Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 15 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 19:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Mar 15, 2005 19:45 |  #1

Many, many people have some great avatars here. So many people change them since they go out and take another great shot or get tired of their old one. Sometimes people don't even notice them, even though they're always around.

And sometimes I know that I want to hear the story behind an Avatar, or the meaning.

So post your avatar here! Past or present, so long as you used it as an avatar at some time. Stories and meanings are very welcome. And please post your avatar inside the thread - you might change it in a week... :-)

Mine:

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/avatarwolf.jpg
I kinda like wolves... This was from the last Great Canadian Photo Shoot, GCPS III, in January 2005. No story to it - except that I kinda like wolves...

For those of you without an avatar, please note that I recently posted a tutorial on how to create one. Creating An Avatar in Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro (and Elements, I think)

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,162 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Mar 15, 2005 20:38 |  #2

Here's mine. Utah is one of my favorite states, and Delicate Arch is probably the best known symbol of Utah. I had some decent shots of it taken last August at sunset, but then I saw a post card showing a darker scene with full moon. I knew it had been severely doctored, but I liked it. So, I doctored one of my shots in PS by darkening and bringing in a full moon from a shot taken in Seattle a couple years ago.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

OceanRider
692 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Whitby, near Toronto
Mar 15, 2005 21:05 |  #3

I love the beach and palm trees.....I tried to down load a pic that I shot but cant get it sized right...its keeps saying "too big"....so I found this online...

Cheers!

Canon 20D X 2 & 580EX
Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
LumiQuest Pro Max; Omnibounce; Newton Di100CR

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005
The Left Coast in the Land of Fruits and Nuts
Mar 15, 2005 21:17 |  #4

I am an avid sport bike nut. I wish my avatar was a photo of me in action. It was not even taken by me. I pulled it off the net as free wallpaper. It is a photo of one of my heroes, Miguel DuHamel. He rides for my marque, Honda, and holds many AMA championships. I also admire him because he is one of the oldest active riders still winning contending for said national chamionships.
Here my avatar.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER
3,130 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Millstone Township, NJ
Mar 15, 2005 21:19 as a reply to OceanRider's post |  #5

When I first got my 20D and 300/4L, I was so excited it just had to be my avatar:

IMAGE: http://www.casciola.com/pics/avatar60.jpg

Then I thought it should be a picture of myself, but I decided to hide my ugly mug behind the camera, and I layered it in Photoshop so I could change the backdrop from time to time instead of changing the entire Avatar. It is F1 season after all.

IMAGE: http://www.casciola.com/pics/avatar_me_80_2.gif

But Scottes, I have to say I miss your previous Avatar. You get used to recognizing someones posts by their Avatar, and when they switch it it takes a while to get used to the new one. There was just something about the last one that made me laugh. Come on, let's see it.......

Philip Casciola
Pro Camera Gearexternal link - POTN Shopexternal link
Canon 7D, EF 50/1.8, EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4L IS, EF-S 18-55, Tamron 28-75/2.8, EF 70-200/2.8L IS
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Mar 15, 2005 21:31 as a reply to pcasciola's post |  #6

Shortly after the 300D Rebel was released, there was a lot of discussion about the color; it seems most people were more than a little upset that Canon chose to make it silver. I was shooting a 10D at the time, and thought all the hubbub about the color was a little silly. I took a stock photo of a 10D and made it red. I just thought a red camera was somehow appropriate to the discussion going on at the time.

I recently resurrected it, mainly becuase it's easier to find my own posts when scrolling through a page of them. The red stands out pretty well. Maybe someday I'll do a red 1D MkII.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Mills
Goldmember
4,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Mar 15, 2005 22:35 |  #7

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

This is the first image that I ever sold. And I think my best Fireground photograph to date. One of the first shots that I took at a wind driven 4-11 alarm fire in Chicago last April.

Mills
1D Mark II & 5D
50 f1.4 16-35 f2.8L 24-70 f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L IS 580 EX & 550 EX Gitzo Mono & Tri Pods Apple iMac G5 & 17 Inch Powerbook

Box Alarm Imagesexternal link
http://www.myspace.com​/millz11external link Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.:p

MegaTrixel
580 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Mar 15, 2005 22:41 as a reply to Belmondo's post |  #8

This is my old avatar. It's a photo of me taken by a friend of mine while we were photographing the Matanuska glacier.

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Here's the complete image.
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/36945362.jpg

From that position I took this shot of my friend's wife hiking on the glacier.
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/40865703.jpg

Edit: These shots look too blue from my work monitor. Hope it looks more like real ice to everyone else.:)

Avalanche!!! And Other Alaska Imagesexternal link

ppuga
270 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Mexico City
Mar 15, 2005 22:49 |  #9

Well.

My avatar is me, doing my hobbie and what i like the most. Racing.

I do Tarmac Rally most of the time and but I try to practice a lot on track, this picture was taken two weeks ago, in the Guadalajara Race Track here in México. I was giving track driving lessons, to some buddys of our Car Club.

The car is a Renault Clio Sport, year 2003, it has 180hps . Its like a little rocket! jeje

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

:D

Cheers!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ppuga
pablopuga.comexternal link
forografia.comexternal link

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Mar 15, 2005 23:02 as a reply to ppuga's post |  #10

I like big cats so I have used these 2 avatars recently.

On a forum like this I feel it like a must that the avatar is made from a photo of my own.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

ElleG83
149 posts
Joined Mar 2005
San Marcos, TX
Mar 15, 2005 23:12 |  #11

my avatar is a pic of me after a bad day at school. i had 6 margaritas and was felling a lot better to say the least! and of course i was making them myself so they were continually getting stronger as the night went on. my friend grabbed my camera and started taking pictures of me... and got some pretty funny ones. i played around with the image in ps and even edited out the piece of pepper between my two front teeth that NO ONE chose to tell me about that night, but showed up in every picture. being behind the camera it's hard to come by a decent photo of myself. i usually ike to see avatars of the actual person i'm talking to.:)

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 20D :-D
75-300mm
35-80mm
17-40L
50mm 1.4

pradeep1
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Georgia, USA
Mar 16, 2005 00:06 |  #12

I used to use a photo of my cousin's baby...since I was still in my digital infancy stages. I then changed it to a Spiderman avatar, because I liked Spiderman 2 when it came out. I then went to another photo of my cousin's baby, but this time with a funny expression and I liked that. Finally, after hiding behind the camera, I decided that I should let people see how I look, so I am here with this one now.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Please view my portfolioexternal link.

pradeep1
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Georgia, USA
Mar 16, 2005 00:07 |  #13

The other two...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Please view my portfolioexternal link.

shortie
410 posts
Joined May 2004
UK
Mar 16, 2005 01:39 |  #14

Hi

Mine is just a pic of my car - kinda liked the angle and I love cars ;)

Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Shortie

Reigh ­ Higgins
Goldmember
3,036 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Nova Scotia , Canada
Mar 16, 2005 06:18 |  #15

My avatar is my girl Sheba. She is a retired Canada Customs Detector Dog and will celebrate her 10th birthday on March 23rd.

" This world is a canvas to our imagination."
- Henry David Thoreau

sponsored links

97,222 views & 34 likes for this thread
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.