Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #1
bbbdco

Question Canon 1D Mark III question.....

I'm kind of new, so I need some help. I have a 20D currently. I have the opportunity to purchase an "almost" new Mark iii for $3200. The Mark III has only 50 actuations!!! Virtually never used..original box with all accessories. It's never even been registered with Canon, so I would be able to register it under my name. The serial number (539744) indicates that it is from the batch that requires a Canon submirror fix. Are the cameras getting the "fix" just as good as the one's coming out of the factory? I'm just wanting some input as to whether this is an okay deal. It's several hundred dollars cheaper than a new out of the box camera. I've also looked at used Mark IIn cameras. They would be a few hundred dollars cheaper. I'm not an avid sports photographer, but enjoy nature/wildlife in addition to many other types of photography. Thanks for any help you can give me in making a decision on this.

Dan
bbbdco is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #2
tunin

Default Re: Canon 1D Mark III question.....

When was the camera originally purchased? Warranty question? I would go for it if the warranty is valid at least a 10 months from now... Also, where do you live, in case you have a problem, are you able to drive to NJ or the CA service center as I heard it takes forever for one to get it fixed if mailed in... if a problem occurred, of course.

*** Amateur tools ***
tunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #3
amyandmark3

Dan,
I just bought a used Blue Dot mkIII and it works perfectly. My serial number starts with 55xxxx just for reference. As for if a 'fixed' one works as well as ones that are more recent and don't need 'fixed,' you will get answers on both sides of the fence. All I can say is that I'm pleased with mine in all shooting applications including birds in flight and low light candids....focusing in those 2 situations is WAY BETTER with my mkIII than with my previous 5D and 40D. Good luck.

Mark

amyandmark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #4
Perry Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...

Read some of the MKIII stickies at the top of this forum - there's a lot of good information there. Getting the fix doesn't guarantee a perfect MKIII. But if you get a perfect MKIII, woooh it's hard to beat.
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #5
echo

It sounds kind of a little strange, only 50 shots etc for a body that is well over a year old.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #6
danielyamseng
Goldmember

Maybe the guys just bought it for collection .I guess if the sale is really genuine then you're pretty lucky guy.
danielyamseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #7
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
It sounds kind of a little strange, only 50 shots etc for a body that is well over a year old.
could easily be 50k shots as there is no way of verifying .

ed rader

p.s. i would buy a blue dot or newer.

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #8
bbbdco

Hi. I'm the guy who started the thread. The claim is actually less than 50 (five-zero) actuations. Only to set the diopter. Professional photographer bought to document indigenous flora and fauna on a foreign photo trip. Found out he had too much gear (weight-wise), and decided to take his high-end XLH1 and two trusty high resolution Mark 1Ds Mark IIs.......and leave the 1D Mark III behind. He says the only thing he's ever touched on the camera is the diopter. He's never registered the camera. Has all original paper work with it. I'm still trying to find out when he bought it. So how much are the Blue-Dot Mark IIIs going for?Thanks for the input thus far.

Dan

Last edited by bbbdco : 5th of January 2009 (Mon) at 22:17. Reason: correct some info
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #9
kombisaurus

I always take claims like "only used once" or "only 50 shutter activations" with a grain of salt. I'm sure that for every truthful claim like this there are half a dozen others that are gross exaggerations.

I'm not saying the seller isn't telling the truth in this particular case, but how can you verify it? The filenumber can be simply reset from the camera's menu.
If you want to investigate a bit further, find out if the seller has an online gallery or is active on internet forums. If so then I'm sure you can track down some photos and comments from and about the camera to get some idea of how old it is and how much use it's had.

Having said that, I love my 1D3 (serial number 54xxxx). I bought it before Canon announced the sub-mirror fix, but it turned out to be one of the serial numbers listed in their "no fix needed" list. I couldn't be happier with the AF.
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #10
jr_senator
Goldmember

After getting "the fix" Canon will start their 1 year warranty again at that time.

jr_senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2009 (Mon)   #11
jr_senator
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rader View Post
could easily be 50k shots as there is no way of verifying .

ed rader

p.s. i would buy a blue dot or newer.
Could not one take a couple more shots and a reread to find out?

jr_senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2009 (Tue)   #12
bbbdco

Seller purchased the Camera in January 2008. Will look up the actual receipt tomorrow at his office. Seems to be very reputable from all my conversations.

Dan
Old 6th of January 2009 (Tue)   #13
PM01

Canon service can always read the amount of shots on the body itself, provided that the CPU of the camera has never been changed out.

Their repair software also has readouts for shutter counts, serial number embedding, etc. Fun stuff. This is read through the USB port. Some of the other cameras can be read through the hot shoe of the camera.
PM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2009 (Tue)   #14
kombisaurus

I have no idea who the seller is and mean nothing personal against him... He might well be completely honest so please don't treat my comments as accusations.
But when it comes to buying and selling from strangers my rule is to take anything that a seller says with a grain of salt unless it can be verified.

So all you know for sure is that this is a 1D Mk3 that by all accounts looks in excellent condition (assuming you've handled the body yourself and can verify this), with a serial number of 53xxxx. Although you don't need to tell us the exact serial number, I hope that you know it yourself.
The first thing you should do is look at the following document which is Canon's list of serial numbers which do not need a sub-mirror fix. My own body is on the list, and I can say that I've been more than happy with my AF so if your serial number is on the list then that might give you a bit of confidence (but again, there is no guarantee).
http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...umbers_adv.pdf

Secondly, are you sure the seller bought the camera brand new? Jan 2008 seems quite late for a new 53xxxx serial number body (I received my body in October 2007 and it has a serial number of 5448xx). Back then demand was higher than supply, so it's not like these cameras would have been gathering dust in stores waiting to be sold. Maybe he's only put 50 clicks on the body, but if he bought it second hand then who knows how many it's done.

Thirdly, here are the links to a couple of Canon announcements regarding the submirror fix. They might provide you with a bit more info (take note of the dates too in relation to when the seller claims to have bought the camera).

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=2112&id=40411

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=2112&id=39707

And fourthly, as has already been suggested, call Canon and check it out with them. Just because the seller can show you a receipt for a 1D MkIII from Jan 2008 doesn't necessarily mean he bought that 1D MkIII unless the receipt also has the serial number on it. If you're lucky then you might be able to take the body into a Canon service centre where they can confirm the shutter count and tell you more about it's history and whether it's had the submirror fix, etc.

I realise that I'm not in a position to know anything about the camera or the seller apart from the small amount you've told us... but something just doesn't sit right with me at the moment. I'm not saying the seller is scamming you, I'm simply advising you to be cautious.
Old 6th of January 2009 (Tue)   #15
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart

$3200 ain't such a smokin' deal.
If you are that concerned, perhaps be patient and find one in the For Sale section for a sub $3000 1DMKIII from a known user/member?

That said, I have a pre-any-dot MKIII from 2007 with the sub-mirror fix and latest firmware and I am very happy with it.
nicksan is offline   Reply With Quote