Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of December 2008 (Mon)   #1
jesseH

Smile First weekend with a DSLR! How to reduce background lighting blow out ?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here on the forums!

One of my grandfathers was a semi-professional photographer, and I have had a long time interest in photography, but never pursued it. I've taken a few really nice photos in my life, but all were with P&S cameras.

I finally decided I wanted to take the plunge, and get and learn how to shoot with a DSLR. I found a great deal on a Canon Rebel XS. After playing around with it and following some tutorials for a few days, I now wish I would have acted sooner on my interest in higher end photography.

I found www.learnslr.com to be a great starting point.

One specific question I have right now, is how do I reduce the 'blow out' of the background lighting in the last photo (when shooting, not post processing) ?

All C&C welcome and encouraged! These are just some shots I took around the house and pool area this weekend.

Thanks

Last edited by jesseH : 15th of December 2008 (Mon) at 19:17.
jesseH is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of December 2008 (Mon)   #2
LeuceDeuce
Goldmember

Default Re: First weekend with a DSLR! How to reduce background lighting blow out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseH View Post
One specific question I have right now, is how do I reduce the 'blow out' of the background lighting in the last photo (when shooting, not post processing) ?

1. Don't shoot with the light source behind your subject, get it behind you.

2. Expose properly for the background and use fill flash, reflectors or a combination of both on your main subject.
Old 15th of December 2008 (Mon)   #3
Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: First weekend with a DSLR! How to reduce background lighting blow out ?

Try different times of day like dawn or sunrise too

Congrats on the camera! Remember, there is a learning curve, so don't be dissappointed when your photos don't meet your expectations. It takes time, experience, patience, and did I mention time Good luck, be sure to post images here, so we can praise yuour photos, or critique them!
...:::My Website:::...
Livinthalife is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #4
dkord

Reflectors work well, flash can be tricky because of slow shutter speed sync and white balancing.
My question is on the last 2. Why is the crop purposely showing all that bright background? It doesn't help your subject matter at all even if it was properly exposed.
Sometimes the easiest way to avoid those high contrast issues is shooting with the sun or highlights behind you and cropping tighter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eosdawg/
dkord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #5
SwingBopper
Goldmember

A direct answer to your question is to block the light. Carry one of those collapsible translucent circular discs and put it behind the subject. Or anything you have handy to block the light and remain basically neutral and OOF will do. I've done this before with a black fabric with good effect.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton
SwingBopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #6
jesseH

Thanks for all the comments so far. Appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinthalife View Post
Try different times of day like dawn or sunrise too

Congrats on the camera! Remember, there is a learning curve, so don't be dissappointed when your photos don't meet your expectations. It takes time, experience, patience, and did I mention time Good luck, be sure to post images here, so we can praise yuour photos, or critique them!
Thanks for the warm welcome Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkord View Post
My question is on the last 2. Why is the crop purposely showing all that bright background? It doesn't help your subject matter at all even if it was properly exposed. Sometimes the easiest way to avoid those high contrast issues is shooting with the sun or highlights behind you and cropping tighter.
That's more than likely just incorrect / newbie use of "The Rule of 3rds" that I had read about. I think at the moment, I felt if I cropped the shot tighter, most of the subject would have been in the middle of the frame, making it less interesting. Guess I should have framed the flowers tighter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingBopper View Post
A direct answer to your question is to block the light. Carry one of those collapsible translucent circular discs and put it behind the subject. Or anything you have handy to block the light and remain basically neutral and OOF will do. I've done this before with a black fabric with good effect.
I don't think I'm ready to be that "hardcore" and carrying a lot of equipment around with me... yet. I'll keep this in mind though to practice in the house with shots that have a lot of sunlight coming in through windows.

Any other tips or advice based upon these few shots ?

Thanks
jesseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #7
dwn4whadever

I have the same camera man, I love it. You did a nice job with the shots.
dwn4whadever is offline   Reply With Quote