LIST NEARBY THREADS

beavisbr
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2005
8 posts
Florianópolis - SC - Brazil
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello all,

My girlfriend dances ballet and I am struggling to take good photos of her presentations.

I'm using ISO 1600; 1/60 and f/2.8. Took this photos from the eight row and didn't use RAW because the presentation was really fast and I would not be able to take a lot of photos that way.

I have a Rebel Digital (aka EOS 300D) and the following lenses: EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6; EF 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 USM and the EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM. I was using the 100mm for this shots because of the large aperture.

Any thoughts on improving the shots?? Go for a better camera (thinking about the 50D), better glass (EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS or non IS or other) or trying to "shoot better" (getting closer, using a tripod/monopod, etc)??

Thanks in advance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO

Post #1, Dec 10, 2008 17:15:54

Canon Rebel Digital
Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6; Canon EF 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 USM; Canon EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro; Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM; Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/brandeburgo/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

If these are heavy crops, a 70-200 f/2.8 will help, since you can frame bigger, otherwise not: The aperture is the same. So the shutterspeed will be as well.

If these are uncropped, I'd say the focal length is okay, but you either need a faster aperture (85/1.8 or 200/2.0) or higher ISO (newer camera with cleaner High ISO).

Tripod / monopod / IS will help prevent camera shake (which doesn't look to be a big problem here (with this focal length), but won't stop subject motion (which is a problem in some).

Post #2, Dec 10, 2008 18:58:51

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

beavisbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2005
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback!

This are not cropped. I was planning on buying an EF 85mm f/1.8 to try to stop the motion on the photos; maybe that with a new camera would help me?

What do you think about the colors? Do you think that the amount of noise is because my camera can't deal well with the high ISO?

Thanks again!! Sorry for the amount of questions.

Post #3, Dec 10, 2008 19:37:40

Canon Rebel Digital
Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6; Canon EF 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 USM; Canon EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro; Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM; Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,645 posts
Poconos, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

It's good you ask... next time, you'll have some other ideas to compare too...

If getting additional equipment, the 50D sounds great... It will be less noisy... and if the money isn't that much of an issue go for the ultimate 70-200mm f/2.8L IS... Yes IS makes a big difference with this lens...

However, other choices, like the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.8 lenses are fast, and focus well...therefore, they do make a substantial difference in your faster shutter speed ("choices") availability.

Post #4, Dec 10, 2008 20:23:13

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.comexternal link
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Colors: Set white balance to tungsten. Shoot Raw ;)

Yes, newer camera's will have less noise at higher ISO. I'd say at least a stop worth.

Post #5, Dec 11, 2008 09:33:37

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,645 posts
Poconos, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ah, yes... Thanks Rene'...

Why do we often forget to mention one of the most important values of the DSLR? RAW is just awesome... very practical for making corrections, modifications, especially in exposure... That in itself is totally worth using RAW... It can make or break the capture... It often saves the day for me in all types of photography...

The RAW conversion software comes with the camera... Both, Digital Photo Professional and Zoom BrowzerEX do it.

Post #6, Dec 11, 2008 10:33:06

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.comexternal link
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,697 posts
The Fun Coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Stage lighting color is reproduced nicely in your shots. I generally have to work from the back of an auditorium or a balcony and use at least a tripod and a big, fast lens. From seats within the audience, it's best to use a monopod and a fast 70-200 zoom. Your camera might even surprise you with its ISO 800 quality using just those two improvements.

Post #7, Dec 12, 2008 09:44:35

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

beavisbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2005
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks again.

I was planning on shooting RAW, so I could have more room to post process, but the buffer on the camera would not allow me to take as many shots as I wanted.

I'll start saving up to get some new equipment; probably new glass first and then a new camera. Prices are really high here in Brazil (70-200 f/2.8 IS = USD 3.100,00; 85mm f/1.8 = USD 750,00), so I plan on having someone buying then abroad.

Here are some more shots.

Stupid question probably, I can only post two photos on each post!?

Post #8, Dec 12, 2008 18:56:21 as a reply to advaitin's post 9 hours earlier.

Canon Rebel Digital

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,697 posts
The Fun Coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I found this somewhere and copied it. Maybe it will work for you.

