Pre-canned Keyword Lists

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 01 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 23:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tfitz
Joined Jan 2007
258 posts
Southampton, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi all;

I was wondering if anyone knew where on the net to get keyword lists that can be imported into Lightroom 2. I have my own, but a concise, already set up hierarchy would be a great place to start in building my own hierarchy. Thanks!

Post #1, Jan 01, 2009 23:50:26

~T
GEAR: EOS 5D MK II, 50D, 400D; 24-105/f4 IS L; 85/1.8 USM; 50/f1.4 USM; 50/f1.8; 18-55/f3.5-f5.6; 3 X AB800; AB SB's: 30x60, 32x40; PCB Cyber Commander System; 2 x 430EX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

It depends on what you want. If you don't mind paying; the definitive keyword list is available from www.controlledvocabula​ry.comexternal link for $70: http://www.controlledv​ocabulary.com/products​/lightroom.htmlexternal link
But I suspect the ControlledVocabulary keyword catalog would be overkill for photographers who aren't selling stock online.

The best free keyword list I've come across was created by Ann Torrence and is available as a Microsoft Excel file: http://www.anntorrence​.com/downloads/LR/ATke​ywords.xlsexternal link

I would strongly suggest you read her series of blog posts on Lightroom keywording titled "Getting to Work with Adobe Lightroom",she has some excellent suggestions on keywording strategy, the use of synonyms, etc: http://www.anntorrence​.com ...-work-with-adobe-lig.htmlexternal link

Post #2, Jan 02, 2009 05:10:13

Gear List

tfitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2007
258 posts
Southampton, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #6987026external link
It depends on what you want. If you don't mind paying; the definitive keyword list is available from www.controlledvocabula​ry.comexternal link for $70: http://www.controlledv​ocabulary.com/products​/lightroom.htmlexternal link
But I suspect the ControlledVocabulary keyword catalog would be overkill for photographers who aren't selling stock online.

The best free keyword list I've come across was created by Ann Torrence and is available as a Microsoft Excel file: http://www.anntorrence​.com/downloads/LR/ATke​ywords.xlsexternal link

I would strongly suggest you read her series of blog posts on Lightroom keywording titled "Getting to Work with Adobe Lightroom",she has some excellent suggestions on keywording strategy, the use of synonyms, etc: http://www.anntorrence​.com ...-work-with-adobe-lig.htmlexternal link

Thanks for the link!

Is there an easy way to import this into Lightroom. When I try to import into Lightroom, XLS is not a native format. So is there a "process" that will reliably get this into Lightroom that has already been established?

Thanks again!

Post #3, Jan 03, 2009 11:24:37

~T
GEAR: EOS 5D MK II, 50D, 400D; 24-105/f4 IS L; 85/1.8 USM; 50/f1.4 USM; 50/f1.8; 18-55/f3.5-f5.6; 3 X AB800; AB SB's: 30x60, 32x40; PCB Cyber Commander System; 2 x 430EX

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

I sort of anticipated your question which is why I suggested you read her blog posts on keywording.

First open the file in Excel, then "Save As" a tab-delimited text file. You'll then be able to read the file in any text viewer. The text file can be imported into Lightroom; although I'm not sure why you'll want to do that since some of the keywords will certainly not relate to anything you're doing.

The best thing to do is open the text file and use it as the basis for your own keywording strategy.

The reason Excel was used was to simplify the creating of the keyword hierarchies but it can easily be done with any software that can save a text file (Notepad, WordPad, etc. You'll just have to exercise more care not to mess up the hierarchy.

Post #4, Jan 03, 2009 11:46:39

Gear List

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
Joined Sep 2008
3,070 posts
Bath - England
[MORE/SHARE]

This is not a sarcastic comment, but why do you need to buy ($70 :shock:) or download a list of words? Surely you can just describe the image yourself rather than having to look-up words in a list?

As I say I'm not being funny but just wondering...

Post #5, Jan 03, 2009 12:29:16

Kev

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tfitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2007
258 posts
Southampton, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

NinetyEight wrote in post #6995486external link
This is not a sarcastic comment, but why do you need to buy ($70 :shock:) or download a list of words? Surely you can just describe the image yourself rather than having to look-up words in a list?

As I say I'm not being funny but just wondering...

Actually it helps enormously to have a catalog of words and synonyms to have at the ready to apply to an image...I don't have time to type the gory details here, you'll just have to take a leap of faith....or not ;)

I didn't take your comment as sarcastic, just naive. The people who pay $70 for a "subscription" to a vocabulary database know what they're doing much better than you do. These include stock photography houses, professional photographers with a huge client base as well as people like me who are trying to create a robust archiving scheme to have available to pull up a couple of photos out of tens of thousands in seconds. Just "slapping" on some words that you happen to come up with at the time is not the way to do it, as anyone who's tried usually has found out.

As I said, it's not a problem, when you're 1. Lazy or 2. Don't have enough photos where it is necessary to have a robust archiving scheme.

Hope that helps :)

Post #6, Jan 03, 2009 13:51:15

~T

tfitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2007
258 posts
Southampton, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #6995256external link
I sort of anticipated your question which is why I suggested you read her blog posts on keywording.

First open the file in Excel, then "Save As" a tab-delimited text file. You'll then be able to read the file in any text viewer. The text file can be imported into Lightroom; although I'm not sure why you'll want to do that since some of the keywords will certainly not relate to anything you're doing.

The best thing to do is open the text file and use it as the basis for your own keywording strategy.

The reason Excel was used was to simplify the creating of the keyword hierarchies but it can easily be done with any software that can save a text file (Notepad, WordPad, etc. You'll just have to exercise more care not to mess up the hierarchy.

Thanks! I figured it was something along the lines of tab or comma delimited (or even '<' delimited), but wanted to make sure I had it right before I went ahead and tried. Thanks again for all the help.

Post #7, Jan 03, 2009 13:53:02

~T

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

Just on a whim I decided to Google the search terms "~photo ~keyword list" (without the quotes) and I came across several tools that should help you:

Photokeywords.comexternal link
Findphotokeywords.comexternal link

and several websites with text lists you could copy and incorporate into your own keyword list.

tfitz wrote in post #6995940external link
Thanks! I figured it was something along the lines of tab or comma delimited (or even '<' delimited), but wanted to make sure I had it right before I went ahead and tried. Thanks again for all the help.

Post #8, Jan 03, 2009 15:48:29

Gear List

tfitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2007
258 posts
Southampton, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #6995256external link

Thanks Fedka,

I think I will import into Lightroom. I think that having a pre-existing hierarchy is a nice way to start. I can always delete as I go and I think she's right on the money here as I look through it - in terms of keywords and subject relationship. Like I said, ones that are totally irrelevant I'll just remove and/or adjust to an appropriate level in the hierarchy.

Thanks again for the link and the "how-to". I'm sure I could have figured it out, I just wasn't in the mood for the trial and error game.

Post #9, Jan 07, 2009 21:02:20

~T

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pre-canned Keyword Lists
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES