Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Apr 21, 2014 09:11 |  #616

We haven't discussed much at all yet Gerry other than the fact he contacted me saying he wants to meet up and discuss purchasing the pics.

I know he sells merchandising such as dvd's and posters at his performances, so I imagine he would be looking at digital files with printing rights.

He has already shared my photos on his Facebook page which I am cool with because he has acknowledged me as the photographer and directed heaps of his fan base to my site.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

sponsored links
HAKIM ­ 82
67 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Dec 07, 2014 03:29 |  #617

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SAY NO TO FREE PHOTOS!

sosaysmorvant
52 posts
Joined May 2011
South Louisiana
Dec 07, 2014 14:39 |  #618

Anybody got the cliff notes to this thread? :-)

tennfan1125
161 posts
Joined May 2007
lexington,ky
Feb 05, 2015 09:58 |  #619

Ok, so maybe this has already been answered I haven't read through all of the posts. So how does a photographer come up with a price to put on his photography. I am brand new to photography and have no clue where to start off at.

canon 30d, canon 1d mkIII, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm, canon 1.4 extender, canon 400mm f2.8 IS, canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Canon 16-35mm f2.8,Pocket Wizards,430 ex II, 580 ex II, Canon 430 EX, sigma SA-9, 70-300 5.6, 28-80mm(which I NEVER use)

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Alamogordo New Mexico
Aug 20, 2016 21:42 |  #620

I've stop as a working photog now do to health issues since 2012. I was shooting cowboy mounted shooting for a while before that. Fell into by accident. I would shoot every run the contestants made on both days try to hock images after the event each day. Some events I did better than others but usually broke even on costs plus time. They kept asking for me to put them online so they could look at home and then buy. Finally I setup a site at one of the photography sales sites never received a single order. So I stopped going. The other photographers that worked solo only shot one or two runs each and then spent the rest of the weekend selling. I figured that was shorting the contestants as their last run might be the one they wanted a shot out of because it was their best run to date or whatever reason. While I was doing this I had an acquaintance that started a magazine that highlighted this segment of the equestrian circle. I called and setup a meeting with him to either buy images or pay me to shoot for him.he said they never paid for images as somebody would always give them images while they may not be pro quality they would work. I said he would never get one of my images to use and left. I used to get a digital copy of his mag I just deleted them as spam after a while.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today!external link

Gear List

Douglas ­ Conway
Joined Aug 2012
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Douglas Conway.
Oct 16, 2016 18:51 |  #621

I have started to do some family shots for practise, I really don't think that I'm at the point that I could start charging for the pics. At some point I want to transition to charging for my work, this will be something I'm looking at when I retire as much to keep me busy as it is for income. I understand that doing this for free cuts into other livings but the people that I have done the work for probably never would have hired a pro.

Ybnormel

sponsored links

280,752 views & 2 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.