How to avoid shadows in low light in indoor pictures?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Jan 2009 (Saturday) 21:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

carempo
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2009
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question, I'm new here.

I just got a canon camcorder HG20 and I'm trying to take still pictures with it. I have a problem that almost all indoor pictures that I take using the built in flash contains a very noticeable shadow. I tried several settings in the camera to avoid the shadow but it didn't work. I tried to change the shutter speed, exposure, and other settings, and still getting the same shadow.

I know that this may be normal in the condition I'n taking my pictures, but I have another digital camera from Kodak (Z710) which doesn't suffer from this problem. In the same conditions there is no shadow at all.

I'm not expert in photography world and I know little about the effect of different settings, so I want to know what I'm missing here.

I added two samples from each camera for the same view.

Regards

Canon Sample 1:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.uoguelph.ca ...images/canon/IMG_03​01.JPGexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon Sample 2:
http://www.uoguelph.ca ...images/canon/IMG_03​02.JPGexternal link

Kodak Sample 1:
http://www.uoguelph.ca ...images/canon/104_48​30.JPGexternal link

Kodak Sample 2:
http://www.uoguelph.ca ...images/canon/104_48​31.JPGexternal link

Post #1, Jan 17, 2009 21:30:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Roach711
Joined May 2004
717 posts
Farmington Hills, MI USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Actually, all 4 shots shows the harsh shadows. They're just hidden better in the last two. The problem isn't with the exposure settings, it's the direction the light is coming from.

These harsh shadows are caused by "straight ahead" flash. The flash is pointed straight at the subject and causes those dense shadows behind the subject. The flash in the first two shots looks like it is mounted to the right side of the camera so the shadows fall to the left. In the second two the flash appears to be in the center of the camera and the shadows fall behind the subject.

To get rid of those shadows you need to bounce your flash off the ceiling which softens or eliminates shadows behind the subject. I'm not familliar with your cameras but normally, the built in flash can't be adjusted to do bounce flash. Usually, you need an add-on flash unit to enable bounce flash.

Get your wallet out.

Post #2, Jan 17, 2009 22:19:03

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

carempo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2009
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Roach711 wrote in post #7100187external link
Actually, all 4 shots shows the harsh shadows. They're just hidden better in the last two. The problem isn't with the exposure settings, it's the direction the light is coming from.

These harsh shadows are caused by "straight ahead" flash. The flash is pointed straight at the subject and causes those dense shadows behind the subject. The flash in the first two shots looks like it is mounted to the right side of the camera so the shadows fall to the left. In the second two the flash appears to be in the center of the camera and the shadows fall behind the subject.

To get rid of those shadows you need to bounce your flash off the ceiling which softens or eliminates shadows behind the subject. I'm not familliar with your cameras but normally, the built in flash can't be adjusted to do bounce flash. Usually, you need an add-on flash unit to enable bounce flash.

Get your wallet out.

You are right about the flash position in both cases. And you are right I can't do any adjustment to the flash. So I have to check the other solution then.

That was very helpful, thank you for your reply.

Post #3, Jan 17, 2009 23:43:15

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to avoid shadows in low light in indoor pictures?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES