Shutter button getting soft..?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 17:39   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

virus
Joined Jul 2008
46 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a 40D, and of late i notice when i press the shutter button it doesnt always fire. Even when the lens is set to manual it wont always fire immediately.

Imagine being at a wedding or something and u totally missed the action?!?

Long story short the button isnt as sensitive as it used to be.. can i do anything to it? or should it be sent back to the factory? is it normal?

Post #1, Dec 17, 2008 17:39:08

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
James ­ Salenger
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,649 posts
Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

Very strange problem, I will try to answer. The shutter actuation is a combination
of mechanical and electronic function. I would send it back as more than likely your
problem is a faulty shutter release button. I doubt you have worn out the shutter and
are having some sort of glitch, (manufacturing) problem. sorry, $750+ US, just doesn't
buy what is used to.

Post #2, Dec 18, 2008 00:55:12

I may not be the village idiot, but I'll do until
he gets here.

Ad ­ B
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2008
18 posts
Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Virus,
I (and others) have that problem to.:(
Read this tread:
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=6901111#post6​901111
Try the solution I've posted there or let the shutterbutton unit be replaced.

By the way, when you have a remote control or a battery grip on the camera,
these shutterbuttons will work perfectly.:cool:

Regards
Ad B

Post #3, Dec 18, 2008 02:22:39 as a reply to James Salenger's post 1 hour earlier.

Captain Chaos loves his 40 d with a few quite (light)sensitive lenses + one L walk-around (24-105), Canon 580 external flash and other stuff...

MadisonPhotography
Joined Dec 2008
355 posts
Western Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

I had same problem with my 40D after about 40,000 exposures. Sometimes the button worked, sometimes not.

Was just out of warranty and Canon wanted basically the cost of a new 40D body. Luckily, and for some reason not clear to me yet....I have never done it before or since, I bought the full coverage extended warranty from Circuit City....yeah I know, Circuit CIty.

I sent the camera in and about 3 weeks later I had a Circuit CIty gift card for the full amount...only drawback was that I had to spend it at Circuit City so I bought something else there and bought a new 40D body at Costco for around $800...

So yes, the condition does exist...

Post #4, Dec 18, 2008 11:35:40

Nick

virus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
46 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I tried the twisting and turning thing, and it sorta worked..
i need to conduct some more test tho, but thanks for the help

Post #5, Dec 19, 2008 11:23:33

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
bauerman
discount on value meals
Joined Apr 2003
3,457 posts
Idaho!
[MORE/SHARE]

I picked up some electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack - held the camera upside down and worked a small amount of it in and around my 20D shutter button and it works as good as new. The contacts can just get dirty.

The contact cleaner dries quickly and cleanly and does not leave any residue on the camera or the outside of the shutter button.

Post #6, Dec 19, 2008 12:53:28

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,732 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Shutter buttons wear out or shift with use. Had the same problem, sent the camera to Canon, they fixed it under warranty. Took about a week.

Post #7, Dec 19, 2008 13:30:57

beepclick
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
1,850 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you need to send your shutter finger in for servicing. Obviously, it has lost power...lol

Post #8, Dec 19, 2008 14:19:31

Gear http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

DrMitch
Joined Dec 2008
280 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

Arrrrghh - not ONE day after reading this thread - my trusty 300D Dig Rebel shutter button starts to go!!! The twisty thing works fro one or two shots then - NADA - and here I was gonna sell it last week cause i saw a great deal on a 50D!!!! I'm quite sure the replacement cost is MUCH more than this body is worth unfortunately - oh well, will have to take a lot of protrait shots (which I do anyway) until I can afford a new body - now I may have to wait on getting the 70-200L - no point having a lens with no body!!!

Post #9, Dec 21, 2008 00:08:32

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
40D - Sigma 10-20 - Tamron 17-50/2.8 - Canon 50/1.8 - Canon 100/2.8Macro - Canon 70-200 F4L - Canon 420EX - Crumpler 7MDH and a few Lowepro bags
Flickr Collectionexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shutter button getting soft..?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES