Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #1
dogwalker

Default how best to pack a DSLR in a bag?

Is it best to pack the camera lens up (and pretty much lift it out of the bag by the lens) or lens down? I'm assuming lens up?

Also, when you set your camera on a desk, do you set it normally, or lay it on its back (e.g. with the lcd down)?
dogwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #2
bauerman
discount on value meals

Default Re: how best to pack a DSLR in a bag?

I have my shoulder bag configured so that my 20D with a lens attached lays sideways into the bag into the center compartment with the hand grip side up. That way I can quickly pull the camera out and have my finder on the shutter button quickly. Lenses and flash fit in compartments around the camera in the center. I prefer shoulder bags to backpacks for camera equipment.
bauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #3
NeoTokyo
Goldmember

I put mine in the bag lens up or lengthwise depending on thwe bag I use.

I don't like to put my camera on anything, my hands and bag are safest!

When I upload though I place it far back in the corner in an upright possition, as it would be on a tripod.

~Eric~
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #4
Chris1le

I used to carry my bag with lens attached to camera. Until I dropped the bag and the lens mount was ripped off of the camera. Lowepro Slinger 300AW. The camera would have survived if it had not had the lens mounted. I now do not mount the lens until I get to the location I intend to shoot.
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #5
Rainstir

I don't use a bag, I didn't feel right about putting my 50d into something soft. I use a pelican case.. I do leave the lens attached hoping that its cushioned enough to not rip the lens off the body if I were to drop the box.. I have wondered if that is the right thing when using a hard case?
Rainstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #6
Perry Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...

I don't know if it matters too much. I always put the camera in so that I can remove it by grabbing the grip, not the lens. That way I can get-a-shootin' faster.
Old 16th of December 2008 (Tue)   #7
BLEITH1965

I always set camera back on bottom of bag with lens attached and lift out using camera strap.
BLEITH1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #8
Rafal_BC

When shooting, the cameras are always on a strap over either shoulder. Storing a camera with a lens attached makes it essentially useless to shoot with, so it's either over a shoulder or stored. The exception is when driving, in that case they're usually rolling around in the passenger footwell.

During transport, all items are individually separated in the bag. I rarely, if ever, pack a camera with lens attached. The exception is in a TT Digital Holster, but then it's more of a quick-draw holster than a camera bag.

When I set the cameras down, it sort of depends in what state it is. With a lens attached, it goes bottom down, lens resting on either tripod collar or hood. Without a lens attached, it can stand on it's bottom so that's fine. Without a lens but with an L-plate, I lay it down so the thing doesn't tip over. Also, rarely do I put my cameras on a desk - it seems to high in case I manage to knock it down. Instead, they're usually on the floor.

I think, really, it comes down to your usage and what bag you're using.

What I do it with
Rafal_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #9
Mark
Dammit I need sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal_BC View Post
When shooting, the cameras are always on a strap over either shoulder. Storing a camera with a lens attached makes it essentially useless to shoot with, so it's either over a shoulder or stored. The exception is when driving, in that case they're usually rolling around in the passenger footwell.

During transport, all items are individually separated in the bag. I rarely, if ever, pack a camera with lens attached. The exception is in a TT Digital Holster, but then it's more of a quick-draw holster than a camera bag.

When I set the cameras down, it sort of depends in what state it is. With a lens attached, it goes bottom down, lens resting on either tripod collar or hood. Without a lens attached, it can stand on it's bottom so that's fine. Without a lens but with an L-plate, I lay it down so the thing doesn't tip over. Also, rarely do I put my cameras on a desk - it seems to high in case I manage to knock it down. Instead, they're usually on the floor.

I think, really, it comes down to your usage and what bag you're using.
Yep, same here if shooting/walking around camera over my shoulder, spare lens in waistbelt... If going long distance, all seperated in pelican case, if in car in a footweel or boot....
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #10
Terrywoodenpic

I hunted till I found a shoulder bag that fitted my 40D with 17-55 f2.8 with lens hood in place. It lays flat on the bottom, with the grip upwards. this way it can be taken out and used instantly. A flash is kept in the roof net of the bag. I keep a note book under the front part of the camera lens combination. nothing else is in the main compartment.

Any other lenses that I take with me are usually in my pockets or attached to a waste belt.

I have a Lowepro zoomster type bag but don't care for it.
When I want a big kit, I use my Tamrac pro 8 again with the camera laid flat with lens cradled in the special dividers.
Terrywoodenpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #11
kiwichris

I have always lifted it out by the lens, it lays flat, never thought to turn it over so the hand grip is up. Thanks every one
kiwichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #12
manipula
Cream of the Crop

I always found using one of these worked wonders...

manipula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #13
kiwichris

Heh, heh heh blimmin' Kiwis
kiwichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #14
The_Camera_Poser
User is banned from forums

Geez- I've packed it in every which way but loose, and my wife just pops hers in her regular, non-camera backpack with whatever else is in there, and no problems yet....
The_Camera_Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #15
dogwalker

Dang, you guys are quick. And witty.

Thanks for all the input! I have the bag which came with the 450D kit (200EG, I think), and I'm looking at the 200AW.

From all your different answers, it sounds like nothing to worry about.

Of course, I'm more likely to stumble and drop it or fall on it!
dogwalker is offline   Reply With Quote