FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Jan 2009 (Monday) 11:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bbbdco
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2005
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm kind of new, so I need some help. I have a 20D currently. I have the opportunity to purchase an "almost" new Mark iii for $3200. The Mark III has only 50 actuations!!! Virtually never used..original box with all accessories. It's never even been registered with Canon, so I would be able to register it under my name. The serial number (539744) indicates that it is from the batch that requires a Canon submirror fix. Are the cameras getting the "fix" just as good as the one's coming out of the factory? I'm just wanting some input as to whether this is an okay deal. It's several hundred dollars cheaper than a new out of the box camera. I've also looked at used Mark IIn cameras. They would be a few hundred dollars cheaper. I'm not an avid sports photographer, but enjoy nature/wildlife in addition to many other types of photography. Thanks for any help you can give me in making a decision on this.

Dan

Post #1, Jan 05, 2009 11:37:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tunin
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,187 posts
New York, NY - Medjugorje, BiH
[MORE/SHARE]

When was the camera originally purchased? Warranty question? I would go for it if the warranty is valid at least a 10 months from now... Also, where do you live, in case you have a problem, are you able to drive to NJ or the CA service center as I heard it takes forever for one to get it fixed if mailed in... if a problem occurred, of course.

Post #2, Jan 05, 2009 11:43:35

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.netexternal link
*** Amateur tools ***

amyandmark3
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
1,796 posts
Indianapolis, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Dan,
I just bought a used Blue Dot mkIII and it works perfectly. My serial number starts with 55xxxx just for reference. As for if a 'fixed' one works as well as ones that are more recent and don't need 'fixed,' you will get answers on both sides of the fence. All I can say is that I'm pleased with mine in all shooting applications including birds in flight and low light candids....focusing in those 2 situations is WAY BETTER with my mkIII than with my previous 5D and 40D. Good luck.

Mark

Post #3, Jan 05, 2009 18:02:25

Mark

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...
Joined Jul 2007
11,954 posts
Toronto/Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Read some of the MKIII stickies at the top of this forum - there's a lot of good information there. Getting the fix doesn't guarantee a perfect MKIII. But if you get a perfect MKIII, woooh it's hard to beat.

Post #4, Jan 05, 2009 18:04:38

Perry | flickrexternal link | C&C ALWAYS welcome | Gear
POTN Toronto | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky [READ THIS]

echo
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
1,963 posts
A recording studio somewhere in the UK or USA
[MORE/SHARE]

It sounds kind of a little strange, only 50 shots etc for a body that is well over a year old.

Post #5, Jan 05, 2009 18:06:34

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProductionexternal link

sponsored links
danielyamseng
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
2,029 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Maybe the guys just bought it for collection :).I guess if the sale is really genuine then you're pretty lucky guy.

Post #6, Jan 05, 2009 20:16:11 as a reply to echo's post 2 hours earlier.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,036 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

echo wrote in post #7011506external link
It sounds kind of a little strange, only 50 shots etc for a body that is well over a year old.

could easily be 50k shots as there is no way of verifying :D.

ed rader

p.s. i would buy a blue dot or newer.

Post #7, Jan 05, 2009 20:29:57

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

bbbdco
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2005
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi. I'm the guy who started the thread. The claim is actually less than 50 (five-zero) actuations. Only to set the diopter. Professional photographer bought to document indigenous flora and fauna on a foreign photo trip. Found out he had too much gear (weight-wise), and decided to take his high-end XLH1 and two trusty high resolution Mark 1Ds Mark IIs.......and leave the 1D Mark III behind. He says the only thing he's ever touched on the camera is the diopter. He's never registered the camera. Has all original paper work with it. I'm still trying to find out when he bought it. So how much are the Blue-Dot Mark IIIs going for?Thanks for the input thus far.

Dan

Post #8, Jan 05, 2009 22:08:56 as a reply to ed rader's post 1 hour earlier.

kombisaurus
Joined Oct 2006
176 posts
Hobart, Tasmania
[MORE/SHARE]

I always take claims like "only used once" or "only 50 shutter activations" with a grain of salt. I'm sure that for every truthful claim like this there are half a dozen others that are gross exaggerations.

I'm not saying the seller isn't telling the truth in this particular case, but how can you verify it? The filenumber can be simply reset from the camera's menu.
If you want to investigate a bit further, find out if the seller has an online gallery or is active on internet forums. If so then I'm sure you can track down some photos and comments from and about the camera to get some idea of how old it is and how much use it's had.

