Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of January 2009 (Fri)   #46
Mathias927

Default Re: Kata 3n1-30 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaking View Post
ok, for that price, you're not buying it from amazon, but a 3rd party....
Well, it is still through amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan j View Post
My humble apologies. Enjoy the pocket.

dan
Haha.
Found the secret pocket by the way.
Mathias927 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #47
mullhawk

As far as the tripod holder goes, it holds my tripod too high, for everyday use, but if I am going hiking through the woods it will be great. I was hoping it would be something that could just live on my bag, but that would just get annoying. When I buy a better tripod I will probably try to find one that gets smaller to live there...
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #48
tigerotor77w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullhawk View Post
As far as the tripod holder goes, it holds my tripod too high
I found this, too, but I don't keep the top velcro strap looped where it should be. I bend it further up so that I have a few more inches of tripod room.
tigerotor77w is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #49
dan j

I carried my 3n1 30 with the tripod through Savannah, Ga today and I'm pretty happy. I'm loaded up so it's a lot of weight, and it does stand out a bit, but no more so than the other setups I saw today. I do have mine lowered so the 488 is below the top of my head. It's ok there, but I'll probably lower it more since it pokes out when I bend over (almost clipped someone). The other thing to do is keep the strap(s) tight which makes it more comfortable. Overall, I'm happy with it.

dan
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #50
glbtrekker

This bag sounds like what I may be looking for. I need a smaller, lightweight, quick-access bag to carry my 50D with either 17-55 or 70-200f4 mounted plus speedlite and a few other accessories.

I was just wandering, does anyone have a photo of someone actually wearing the bag? I would love to get a sense of its actual size. Thanks!
glbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2009 (Sun)   #51
mocha384

Thanks for the suggestions.

but to check it out personally before ordering online, I have been to the dealer's shop on the last weekend for 3IN1-30,20 and 10. 20 and 10 versions are really small compare to what I am expected to stuff in. 30 version didn't like at all even though it provides quickly accessible camera. The reasons are: it is not soft bag, notebook space is not available and the straps are weird too. I felt KATA 467 was better option.
mocha384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #52
BarryKC

I recently purchased the Kata 3 in 1-20 and I am really impressed with the quality of construction and design - except for the zippers (which are a bit strange) as has been mentioned for the 30. As for space, by carefully designing the dividers I can fit my Canon 40D attached to my 70-200L f/4 IS on one side and my 17-40L on the other (and the top is still empty for batteries, etc.) I can not help but ask if anyone has customized their Kata bag by cutting one side of the belts holding the snaps to allow the zippers to fully close? Just wanted to find out if it works...
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #53
dan j

I can't imagine why I'd want to cut the strap. I love having a second quick-access pocket.

dan
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #54
BarryKC

Dan - just curious because of the opening between zippers that could let dust in. I'm admittedly nutty about equipment care. Otherwise - a great bag and I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #55
dan j

I'm not worried about the dust entering the bag, but I do keep the caps on the lenses. Dust entering the bag? I'm not worried about it.

dan
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #56
SillyGuy

i took this bag to hawaii w/me, and i hated those openings...sand magically got into my bag even though i never placed it on the beach.
SillyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #57
mullhawk

I believe they designed it to not close all the way there, so that when you unbuckle it you can just grab the buckle and pull to open the QA panels. I think if they zippered all the way shut it would put too much stress on them when you pull it to open it. Seems to me if you tuck the zippers under the strap, it provide a pretty decent seal, but then again I haven't gotten any sand in my bag yet, it hasn't even left this room since it got here a week ago...
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #58
dan j

I think SillyGuy is kidding.

I live near the beach and we go on weekends. I usually take my 3n1. I've never had a grain of sand in it. Granted, I'm careful when I put the bag down, but I would be no matter which bag I carried.

dan
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #59
glbtrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryKC View Post
I recently purchased the Kata 3 in 1-20 and I am really impressed with the quality of construction and design - except for the zippers (which are a bit strange) as has been mentioned for the 30. As for space, by carefully designing the dividers I can fit my Canon 40D attached to my 70-200L f/4 IS on one side and my 17-40L on the other (and the top is still empty for batteries, etc.) I can not help but ask if anyone has customized their Kata bag by cutting one side of the belts holding the snaps to allow the zippers to fully close? Just wanted to find out if it works...
Will the bag fit the 40D body, 70-200 f4, 17-55 size lens, 580 speedlite, and maybe a couple of odds and ends? I wasn't sure if you were including an extra body with the 17-40 or not.
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #60
glbtrekker

Sorry...double post

Last edited by glbtrekker : 20th of January 2009 (Tue) at 21:51.