"When I save my files in Photoshop, I use Save for Web. I change the image size to 800 on the longest dimension in the Save for Web dialog and I optimize for a size of 150KB.

If you have a web site, you can also upload them to that site and then link the image to the post instead of attaching. If you link to the image you are allowed 8 images per post instead of just 2 attachments."

Post #9, Dec 12, 2008 20:05:27

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

beavisbr wrote in post #6867303external link
Stupid question probably, I can only post two photos on each post!?

If you'd read the IMAGE POSTING RULES, you'd know ;)
They state:

You may attach *) maximum of two (2) photos per thread. This means: you may attach up to 2 photos when you start a new thread. You may attach additional photos if requested, but only in a reply to other member's post and request.

I think I'd crop both of the last shots, to remove some "spare body parts".

Post #10, Dec 13, 2008 10:10:21

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link

joedlh
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
4,598 posts
Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.
[MORE/SHARE]

Saving for web in Photoshop strips out the exif information. When posting to this site, it is often helpful to others if they can look at your camera settings in the exif data.

The exif data also contains your camera's serial number. You can program some cameras so that your name is also included. This is important if you want to prove ownership of the image.

Post #11, Dec 13, 2008 10:19:41 as a reply to advaitin's post 14 hours earlier.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

sponsored links
joedlh
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
4,598 posts
Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a challenging setting. I think you did pretty well. However, shooting in jpeg was a mistake. In marginal conditions like this, you need every bit of image data that you can get. Jpegs use 8 bits per color channel. Raw in your camera gives you 12, I believe.

If you can't use flash, then you're stuck with what the theatre gives you. In this situation, I would seriously consider maxing out the ISO setting and risking noise to get an image with less movement blur.

In ballet, there are brief moments when the performers will hold a pose. Take your shot in those moments. However, use the blur in other moments to emphasize the motion.

As others have said, get the widest aperture lens with image stabilization (IS) that you can afford. The 50D has good high ISO performance, but only for sRaw images. The 40D has been reviewed as better with full Raw images. If you have the budget and not a large investment in EF-S lenses, consider the 5D II.

Post #12, Dec 13, 2008 10:26:18

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Nouks
Joined Oct 2007
824 posts
Enschede, The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

My first thought: if the lighting were too dark for a 100mm F2.8, it still will be for a 70-200 F2.8, with or without IS (IS will cover hand shake, but not movement of the dancers). Fast primes seem to be a better choice for this kind of lighting then...

Post #13, Dec 14, 2008 12:26:38

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Websiteexternal linkPortfolioexternal linkArchiveexternal link

beavisbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2005
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been away for a while.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I will probably buy a faster prime (EF 85mm f/1.8 USM), shoot RAW on her next performance and later buy a new camera (start saving for the 5D MII).

Post #14, Jan 04, 2009 21:15:30 as a reply to Nouks's post 21 days earlier.

Canon Rebel Digital

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
1,471 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is an example of some Modern Dance photos I took that show what you can do using RAW. This is shot from third row using only theatre lighting. This particular shot I had waited for the subject to enter into better light.

File name
IMG_0223.CR2
Camera Model Name
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Firmware
Firmware 1.1.1
Shooting Date/Time
3/28/2008 18:49:13
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/160Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F4.0
Metering Modes
Partial metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
EF85mm f/1.8 USM
Focal Length
85.0 mm
Image size
3888 x 2592
Image Quality
RAW
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF mode
AI Servo AF
Picture Style
Standard
Parameters
Tone Curve : Standard
Sharpness level : -
Pattern Sharpness : -
Contrast : 0
Sharpness : 3
Color saturation : 0
Color tone : 0
Long exposure noise reduction : -
High ISO speed noise reduction : -
Highlight tone priority : -
Color matrix
-
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
13991 KB
Dust Delete Data
No
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting
Owner's Name
Tim Sheridan
Camera Body No.

HOSTED PHOTO

Post #15, Jan 08, 2009 09:11:58 as a reply to beavisbr's post 3 days earlier.

Tim
Equipment

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ballet @ CIC - Florianópolis SC (Brasil) - Critique Please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES