why they shouldn't get through, but then whenever did there have to be a reason?)

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sponsored links

128,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon USA Warns about Counterfeit Batteries / Chargers -- dangerous
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.