Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 08:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

newmms
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
15 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey fellas, i'm 15 and i'm just getting in to photography, i particularly like sporting photography. i have looked at many of your posts and i think their great.
i was just hoping some of you guys could tell me some techniques and effects that would make my pictures look as awesome and appealing as your own.

cheers guy:)

Post #1, Dec 16, 2008 08:37:02

Camera: KODAK EasyShare ZD710:p
John Nguyen

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
7,075 posts
Wadsworth, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

First off, be thankful you're starting at a young age instead of like me, a guy your DAD'S age!

I did some searches in the sports picture sharing and talk sections using search terms like 'indoor basketball' or 'football' and received so much info it'll take years to digest.

Recently started shooting HS basketball indoors and without benefit of some of the strobe flash setups some use. I'm getting out of it (not really sharp or well-lit images) as I'm putting into it. Some of my crimes can be corrected to a certain degree using post-processing of images, but they'll never be on par with what you see at SI.com or in ESPN the Magazine.

Big difference between a hobbiest (me) and someone who has to do this for a living. And the ouptut tells the whole story.

Lots of great people here who are patient. Do your homework first and post for clarification as necessary. This seems to work pretty well around here.

dave

Post #2, Dec 16, 2008 08:45:04

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,064 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Welcome to the forum. I came here just a few months ago when I bought my first Canon camera. While I was taking photos, I also spent many hours reading many of the "sticky" threads on this forum and the links in the stickies. I took all the things I read with a big dose of skepticism, but it did lead me to try different things to see if they were true or not. Most of it was true, but some of it is --- shall we say --- personal opinion.

So there is tons of advice already presented here, so I don't feel any need to repeat it to you. All YOU have to do it go READ it and EXPERIMENT. If I can follow it, then anybody can do it.

Can you just imagine a painter like Renoir posting to an internet forum: "How do I paint a masterpiece?" Do you think folks would tell him to go out and read and try painting?

Post #3, Dec 16, 2008 09:02:14 as a reply to snyderman's post 17 minutes earlier.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,732 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Learn by doing.

Get a DSLR, a wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens. Or just get a good point-and-shoot camera - there are plenty of cameras on the market that can handle the job. If you can't afford something new, find something used. Digital cameras let you take lots of pictures and review them without the cost of processing and printing - take advantage of that.

Go to sporting events where you'll be able to go where you want to go - not major-league events, but small-time events where you'll be tolerated. Use the camera. Review your images. That's the best way to learn what works and what doesn't work.

Neil Leiferexternal link was your age when he got curious about sports photography. He grew up to become one of the all-time greats because he found places to take pictures and learned from his experiences. You can do the same thing.

Post #4, Dec 16, 2008 09:25:04

newmms
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
15 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

hahah thanks,but who;s Renoir :S

Post #5, Dec 16, 2008 09:25:32

John Nguyen

sponsored links
newmms
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
15 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

i was thinking of shooting my friends basketball for practice, but i don't think Australian laws lets me take photos of children

Post #6, Dec 16, 2008 09:28:09

John Nguyen

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
Joined May 2008
3,386 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh of course they do, you are 15 and shooting your mates.... I do that all the time!
(I guess if you had a mate who's parent was really stupid about it then maybe you will run into some trouble, but then just put the camera away...)
I did run into trouble at a mates of mine basketball game once, I explained that I knew everyone on both teams and they asked me to shoot for them, and then it was fine....

Post #7, Dec 16, 2008 10:23:34

Mark

danaitch
Joined Aug 2006
381 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Post, post, post.

Learn from constructive criticism, learn from constructive criticism, learn fr... you get the point! ;)

ps And ALWAYS leave your EXIF data intact.

Post #8, Dec 16, 2008 14:38:54 as a reply to Mark's post 4 hours earlier.

TEAM! PRIDE! BLITZ!
www.londonblitz.comexternal link
2007 AND 2009 BAFL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

2x1D Mk.III, 400 f2.8l IS, 70-200 f2.8l IS, 24-70 f2.8l

jocareed
Joined Jul 2003
37 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

danaitch wrote in post #6890404external link
Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Post, post, post.

Learn from constructive criticism, learn from constructive criticism, learn fr... you get the point! ;)

ps And ALWAYS leave your EXIF data intact.

......and how do you leave your EXIF dat intact??? I would like to be able to copy and past the information...any ideas?

Post #9, Dec 16, 2008 16:53:49

clarence
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,204 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

jocareed wrote in post #6891203external link
......and how do you leave your EXIF dat intact??? I would like to be able to copy and past the information...any ideas?

Depends on what image tools you use.

IrfanView (freeware from http://irfanview.comexternal link) will crop and resize and leave original EXIF intact, and/or you can use it to read the EXIF in your original file and copy it to clipboard to paste here.

Picasa (freeware from http://picasa.google.c​omexternal link) leaves EXIF intact too.

And if you want to check EXIF by right-clicking on browser images, check out Opanda iexif (freeware from http://www.opanda.com/​en/iexif/download.htmexternal link)

Post #10, Dec 16, 2008 18:16:39

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.comexternal link

rselinger
Joined Mar 2008
91 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I would also read this, so you know your rights and what's expected of you when you are shooting:

http://4020.net/words/​photorights.phpexternal link

Post #11, Dec 17, 2008 13:06:57

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sporting Photography for beginners
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES