Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 07:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So Glad I dont live in England

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 17, 2008 07:17 |  #1

http://www.amateurphot​ographer.co.uk ...or_swoop_news_27393​7.htmlexternal link

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008
Perth, Australia
Dec 17, 2008 07:21 |  #2

WTFBBQ!!

So she was like covering the wedding with the b&g permission and she was arrested and told she couldn't use the video!!
And held for 45mins!
For all the police could have known she could have been their wedding shooter, and if I was shooting a wedding and got arrested, not allowing me to do it there would be a lot of unhappy people!
Not good....

Mark

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Dec 17, 2008 07:29 |  #3

That is an unfortunate and thankfully rare event. It just happens to have made it into a magazine. Given the relatively small size of our country, it doesnt take much for a story like that to get around within the relatively small world of photographers.

I would imagine that there are similar occurences in the US but, due to the fact that you have 50 states compared to our 4 countries and probably 6 times as many people and a landmass that is huge by comparison, I would imagine that very few instances ever make it to national importance.

That does not make it bad to live over here. I actually quite enjoy it (despite the weather!:p)

I think the individual officers involved will get a hefty kick in the ass for this one

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 17, 2008 07:39 |  #4

neilwood32 wrote in post #6894929external link
That is an unfortunate and thankfully rare event. It just happens to have made it into a magazine. Given the relatively small size of our country, it doesnt take much for a story like that to get around within the relatively small world of photographers.

I would imagine that there are similar occurences in the US but, due to the fact that you have 50 states compared to our 4 countries and probably 6 times as many people and a landmass that is huge by comparison, I would imagine that very few instances ever make it to national importance.

That does not make it bad to live over here. I actually quite enjoy it (despite the weather!:p)

I think the individual officers involved will get a hefty kick in the ass for this one

The problem is, you keep hearing about problems over there between photogs & the apparently over zealous police (where is the common sense)....and the police seem to give the same answer...more training etc...
The part that really bothers me is the claim that she cant use the footage because its police copyright....wtf.. thats the first time I have ever heard that used before....
yes we have more people by a wide margin..but you guys probably have more police cameras in London alone then we have in half the cities here..;)

By the way i would love to come there and get some shots of the architecture and countryside...very beautiful...:D

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

Hedley
190 posts
Joined Apr 2008
UK
Dec 17, 2008 09:18 |  #5

FWIW - if you want to recce an area for nefarious means, you could just use google maps..
It's cheaper and you don't have to go out in the cold.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Dec 17, 2008 09:27 as a reply to digirebelva's post |  #6

This is not isolated to England though their instances of this sort of thing get alot of media play. Mind you the link you provided isn't what we would call normal main stream media that most people outside of photography would read. I tried to find more info about this instance and found this linkexternal link and this oneexternal link. If one scours the media pages from around the world you will find this happening in virtually every corner of the world.

She was highlighted on a news magazine television show that I watched just a couple of days ago and it would appear that she attracts this type of attention quite regularly.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 17, 2008 09:27 |  #7

Hedley wrote in post #6895460external link
FWIW - if you want to recce an area for nefarious means, you could just use google maps..
It's cheaper and you don't have to go out in the cold.

Gotta love google :D;)

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Dec 17, 2008 09:27 |  #8

Speaking last month, a spokesman for the NPIA told AP: 'There has been no change in the law. The Practice Advice reminds officers that they can only stop and search photographers in exceptional cases where they are involved in some kind of terrorist informational gathering activity.'

Either someone never gets the word, or some self important dufi just like to spoil someones day.

It's not just England. They're everywhere.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Dec 17, 2008 11:31 |  #9

Just about every terrorist reconnaissance team in the world uses a Canon 1D Makk II. Don't forget most terrorist organizations are funded by oil money, so they can afford $6,000 cameras.

Hehe.

Those coppers are a little over zealous I would say. :)

Gear List

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Anywhere where ski World cup makes its stop
Dec 17, 2008 11:47 |  #10

England, Italy, USA, Slovenia.... it's same sh*t everywhere. Nowadays police has their own brains, or to be exact, lack of them, backed with all sorts of anti-terrorist laws. They got whole lot of authority, and they use it from time to time. My last incident was in Italy few months back, when few of us almost got arrested covering road cycling World Championships. Policeman decided we can't be on track even though we all had proper accreditations, photo bibs etc.. On beginning we weren't really happy, and after few minutes of, let's call it discussion, he was calling for help and waving around with handcuffs, trying to arrest about 10 of us. We were smart enough to move to different part of course rather to get arrested and spent rest of race in jail instead of shooting it.
But as I said... it's same everywhere... you have few brain dead, or as they call them, not trained enough, idiots with guns everywhere, no matter what country or continent it is. All we can do is to hope, we don't meet those few idiots. Huge majority those guys are fine, but there's always chance to have bad luck and meet wrong one.

PhotoSIexternal link | Latest sport photosexternal linkhttp://www.photo.siexternal link

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008
O-H
Dec 17, 2008 11:55 |  #11

The irony of anti-terrorism laws is they don't prevent terrorism; but rather terrorize the taxpayer for whom the government ought to protect.

Christian

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Dec 17, 2008 11:56 |  #12

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #6896350external link
The irony of anti-terrorism laws is they don't prevent terrorism; but rather terrorize the taxpayer to whom the government ought to protect.

quoted for truth.

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Dec 17, 2008 11:57 |  #13

When things like this happen, the terrorists have won, because they changed our lives.

For the worse.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

NorCalAl
966 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Paradise, CA, USA
Dec 17, 2008 18:36 |  #14

First of all, don't get the idea cause we're big, the small stories don't make it to the national headlines. Anything the media thinks they can make a buck on or sounds interesting makes it to the headlines. This is the world of the internet folks, it don't matter how big you are or how small the story is.

Second, the denominator principle comes into play. In other words, you take a small story or number of stories (like 15 people in the USA getting flesh eating disease) and you don't use the denominator (of 300 million who live here). The story's interesting so it gets tons of press. However, no measuring stick is used. Doesn't matter how many people die but now the public is scared of flesh-eating bacteria.

Third, add the blame game. No matter how small the number of incidents nor how much they are spread out, someone somewhere should have known. After all, the role of government is to know everything ahead of time and protect us from it, right?

Fourth, we have the 'more laws' dynamic. We have laws that prevent things (like felons can't own guns, for instance), but it doesn't work. So instead of enforcing that law, they make new laws that restrict EVERYONE now, instead of just those who would commit the crimes. On a gun forum I belong to, one guy has a signature that reads something like: The speed limit in town is 25mph. Some guy went through last night at 65mph! So in order to prevent that, the town dropped the speed limit to 15mph.

Then you add overzealous cops who (given all the above) are rightly terrified that if they did allow someone that shouldn't be somewhere to remain and something did happen - the scapegoat would be him. What's amazing is that it doesn't happen more often.

So what you end up with is 19 guys crashed four airplanes one time and now we can't take pictures of bridges.

What's really scary is some people see the logic in all this.

Gear List

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007
Bedford, MA
Dec 17, 2008 18:40 |  #15

Why can't we just get voluntary licenses? You need em for guns, you need em to drive? WTH? Run a friggin background check on me and give me a fool proof ID. Trouble is, no one is going to stand up for us if we don't stand up for ourselves. They can't criticize if there is no real law, or structure that's been implemented to address this type of thing! So I think everyone is erring on the side of caution b/c they don't know what to do.

Cleo
50D
smugmugexternal link

sponsored links

1,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
So Glad I dont live in England
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.