Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 30 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 14:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

24L on its way.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2008 14:03 |  #1

I just wanted to say I hate you all for taking and posting such wonderful photos captured with the 24L. :lol:

I'm just playing. I'm excited. It will be my first "L". (Though I'm not getting it because of the "L".) I really want to do more with low-light, flashless, indoor photography and this should help me tremendously on my crop body.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
caoless
80 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Dec 30, 2008 14:22 |  #2

i'm so debating to pick one up myself.. it was between this or a 35L

40D | Tokina 11-16 | 17-55 IS | 85 1.8 | 580 EX II |
flickrexternal link

RyanK
186 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Southern California.
Dec 30, 2008 14:23 |  #3

I've got the same dilemma as you caoless. I cant decide. :(

OREGON | Canon 40D For Sale!
#2 BCS - Next year boys.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,820 posts
Joined Sep 2005
CT
Dec 30, 2008 14:25 |  #4

Congrats, it's a great lens!

connecticut wedding photographerexternal link

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2008 14:34 as a reply to timnosenzo's post |  #5

caoless wrote in post #6971116external link
i'm so debating to pick one up myself.. it was between this or a 35L

RyanK wrote in post #6971124external link
I've got the same dilemma as you caoless. I cant decide. :(

Yeah... I was stuck between 24 and 35, and originally thought I wanted to go with the 35L in anticipation towards going FF. But then I remembered I won't be going FF for at least another couple of years. So I mounted my 17-55 and approximated the FoV @ 24 and 35 and determined the 24 would work better for what I want/need. So it's now up to B&H to bring me a good, sharp copy. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

braidkid
371 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Dec 30, 2008 14:47 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #6

Excellent choice, enjoy your new lens.

5Dii, 16-35 f4L, 50f1.4, 580ex II, 430ex II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/braidkid/ (external link)

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Kansas City, MO
Dec 30, 2008 15:14 |  #7

I use the 35L on my ff 5D and it is just about perfect for what you describe. I think it is probably the sharpest lens in my collection and has a noticeable color saturation difference from the others.
Years ago (and occasionally now) my primary lens was the f1.4 Summilux on my Leica. It was quite soft wide open but stopped down was extremely good. The 35L is far superior. I've read the 24L and 35L are almost identical in build and picture quality so you should be blown away by the results you will be able to get. Good luck and have fun!

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Dec 30, 2008 15:37 as a reply to KCMO Al's post |  #8

Yeah great choice for your crop... Congrats. And if you ever go FF it rocks on those also.

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dec 30, 2008 16:06 |  #9

I also blame your Canon Ultrasonic cap for my purchase. :lol:

*sigh* The worst part is the wait. Anyone else experience the same thing? That time seem to pass by A LOT sloooOOOOOOooower once you click on the "Buy" button? It feels like I'm watching ice melt in the Arctic.

Julian

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Dec 30, 2008 16:12 |  #10

jwcdds wrote in post #6971737external link
I also blame your Canon Ultrasonic cap for my purchase. :lol:

*sigh* The worst part is the wait. Anyone else experience the same thing? That time seem to pass by A LOT sloooOOOOOOooower once you click on the "Buy" button? It feels like I'm watching ice melt in the Arctic.

I always get stuff from Calumet and they're local. I call and go pick it up or they deliver it next day (business account). This lens seems to get a bad rap and its usually by those that don't own it and have read this or that. I've never had any of the problems that most seem to have this lens. I also still have the FD version of this lens. Its great on FF too. Congrats again and Tom Petty said it best "the waiting is the hardest part"...

RyanK
186 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Southern California.
Dec 30, 2008 16:17 |  #11

Thanks for making me reconsider. I think I'm going to go with the 24L because of my crop body.

OREGON | Canon 40D For Sale!
#2 BCS - Next year boys.

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Holland
Dec 30, 2008 18:00 |  #12

Post some pics when you get it!!

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Halifax, NS
Dec 30, 2008 18:07 |  #13

I've been dying for either the 24L or 35L. I love what I see from the 35 on FF, which makes me want the 24L for my crop - but then I want to buy once only, and I think I'd prefer the 35 if I end up grabbing a FF camera in the next while. I think I could live with the fov of 35 on a crop, but 24 might be a wee bit more attractive. Ahhhh!

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Netherlands, EU
Dec 30, 2008 18:12 |  #14

jwcdds wrote in post #6971010external link
I just wanted to say I hate you all for taking and posting such wonderful photos captured with the 24L. :lol:

I'm just playing. I'm excited. It will be my first "L". (Though I'm not getting it because of the "L".) I really want to do more with low-light, flashless, indoor photography and this should help me tremendously on my crop body.

Congratulations! 24L after all :D.

Good choice, I am sure you will love it!

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Netherlands, EU
Dec 30, 2008 18:15 |  #15

Dorman wrote in post #6972460external link
I've been dying for either the 24L or 35L. I love what I see from the 35 on FF, which makes me want the 24L for my crop - but then I want to buy once only, and I think I'd prefer the 35 if I end up grabbing a FF camera in the next while. I think I could live with the fov of 35 on a crop, but 24 might be a wee bit more attractive. Ahhhh!

Yes, it would be, much closer in length to the diagonal of the sensor. Personally, I just don't get 35 mm, not on FF, and not on APS-C either. 24 mm OTOH is great on either format. Now, on APS-H it might be a different story, although I reckon I'll still dig a 24L on APS-H :D.

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

sponsored links

2,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
24L on its way.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.