Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Dec 2008 (Saturday) 01:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1Ds

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 27, 2008 01:57 |  #1

Is the 1Ds the Rodney Dangerfield of the Canon line? I'm just curious. I saw a used one for sale on "that other forum" for $1k. It was well used. I'm not thinking of getting one but I did a quick search here and there and there is little mention of this camera. Most Canon cameras have a following of sorts and threads dedicated to it. I couldn't find one for the Ds. At least my search didn't turn up anything.

Hey give me a break. This is an insomnia night.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Searcy, AR
Dec 27, 2008 06:18 |  #2

The 1Ds line is part of Canon's flagship EOS-1 line. There are many more users of the 1.3x crop high speed cameras than there are of the full frame 1Ds line here from what I can tell. That's probably why they are fewer threads about it. Also since the introduction of the 5D, most of the full frame shooters I know are using a 5D or 5D Mark II. The original 1Ds was an awesome camera in its time.

Gear, Feedback (eBayexternal link), Webexternal link, Blogexternal link, FBexternal link, Twitterexternal link

Jim ­ Schemel
333 posts
Joined Dec 2007
USA
Dec 27, 2008 06:58 as a reply to jacuff's post |  #3

When most are considering FF they opt for the 5D, much better high iso abilities than the 1Ds and about the same money.
-Jim

Canon 1DsII / Sony Nex 5N
Zeiss 50 Planar f1.4 ZF
Canon FD Lenses
flickrexternal link
FM Feedbackexternal link

Grantland
34 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Dec 27, 2008 07:11 |  #4

people say it is great when light is plentiful.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,185 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Dec 27, 2008 07:12 |  #5

The 1Ds line has always been very expensive, with a limited target audience. Most professional photographers today are better served with the 1D cameras or the 5D. It is a little bit of a rare person that needs that combination of high resolution, weather sealing and 1 series AF so badly that they will pay the $8000 to get it.

I would say that the very first 1Ds at 11.1 MP made more sense in it's day when there was no 5D FF alternative and the concurrent 1D model was 4 MP.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 27, 2008 09:59 as a reply to JeffreyG's post |  #6

I thought maybe that was the case. It looks like the 5D came along and trumped the 1Ds. The 1Ds I saw was well used by a portrait photographer. Said it was never out of the studio and was a back up.

But still, for $1000? That was hours ago, I'll bet it's gone by now.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
Dec 27, 2008 10:20 |  #7

Who is Rodney Dangerfield?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Searcy, AR
Dec 27, 2008 10:23 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #6952229external link
Who is Rodney Dangerfield?

American comedian. One of his taglines was "I don't get no respect."

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Rodney_Dangerfi​eldexternal link

Gear, Feedback (eBayexternal link), Webexternal link, Blogexternal link, FBexternal link, Twitterexternal link

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Dec 27, 2008 10:24 |  #9

Is the 1Ds the Rodney Dangerfield of the Canon line?
... I did a quick search here and there and there is little mention of this camera.

Funny you should mention that. I am getting ready to buy a used 1DS. I think it will be a good addition to bodies and lenses I already have.....and my plan is to use it as my "fine arts" camera. I also want the weather sealing it has. I posted a question on this forum a few weeks ago about this model, and got ZERO replies ! So yes....I think it's true....there just are not many who have this camera hanging out on this board. When I get one, I'll post up my impressions. Now that they are "old hat", a nice one can be had for US$1500 or so. It should be fun.

George W

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Chimping around Brazil since 1973! (Sometimes NYC)
Dec 27, 2008 12:29 |  #10

I have one and love it. It is more than capable and definitely more than my abilities can handle. I have yet to make use of the more advanced custom functions. Surely the 5D has better noise handling, but that does not make the 1Ds' images at high ISO junk. And if you take good care at exposure and/or add a touch of noise removal, you'll be highly amazed at its results. People complaining about noise are related to pixel-peepers. I'd definitely snatch another 1Ds for 1K (I confess, I tried hunting for that 1K 1Ds but did not find it). When the 1Ds2 comes down in price a bit more (~1.5-1.8K) I'll be loving my classic still. For casual and high ISO requirements, I use my XTi... and that's not too often. I tried searching POTN, and I've noticed that a lot of the older 1Ds threads did not show up... POTN search database underwent some cleaning/purging?

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

lawmans3
434 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Wyoming
Dec 27, 2008 14:19 as a reply to ebann's post |  #11

I had the 1Ds MK I and it was a great camera! It has much more noise by todays standards but it produces very nice images! You'll be very happy with it.

1Dx, 1DsMK3, 1DMK3, 100L f2.8 Macro, 85L 1.2 II, 50 L 1.2,17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 L f2.8 IS, 100-400 L[COLOR=black], 24-105 L
, 14IIL

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Dec 27, 2008 15:10 |  #12

.....it produces very nice images! You'll be very happy with it.

I'm looking forward to it for a couple of reasons. I really want to see what this whole big deal is about "using a one series". I also would like my wide angle lenses to act like real wide angle.
I just think it will be fun, and that is why I pursue all this anyway: just for fun. And at $1500 they are now down to where they are affordable.....so I'm going to go for it.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

staffer
106 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Dec 27, 2008 15:58 |  #13

I still use my 1Ds frequently. I also have a 5d and I don't consider them interchangeable when choosing a camera for a specific job. I often shoot in industrial locations that would choke my 5D (I've tried and won't do it again). Dust, moisture, fumes, dirt, dings and smacks are among the constant assault on my 1Ds when I'm in foundrys, steel mills... etc. shooting annual reports. Image quality rarely enters the equation, I get images good enough from both cameras. Getting the shot without worrying about my equipment keeping up is more important. The 5D has better low noise performance, but that means squat if my mind is occupied with babying the camera.
The 1-series and d3's exist because working pros need their cameras to perform at a certain level. If you need it, get it.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 27, 2008 18:40 |  #14

If the 1k camera is still available it was on fredmiranda.com.

ebann wrote in post #6952749external link
I have one and love it. It is more than capable and definitely more than my abilities can handle. I have yet to make use of the more advanced custom functions. Surely the 5D has better noise handling, but that does not make the 1Ds' images at high ISO junk. And if you take good care at exposure and/or add a touch of noise removal, you'll be highly amazed at its results. People complaining about noise are related to pixel-peepers. I'd definitely snatch another 1Ds for 1K (I confess, I tried hunting for that 1K 1Ds but did not find it). When the 1Ds2 comes down in price a bit more (~1.5-1.8K) I'll be loving my classic still. For casual and high ISO requirements, I use my XTi... and that's not too often. I tried searching POTN, and I've noticed that a lot of the older 1Ds threads did not show up... POTN search database underwent some cleaning/purging?

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Lafayette, CA
Dec 27, 2008 19:07 |  #15

There is one on the local Bay Area (sf) craigslist for $950.

http://sfbay.craigslis​t.org/pen/pho/97041855​0.htmlexternal link

:D 16-35IIL, 50L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 200L F2.

sponsored links

1,388 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Ds
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.