Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of January 2009 (Thu)   #1
Cameraman1957

Default Wedding Video Questions

I need some opinions of event videograpers. I have been doing wedding videos for close to 20 years. My son is going to get married in Alabama, this summer. I live in Ohio. As the father of the groom, I obviously don't want to be shooting the video, and I'm not sure I even want to take any of my camera operators or equipment down to shoot the wedding. What I would like to do is hire a wedding videographer that is local in Alabama, to shoot the wedding and give me the tapes. I could then do all the edit and production work. Does anyone see a problem with this? Am I going to have problems finding someone willing to do this? Just curious what you all think of my idea.

Also one videographer who my son has found, that they like, shoots at 24p. All of my cameras shoot at 30 fps, so I have never worked with 24 fps. What am I up against? Can I capture this video using either my Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2? Is the edit process the same? I am using Vegas 5 to edit. Can someone please give me some direction?

Thanks for your time.
Cameraman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of January 2009 (Thu)   #2
PipesInTune

Default Re: Wedding Video Questions

I think if you were as honest as you are in this post, someone would be willing to do it for you. It would be less work for them. If I were on the other end, I'd be willing to do it for another legitimate photographer as a courtesy. I don't think I'd do it for an amateur who just wanted to save a few bucks and edit it themselves, however. It could open up a can 'o worms.
PipesInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of January 2009 (Thu)   #3
osv

you don't want to mix up the framerates, tell the guy to shoot in 60i, or forget it.

you shouldn't have any problem finding a good shooter, the question is where to go looking... a local videographers association would work, or email the people at weva.com, to see if they have some ideas?

poke around dvinfo.net also, maybe put up a post asking for a local shooter?
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #4
Vintage

Having been in business for such a long time, I believe you would indeed have quite a few contacts of other videographers in your area. How about contacting them!?
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2009 (Mon)   #5
Matthew Craggs

I doubt you would have any problem finding someone to shoot the wedding. As for your frame rate problem, it depends. Some can, some can't, but I don't see why any reasonable videographer would refuse to shoot 60i so you know that you're safe.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of January 2009 (Tue)   #6
MaxxuM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman1957 View Post
Also one videographer who my son has found, that they like, shoots at 24p. All of my cameras shoot at 30 fps, so I have never worked with 24 fps. What am I up against? Can I capture this video using either my Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2? Is the edit process the same? I am using Vegas 5 to edit. Can someone please give me some direction?

Thanks for your time.
I would not shoot at 24fps. It requires control/understanding of lighting and motion and it can be challenging. Some professionals will use 24fps for outdoor shots then switch to 30, 50 or 60 indoors then use some editing filters to make the shot more movie-ish.

I've never used the Sony, but I have a few GL2's at work and I've noticed they do over saturate some at default settings. It's a fine camera for indoor work too.
Old 27th of January 2009 (Tue)   #7
Photorocket455

My experience with Vegas (4-6) is that it will do an excellent job of converting any frame rate to any frame rate, 24p to 60i, 60i to 24p. In fact I shoot 60i 99% of the time even though my Canon GL2 and XL2 cameras capture 24p and 30p and set Vegas to whatever I want.

Good luck in Alabama.

John
Photorocket455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2009 (Fri)   #8
adam8080
Goldmember

Where at in Alabama? I'm in Huntsville.

Business Card Help!
adam8080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2009 (Fri)   #9
dann22

Do some research first but many cameras that shoot 24p add 3:2 pulldown which is basically at 30fps when exported. You could then edit on a 30 timeline, or use a software capable of removing 3:2 pulldown (such as After Effects) if you want to keep it at 24p. 24p can get fustrating until you can get a workflow going with what you have to work with but it does have a nice look to it.
dann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of February 2009 (Wed)   #10
Photorocket455

Vegas can handle 3-2 pulldown and 3-2-2-3 pulldown with no problem.
Photorocket455 is offline   Reply With Quote