Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of January 2009 (Thu)   #1
tfitz

Default Pre-canned Keyword Lists

Hi all;

I was wondering if anyone knew where on the net to get keyword lists that can be imported into Lightroom 2. I have my own, but a concise, already set up hierarchy would be a great place to start in building my own hierarchy. Thanks!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of January 2009 (Fri)   #2
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Pre-canned Keyword Lists

It depends on what you want. If you don't mind paying; the definitive keyword list is available from www.controlledvocabulary.com for $70: http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/...lightroom.html
But I suspect the ControlledVocabulary keyword catalog would be overkill for photographers who aren't selling stock online.

The best free keyword list I've come across was created by Ann Torrence and is available as a Microsoft Excel file: http://www.anntorrence.com/downloads/LR/ATkeywords.xls

I would strongly suggest you read her series of blog posts on Lightroom keywording titled "Getting to Work with Adobe Lightroom",she has some excellent suggestions on keywording strategy, the use of synonyms, etc: http://www.anntorrence.com/blog/2008...adobe-lig.html
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #3
tfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedkaTheConvict View Post
It depends on what you want. If you don't mind paying; the definitive keyword list is available from www.controlledvocabulary.com for $70: http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/...lightroom.html
But I suspect the ControlledVocabulary keyword catalog would be overkill for photographers who aren't selling stock online.

The best free keyword list I've come across was created by Ann Torrence and is available as a Microsoft Excel file: http://www.anntorrence.com/downloads/LR/ATkeywords.xls

I would strongly suggest you read her series of blog posts on Lightroom keywording titled "Getting to Work with Adobe Lightroom",she has some excellent suggestions on keywording strategy, the use of synonyms, etc: http://www.anntorrence.com/blog/2008...adobe-lig.html
Thanks for the link!

Is there an easy way to import this into Lightroom. When I try to import into Lightroom, XLS is not a native format. So is there a "process" that will reliably get this into Lightroom that has already been established?

Thanks again!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #4
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop

I sort of anticipated your question which is why I suggested you read her blog posts on keywording.

First open the file in Excel, then "Save As" a tab-delimited text file. You'll then be able to read the file in any text viewer. The text file can be imported into Lightroom; although I'm not sure why you'll want to do that since some of the keywords will certainly not relate to anything you're doing.

The best thing to do is open the text file and use it as the basis for your own keywording strategy.

The reason Excel was used was to simplify the creating of the keyword hierarchies but it can easily be done with any software that can save a text file (Notepad, WordPad, etc. You'll just have to exercise more care not to mess up the hierarchy.
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #5
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"

This is not a sarcastic comment, but why do you need to buy ($70 ) or download a list of words? Surely you can just describe the image yourself rather than having to look-up words in a list?

As I say I'm not being funny but just wondering...
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #6
tfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight View Post
This is not a sarcastic comment, but why do you need to buy ($70 ) or download a list of words? Surely you can just describe the image yourself rather than having to look-up words in a list?

As I say I'm not being funny but just wondering...
Actually it helps enormously to have a catalog of words and synonyms to have at the ready to apply to an image...I don't have time to type the gory details here, you'll just have to take a leap of faith....or not

I didn't take your comment as sarcastic, just naive. The people who pay $70 for a "subscription" to a vocabulary database know what they're doing much better than you do. These include stock photography houses, professional photographers with a huge client base as well as people like me who are trying to create a robust archiving scheme to have available to pull up a couple of photos out of tens of thousands in seconds. Just "slapping" on some words that you happen to come up with at the time is not the way to do it, as anyone who's tried usually has found out.

As I said, it's not a problem, when you're 1. Lazy or 2. Don't have enough photos where it is necessary to have a robust archiving scheme.

Hope that helps
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #7
tfitz

Quote:
I sort of anticipated your question which is why I suggested you read her blog posts on keywording.

First open the file in Excel, then "Save As" a tab-delimited text file. You'll then be able to read the file in any text viewer. The text file can be imported into Lightroom; although I'm not sure why you'll want to do that since some of the keywords will certainly not relate to anything you're doing.

The best thing to do is open the text file and use it as the basis for your own keywording strategy.

The reason Excel was used was to simplify the creating of the keyword hierarchies but it can easily be done with any software that can save a text file (Notepad, WordPad, etc. You'll just have to exercise more care not to mess up the hierarchy.
Thanks! I figured it was something along the lines of tab or comma delimited (or even '<' delimited), but wanted to make sure I had it right before I went ahead and tried. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 3rd of January 2009 (Sat)   #8
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop

Just on a whim I decided to Google the search terms "~photo ~keyword list" (without the quotes) and I came across several tools that should help you:

Photokeywords.com
Findphotokeywords.com

and several websites with text lists you could copy and incorporate into your own keyword list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfitz View Post
Thanks! I figured it was something along the lines of tab or comma delimited (or even '<' delimited), but wanted to make sure I had it right before I went ahead and tried. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 7th of January 2009 (Wed)   #9
tfitz

Quote:

Thanks Fedka,

I think I will import into Lightroom. I think that having a pre-existing hierarchy is a nice way to start. I can always delete as I go and I think she's right on the money here as I look through it - in terms of keywords and subject relationship. Like I said, ones that are totally irrelevant I'll just remove and/or adjust to an appropriate level in the hierarchy.

Thanks again for the link and the "how-to". I'm sure I could have figured it out, I just wasn't in the mood for the trial and error game.