Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #1
newmms

Default Sporting Photography for beginners

Hey fellas, i'm 15 and i'm just getting in to photography, i particularly like sporting photography. i have looked at many of your posts and i think their great.
i was just hoping some of you guys could tell me some techniques and effects that would make my pictures look as awesome and appealing as your own.

cheers guy
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #2
snyderman
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Sporting Photography for beginners

First off, be thankful you're starting at a young age instead of like me, a guy your DAD'S age!

I did some searches in the sports picture sharing and talk sections using search terms like 'indoor basketball' or 'football' and received so much info it'll take years to digest.

Recently started shooting HS basketball indoors and without benefit of some of the strobe flash setups some use. I'm getting out of it (not really sharp or well-lit images) as I'm putting into it. Some of my crimes can be corrected to a certain degree using post-processing of images, but they'll never be on par with what you see at SI.com or in ESPN the Magazine.

Big difference between a hobbiest (me) and someone who has to do this for a living. And the ouptut tells the whole story.

Lots of great people here who are patient. Do your homework first and post for clarification as necessary. This seems to work pretty well around here.

dave
snyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #3
40Dude6aedyk

Welcome to the forum. I came here just a few months ago when I bought my first Canon camera. While I was taking photos, I also spent many hours reading many of the "sticky" threads on this forum and the links in the stickies. I took all the things I read with a big dose of skepticism, but it did lead me to try different things to see if they were true or not. Most of it was true, but some of it is --- shall we say --- personal opinion.

So there is tons of advice already presented here, so I don't feel any need to repeat it to you. All YOU have to do it go READ it and EXPERIMENT. If I can follow it, then anybody can do it.

Can you just imagine a painter like Renoir posting to an internet forum: "How do I paint a masterpiece?" Do you think folks would tell him to go out and read and try painting?
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #4
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Learn by doing.

Get a DSLR, a wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens. Or just get a good point-and-shoot camera - there are plenty of cameras on the market that can handle the job. If you can't afford something new, find something used. Digital cameras let you take lots of pictures and review them without the cost of processing and printing - take advantage of that.

Go to sporting events where you'll be able to go where you want to go - not major-league events, but small-time events where you'll be tolerated. Use the camera. Review your images. That's the best way to learn what works and what doesn't work.

Neil Leifer was your age when he got curious about sports photography. He grew up to become one of the all-time greats because he found places to take pictures and learned from his experiences. You can do the same thing.
DC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #5
newmms

hahah thanks,but who;s Renoir :S
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #6
newmms

i was thinking of shooting my friends basketball for practice, but i don't think Australian laws lets me take photos of children
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #7
Mark
Dammit I need sleep

Oh of course they do, you are 15 and shooting your mates.... I do that all the time!
(I guess if you had a mate who's parent was really stupid about it then maybe you will run into some trouble, but then just put the camera away...)
I did run into trouble at a mates of mine basketball game once, I explained that I knew everyone on both teams and they asked me to shoot for them, and then it was fine....
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #8
danaitch

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Post, post, post.

Learn from constructive criticism, learn from constructive criticism, learn fr... you get the point!

ps And ALWAYS leave your EXIF data intact.

2x1D Mk.III, 400 f2.8l IS, 70-200 f2.8l IS, 24-70 f2.8l
danaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #9
jocareed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaitch View Post
Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Post, post, post.

Learn from constructive criticism, learn from constructive criticism, learn fr... you get the point!

ps And ALWAYS leave your EXIF data intact.

......and how do you leave your EXIF dat intact I would like to be able to copy and past the information...any ideas?
jocareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #10
clarence
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocareed View Post
......and how do you leave your EXIF dat intact I would like to be able to copy and past the information...any ideas?
Depends on what image tools you use.

IrfanView (freeware from http://irfanview.com) will crop and resize and leave original EXIF intact, and/or you can use it to read the EXIF in your original file and copy it to clipboard to paste here.

Picasa (freeware from http://picasa.google.com) leaves EXIF intact too.

And if you want to check EXIF by right-clicking on browser images, check out Opanda iexif (freeware from http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm)

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/AC9s
LoCo-Photo.com
clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #11
rselinger

I would also read this, so you know your rights and what's expected of you when you are shooting:

http://4020.net/words/photorights.php
rselinger is offline   Reply With Quote