Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of December 2008 (Wed)   #1
virus

Default Shutter button getting soft..?

I have a 40D, and of late i notice when i press the shutter button it doesnt always fire. Even when the lens is set to manual it wont always fire immediately.

Imagine being at a wedding or something and u totally missed the action?!?

Long story short the button isnt as sensitive as it used to be.. can i do anything to it? or should it be sent back to the factory? is it normal?
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of December 2008 (Thu)   #2
James Salenger

Default Re: Shutter button getting soft..?

Very strange problem, I will try to answer. The shutter actuation is a combination
of mechanical and electronic function. I would send it back as more than likely your
problem is a faulty shutter release button. I doubt you have worn out the shutter and
are having some sort of glitch, (manufacturing) problem. sorry, $750+ US, just doesn't
buy what is used to.
James Salenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of December 2008 (Thu)   #3
Ad B

Hi Virus,
I (and others) have that problem to.
Read this tread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...11#post6901111
Try the solution I've posted there or let the shutterbutton unit be replaced.

By the way, when you have a remote control or a battery grip on the camera,
these shutterbuttons will work perfectly.

Regards
Ad B
Old 18th of December 2008 (Thu)   #4
MadisonPhotography

I had same problem with my 40D after about 40,000 exposures. Sometimes the button worked, sometimes not.

Was just out of warranty and Canon wanted basically the cost of a new 40D body. Luckily, and for some reason not clear to me yet....I have never done it before or since, I bought the full coverage extended warranty from Circuit City....yeah I know, Circuit CIty.

I sent the camera in and about 3 weeks later I had a Circuit CIty gift card for the full amount...only drawback was that I had to spend it at Circuit City so I bought something else there and bought a new 40D body at Costco for around $800...

So yes, the condition does exist...
MadisonPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of December 2008 (Fri)   #5
virus

I tried the twisting and turning thing, and it sorta worked..
i need to conduct some more test tho, but thanks for the help
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of December 2008 (Fri)   #6
bauerman
discount on value meals

I picked up some electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack - held the camera upside down and worked a small amount of it in and around my 20D shutter button and it works as good as new. The contacts can just get dirty.

The contact cleaner dries quickly and cleanly and does not leave any residue on the camera or the outside of the shutter button.
bauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of December 2008 (Fri)   #7
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Shutter buttons wear out or shift with use. Had the same problem, sent the camera to Canon, they fixed it under warranty. Took about a week.
DC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of December 2008 (Fri)   #8
beepclick

I think you need to send your shutter finger in for servicing. Obviously, it has lost power...lol

beepclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of December 2008 (Sun)   #9
DrMitch

Arrrrghh - not ONE day after reading this thread - my trusty 300D Dig Rebel shutter button starts to go!!! The twisty thing works fro one or two shots then - NADA - and here I was gonna sell it last week cause i saw a great deal on a 50D!!!! I'm quite sure the replacement cost is MUCH more than this body is worth unfortunately - oh well, will have to take a lot of protrait shots (which I do anyway) until I can afford a new body - now I may have to wait on getting the 70-200L - no point having a lens with no body!!!
DrMitch is offline   Reply With Quote