Having said that, I love my 1D3 (serial number 54xxxx). I bought it before Canon announced the sub-mirror fix, but it turned out to be one of the serial numbers listed in their "no fix needed" list. I couldn't be happier with the AF.

Post #9, Jan 05, 2009 23:08:25

Adrian Broughton
Commercial, Event and Wedding Photographer in Hobart, Tasmania.
BroughtonPhoto.com.auexternal link
BroughtonWeddings.com.​auexternal link
Visit My Blog at Blog.BroughtonPhoto.co​m.auexternal link

jr_senator
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
4,861 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

After getting "the fix" Canon will start their 1 year warranty again at that time.

Post #10, Jan 05, 2009 23:30:28

jr_senator
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
4,861 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ed rader wrote in post #7012438external link
could easily be 50k shots as there is no way of verifying :D.

ed rader

p.s. i would buy a blue dot or newer.

Could not one take a couple more shots and a reread to find out?

Post #11, Jan 05, 2009 23:33:21

sponsored links
bbbdco
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2005
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Seller purchased the Camera in January 2008. Will look up the actual receipt tomorrow at his office. Seems to be very reputable from all my conversations.

Dan

Post #12, Jan 06, 2009 00:45:04 as a reply to jr_senator's post 1 hour earlier.

PM01
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,188 posts
USA!
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon service can always read the amount of shots on the body itself, provided that the CPU of the camera has never been changed out.

Their repair software also has readouts for shutter counts, serial number embedding, etc. Fun stuff. This is read through the USB port. Some of the other cameras can be read through the hot shoe of the camera.

Post #13, Jan 06, 2009 00:45:35 as a reply to jr_senator's post 1 hour earlier.

kombisaurus
Joined Oct 2006
176 posts
Hobart, Tasmania
[MORE/SHARE]

I have no idea who the seller is and mean nothing personal against him... He might well be completely honest so please don't treat my comments as accusations.
But when it comes to buying and selling from strangers my rule is to take anything that a seller says with a grain of salt unless it can be verified.

So all you know for sure is that this is a 1D Mk3 that by all accounts looks in excellent condition (assuming you've handled the body yourself and can verify this), with a serial number of 53xxxx. Although you don't need to tell us the exact serial number, I hope that you know it yourself.
The first thing you should do is look at the following document which is Canon's list of serial numbers which do not need a sub-mirror fix. My own body is on the list, and I can say that I've been more than happy with my AF so if your serial number is on the list then that might give you a bit of confidence (but again, there is no guarantee).
http://downloads.canon​.com ...era/serialnumbers_a​dv.pdfexternal link

Secondly, are you sure the seller bought the camera brand new? Jan 2008 seems quite late for a new 53xxxx serial number body (I received my body in October 2007 and it has a serial number of 5448xx). Back then demand was higher than supply, so it's not like these cameras would have been gathering dust in stores waiting to be sold. Maybe he's only put 50 clicks on the body, but if he bought it second hand then who knows how many it's done.

Thirdly, here are the links to a couple of Canon announcements regarding the submirror fix. They might provide you with a bit more info (take note of the dates too in relation to when the seller claims to have bought the camera).

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...390&keycode=2112&id​=40411external link

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...999&keycode=2112&id​=39707external link

And fourthly, as has already been suggested, call Canon and check it out with them. Just because the seller can show you a receipt for a 1D MkIII from Jan 2008 doesn't necessarily mean he bought that 1D MkIII unless the receipt also has the serial number on it. If you're lucky then you might be able to take the body into a Canon service centre where they can confirm the shutter count and tell you more about it's history and whether it's had the submirror fix, etc.

I realise that I'm not in a position to know anything about the camera or the seller apart from the small amount you've told us... but something just doesn't sit right with me at the moment. I'm not saying the seller is scamming you, I'm simply advising you to be cautious.

Post #14, Jan 06, 2009 10:58:38

Adrian Broughton
Commercial, Event and Wedding Photographer in Hobart, Tasmania.
BroughtonPhoto.com.auexternal link
BroughtonWeddings.com.​auexternal link
Visit My Blog at Blog.BroughtonPhoto.co​m.auexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,585 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

$3200 ain't such a smokin' deal.
If you are that concerned, perhaps be patient and find one in the For Sale section for a sub $3000 1DMKIII from a known user/member?

That said, I have a pre-any-dot MKIII from 2007 with the sub-mirror fix and latest firmware and I am very happy with it.

Post #15, Jan 06, 2009 11:17:58

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1D Mark III question.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES