Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 01:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 40D Owners - Share Tips and Pics

BKGInc
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
California
Dec 30, 2008 01:34 |  #1

Just and observation and am curious........

With the new releases of the 50D and now the 5D-II it seems that a whole bunch of people are dumping their 40D's and first generation 5D's to upgrade.

How many of us 40D owners are out there and are going to stick with what we have and wait longer to upgrade bodies? I took the camera body upgrade plunge from the 30D to the 40D both within a year and I don't feel like doing it again.

To be honest, I love my 40D and am perfectly happy with my current body and lens setup and am actually thinking of adding more First Class L Glass!!! :D

**EDIT BY CDS***

We have a growing number of *Fan clubs revolving around specific bodies.
I thought I'd make a collection of them, so we can find them and keep them organized (merge in new ones etc)

The Master list is here

Feel free to point us to other models or threads that could be merged.

* WARNING: By posting in this or any of the linked threads you are wholly admitting in no uncertain terms that you are a snot nosed, milk drinking, knee biting, curtain climbing unabashed Canon Fanboy who's opinions must be taken with several large grains of kosher salt.

5DSR Gripped | 16-35 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 600EX-RT x2 | Yongnuo YN-E3-RT
Zenfolio (external link)
facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
ofdphoto
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,557 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Newcastle, Australia
Dec 30, 2008 01:35 |  #2

If I hadn't moved 90% of my kit to full-frame recently, I wouldn't have just sold my 40D. GREAT camera. Superb for the price.

Luke
Newcastle headshot photographerexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link | Blogexternal link

richierich1212
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Vallejo, California (SF Bay Area)
Dec 30, 2008 01:36 |  #3

If I had the chance to upgrade I would do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise 40D for me.

Gearlist ยท Feedback

RyanK
186 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Southern California.
Dec 30, 2008 01:37 |  #4

I'm sticking with my 40D. I am more than happy with mine. Probably will upgrade to a 5D sometime in the middle of next year though.

OREGON | Canon 40D For Sale!
#2 BCS - Next year boys.

willstar
Goldmember
4,188 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Brisbane .............. Location: Australia ............. Location: 4152
Dec 30, 2008 01:38 |  #5

I'm with you, BGK - I changed form a 400D I bought Sept 07 to the 40D I bought earlier this year, and am pretty happy with it, considering my photographic skill level. My next body change will most likely be to full frame, but it's way down the track. I've found that the money is better spent in the glass - took me a while to figure that, but I got there in the end!

Either way, I know this little hobby will continue to cost.....

David
Gear List: 40D w/BG-E2N | G12 | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L[COLOR=black] IS | 28-300L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 + 682B/3229 | 580EX x2 | Crumpler W&C + 4 MDH + 7MDH
Our Smugmugexternal link

magnum703
121 posts
Joined May 2008
Toronto
Dec 30, 2008 01:51 |  #6

I love my 40D. I'm sticking with it until some major upgrade is in place.... or I need fullframe for weddings! ha ha...

ED

40D w/grip, 50 f1.4, 17-40L, 70-200 f2.8 ISL, EF extender 1.4x II, 580EXII, 430EX

www.footprintstudios.c​aexternal link

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008
Near the desert
Dec 30, 2008 02:24 |  #7

Even if I get a 5DmkII, I will still keep my 40D. It is different beast. Besides, I can't let go of my Sigma 30 1.4 which will not work on FF. :)

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rigexternal link
Gear
my Google+ Profileexternal link

S2IS-SA
28 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Johannesburg, South Africa
Dec 30, 2008 03:18 |  #8

Staying with my 40D...it was an upgrade from a 350D, so was a pretty big jump at the time. I love my 40D...don't see anything compelling enough in the 50D to warrant an upgrade at this stage. Have invested in more good glass instead.

Dave - South Africa
Canon EOS 5D MkII/BG-E6, Canon EOS 7D/BG-E7
EF 17-40 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
EF 100 f.2.8 Macro USM, EF 50 f/1.8 USM
EF 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S f/3.5-4.5 USM

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,750 posts
Joined Aug 2006
four seasons in one day
Dec 30, 2008 03:23 |  #9

lukeap69 wrote in post #6968086 (external link)
Even if I get a 5DmkII, I will still keep my 40D. It is different beast. Besides, I can't let go of my Sigma 30 1.4 which will not work on FF. :)

it will work... but the edges will be black - sometimes that looks cool and if not you could always crop them off and at 21mpx the pic would still be HUGE
i have it on good authority that it is beautiful on a 1.3x crop too - no black edges

im staying with my 40D even after i go FF as well, because i have 17-55 & 10-22 that i cant give up, as well as the siggy 30

---------------
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
---------------
anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about

SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Japan
Dec 30, 2008 03:50 |  #10

Keepin' mine even after (if) I buy the 5D II. It's great for sports and tele.

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Dec 30, 2008 03:55 |  #11

i love the 40D. no interest in the 50D or 5D2. 1.6 crop is really a fantastic format. I really can't see myself ever dumping 1.6 crop unless canon makes some really stupid decisions. It definitely has it's own set of advantages over FF. I'd almost feel crippled if I only shot full frame.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,137 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse
Dec 30, 2008 04:19 as a reply to picturecrazy's post |  #12

There's not enough difference to justify an "upgrade" in my case.

And I shoot a crop by choice so no need for the 5D series.

Maybe the 60D?

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Searcy, AR
Dec 30, 2008 04:24 |  #13

I upgraded my 20D bodies to 40D bodies less than a year ago. I ended up selling one of a week before my 5D Mark II arrived. I love how I can crop the 5D Mark II image to the same field of view as a 1.6x crop camera and the image is still 8 Megapixels. That's still big enough for the majority of what I do. I rarely use the 6.5 fps of the 40D, opting to use 1D bodies instead. I also don't have any EF-S lenses, so I'll probably sell my other 40D when its time to buy another 5D Mark II in the summer time.

The 1.6x crop is a convenient format, but I'm probably mostly done with it. I'll still use the Lifepixel converted 40D, though that camera isn't in the normal kit I carry around. The 50D looks nice, but I'm definitely skipping it. If they announce that the 50D replacement will use the LP-E6 batteries used in the 5D Mark II, I might go back to it. The 5D + XXD combo was convenient because they both used the BP-511 batteries. Lots of XXD users will probably complain, but the new battery system really does rock. Longer lasting and easier to manage and monitor multiple batteries. It also means they'll probably need to make a new grip unless they can design the replacement to use the BP-E6. If they make a new grip, maybe they'll include the AF-On button, so that'll make the XXD users happy, right?

Gear, Feedback (eBayexternal link), Webexternal link, Blogexternal link, FBexternal link, Twitterexternal link

twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007
AUSTRALIA
Dec 30, 2008 04:42 |  #14

I'm selling my 40d :D Already found a friend to buy it in preparation for my 5d MKII.

I have 7 glass, so the upgrade is warranted.

Gear List

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)
Dec 30, 2008 04:45 |  #15
banned

Buying 5Dmkii asap.

Then getting a 2nd hand 5D (as 2nd body for event shoots).

Will sell the 40D if a buyer comes, if not, I'll keep it for bird shots or something.

sponsored links

590,820 views & 192 likes for this thread
-= 40D Owners - Share Tips and Pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.