how best to pack a DSLR in a bag?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 19:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dogwalker
Joined Oct 2008
197 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Is it best to pack the camera lens up (and pretty much lift it out of the bag by the lens) or lens down? I'm assuming lens up?

Also, when you set your camera on a desk, do you set it normally, or lay it on its back (e.g. with the lcd down)?

Post #1, Dec 16, 2008 19:55:03

450D | 18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | 50 f/1.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
bauerman
discount on value meals
Joined Apr 2003
3,457 posts
Idaho!
[MORE/SHARE]

I have my shoulder bag configured so that my 20D with a lens attached lays sideways into the bag into the center compartment with the hand grip side up. That way I can quickly pull the camera out and have my finder on the shutter button quickly. Lenses and flash fit in compartments around the camera in the center. I prefer shoulder bags to backpacks for camera equipment.

Post #2, Dec 16, 2008 20:09:15

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,005 posts
Sacramento Ca, Springfield Mo.
[MORE/SHARE]

I put mine in the bag lens up or lengthwise depending on thwe bag I use.

I don't like to put my camera on anything, my hands and bag are safest!

When I upload though I place it far back in the corner in an upright possition, as it would be on a tripod.

~Eric~

Post #3, Dec 16, 2008 20:12:08

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/external link

Chris1le
Joined Aug 2003
891 posts
Gig Harbor, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

I used to carry my bag with lens attached to camera. Until I dropped the bag and the lens mount was ripped off of the camera. Lowepro Slinger 300AW. The camera would have survived if it had not had the lens mounted. I now do not mount the lens until I get to the location I intend to shoot.

Post #4, Dec 16, 2008 20:24:25 as a reply to NeoTokyo's post 12 minutes earlier.

My Picturesexternal link : My Gearexternal link
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage

Rainstir
Joined Oct 2008
87 posts
Pacific Northwest
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't use a bag, I didn't feel right about putting my 50d into something soft. I use a pelican case.. I do leave the lens attached hoping that its cushioned enough to not rip the lens off the body if I were to drop the box.. I have wondered if that is the right thing when using a hard case?

Post #5, Dec 16, 2008 20:35:27

50D, Carl Zeiss f1.4/50mm Planar, Canon 28-135 kit lens.

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...
Joined Jul 2007
11,954 posts
Toronto/Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know if it matters too much. I always put the camera in so that I can remove it by grabbing the grip, not the lens. That way I can get-a-shootin' faster.

Post #6, Dec 16, 2008 21:41:20

Perry | flickrexternal link | C&C ALWAYS welcome | Gear
POTN Toronto | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky [READ THIS]

BLEITH1965
Joined Feb 2007
370 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I always set camera back on bottom of bag with lens attached and lift out using camera strap. :):):)

Post #7, Dec 16, 2008 23:30:05 as a reply to Perry Ge's post 1 hour earlier.

Rafal_BC
Joined Feb 2008
79 posts
Canmore, AB
[MORE/SHARE]

When shooting, the cameras are always on a strap over either shoulder. Storing a camera with a lens attached makes it essentially useless to shoot with, so it's either over a shoulder or stored. The exception is when driving, in that case they're usually rolling around in the passenger footwell.

During transport, all items are individually separated in the bag. I rarely, if ever, pack a camera with lens attached. The exception is in a TT Digital Holster, but then it's more of a quick-draw holster than a camera bag.

When I set the cameras down, it sort of depends in what state it is. With a lens attached, it goes bottom down, lens resting on either tripod collar or hood. Without a lens attached, it can stand on it's bottom so that's fine. Without a lens but with an L-plate, I lay it down so the thing doesn't tip over. Also, rarely do I put my cameras on a desk - it seems to high in case I manage to knock it down. Instead, they're usually on the floor.

I think, really, it comes down to your usage and what bag you're using.

Post #8, Dec 17, 2008 00:32:21

What I doexternal link
What I do it with

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
Joined May 2008
3,386 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Rafal_BC wrote in post #6893805external link
When shooting, the cameras are always on a strap over either shoulder. Storing a camera with a lens attached makes it essentially useless to shoot with, so it's either over a shoulder or stored. The exception is when driving, in that case they're usually rolling around in the passenger footwell.

During transport, all items are individually separated in the bag. I rarely, if ever, pack a camera with lens attached. The exception is in a TT Digital Holster, but then it's more of a quick-draw holster than a camera bag.

When I set the cameras down, it sort of depends in what state it is. With a lens attached, it goes bottom down, lens resting on either tripod collar or hood. Without a lens attached, it can stand on it's bottom so that's fine. Without a lens but with an L-plate, I lay it down so the thing doesn't tip over. Also, rarely do I put my cameras on a desk - it seems to high in case I manage to knock it down. Instead, they're usually on the floor.

I think, really, it comes down to your usage and what bag you're using.

Yep, same here if shooting/walking around camera over my shoulder, spare lens in waistbelt... If going long distance, all seperated in pelican case, if in car in a footweel or boot....

Post #9, Dec 17, 2008 01:07:52

Mark

Terrywoodenpic
Joined Dec 2005
869 posts
Saddleworth England
[MORE/SHARE]

I hunted till I found a shoulder bag that fitted my 40D with 17-55 f2.8 with lens hood in place. It lays flat on the bottom, with the grip upwards. this way it can be taken out and used instantly. A flash is kept in the roof net of the bag. I keep a note book under the front part of the camera lens combination. nothing else is in the main compartment.

Any other lenses that I take with me are usually in my pockets or attached to a waste belt.

I have a Lowepro zoomster type bag but don't care for it.
When I want a big kit, I use my Tamrac pro 8 again with the camera laid flat with lens cradled in the special dividers.

Post #10, Dec 17, 2008 04:28:50

Terry_______________
Over 60 years in photography
wasted money cameras never on film.

kiwichris
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,751 posts
Milford Auckland NZ
[MORE/SHARE]

I have always lifted it out by the lens, it lays flat, never thought to turn it over so the hand grip is up. Thanks every one :)

Post #11, Dec 17, 2008 04:37:32

It's not what you call your own that's important, who calls you their own is. 6D and glass
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/external link

sponsored links
manipula
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
5,290 posts
English Wookie in Wellington, NZ.
[MORE/SHARE]

I always found using one of these worked wonders...

IMAGE: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/hammer-1.jpg

Post #12, Dec 17, 2008 04:38:56

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nzexternal link :: Gear list for the nerdsexternal link :: flickrexternal link :: ModelMayhemexternal link
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

kiwichris
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,751 posts
Milford Auckland NZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Heh, heh heh blimmin' Kiwis :lol:

Post #13, Dec 17, 2008 04:40:35

It's not what you call your own that's important, who calls you their own is. 6D and glass
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/external link

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
3,012 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Geez- I've packed it in every which way but loose, and my wife just pops hers in her regular, non-camera backpack with whatever else is in there, and no problems yet....

Post #14, Dec 17, 2008 04:57:06

dogwalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2008
197 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Dang, you guys are quick. And witty. :-)

Thanks for all the input! I have the bag which came with the 450D kit (200EG, I think), and I'm looking at the 200AW.

From all your different answers, it sounds like nothing to worry about.

Of course, I'm more likely to stumble and drop it or fall on it!

Post #15, Dec 17, 2008 07:59:41

450D | 18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | 50 f/1.8 | 430EX II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,566 views & 0 likes for this thread
how best to pack a DSLR in a bag?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES