Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #1
carempo

Default How to avoid shadows in low light in indoor pictures?

Hi

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question, I'm new here.

I just got a canon camcorder HG20 and I'm trying to take still pictures with it. I have a problem that almost all indoor pictures that I take using the built in flash contains a very noticeable shadow. I tried several settings in the camera to avoid the shadow but it didn't work. I tried to change the shutter speed, exposure, and other settings, and still getting the same shadow.

I know that this may be normal in the condition I'n taking my pictures, but I have another digital camera from Kodak (Z710) which doesn't suffer from this problem. In the same conditions there is no shadow at all.

I'm not expert in photography world and I know little about the effect of different settings, so I want to know what I'm missing here.

I added two samples from each camera for the same view.

Regards

Canon Sample 1:

Canon Sample 2:

Kodak Sample 1:

Kodak Sample 2:
carempo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #2
Roach711

Default Re: How to avoid shadows in low light in indoor pictures?

Actually, all 4 shots shows the harsh shadows. They're just hidden better in the last two. The problem isn't with the exposure settings, it's the direction the light is coming from.

These harsh shadows are caused by "straight ahead" flash. The flash is pointed straight at the subject and causes those dense shadows behind the subject. The flash in the first two shots looks like it is mounted to the right side of the camera so the shadows fall to the left. In the second two the flash appears to be in the center of the camera and the shadows fall behind the subject.

To get rid of those shadows you need to bounce your flash off the ceiling which softens or eliminates shadows behind the subject. I'm not familliar with your cameras but normally, the built in flash can't be adjusted to do bounce flash. Usually, you need an add-on flash unit to enable bounce flash.

Get your wallet out.

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.
Roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2009 (Sat)   #3
carempo

Default Re: How to avoid shadows in low light in indoor pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach711 View Post
Actually, all 4 shots shows the harsh shadows. They're just hidden better in the last two. The problem isn't with the exposure settings, it's the direction the light is coming from.

These harsh shadows are caused by "straight ahead" flash. The flash is pointed straight at the subject and causes those dense shadows behind the subject. The flash in the first two shots looks like it is mounted to the right side of the camera so the shadows fall to the left. In the second two the flash appears to be in the center of the camera and the shadows fall behind the subject.

To get rid of those shadows you need to bounce your flash off the ceiling which softens or eliminates shadows behind the subject. I'm not familliar with your cameras but normally, the built in flash can't be adjusted to do bounce flash. Usually, you need an add-on flash unit to enable bounce flash.

Get your wallet out.

You are right about the flash position in both cases. And you are right I can't do any adjustment to the flash. So I have to check the other solution then.

That was very helpful, thank you for your reply.
carempo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member