Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 18 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 01:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Camera Raw Open 32 Bit PS CS4

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 18, 2009 01:23 |  #1

I just installed the new CS4 Master Suite 64 bit edition, and it installs both 32 bit and 64 bit Photoshops. I want to use 64 bit Photoshop exclusively, but unfortunately there are still some plugins that won't work with it.

So, here is my problem. I usually use Bridge in my workflow to edit my RAW files. When I go to Bridge's Camera Raw, and OPEN the file, it ALWAYS opens 64 bit edition of PS.

Is there a way to change this?

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

partsman
210 posts
Joined Jan 2006
St. Louis, MO USA
Jan 18, 2009 10:24 |  #2

Try going to Edit>Preferences and choosing file type associations. Scroll down to Canon Camera Raw and then click on the program its associated with (CS4). You should then have the option to browse to select a new program to open cr2 files, now just browse to where ever CS4 32 bit is installed on your system and choose that to open the file.

Mark
50D l 350D l 70-200L f/2.8 IS l EFS 17-85 f4.0-5.6 l 50 f/1.4 l 430EX

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 18, 2009 17:01 |  #3

Partsman,

Thanks so much for the reply. This method does fix the problem if I double-click an image in Bridge to open the PS Camera Raw.

However, the way I work, I like to use the Bridge Camera Raw (yes, there are two: PS Camera Raw and Bridge Camera Raw). This way, if Photoshop is busy working on something, I can still edit my raw file in the Bridge Camera Raw. There appears no way to make Bridge Camera Raw use 32 bit PS....

Oh wait a minute, If I already have 32 bit PS open, and then use Bridge Camera Raw, when I select OPEN from there, it should use the 32 bit PS because it's already open (I dont THINK it will open another instance of PS will it?) I will have to try this when I get CS4 installed again.

Thanks Partsman!

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,427 posts
Joined Jul 2005
South_the 601
Jan 18, 2009 19:49 |  #4

Unfortunately most software vendors are being very slow to release Photoshop x64 updates. I've resorted to installing most of my plug-ins in the CS4 32 bit folder for use when need be it and wait for any updates.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon PowerShot S95
MY PBASE GALLERYexternal link

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Jan 20, 2009 00:52 |  #5

Thanks Tsmith.
Yup, software vendors have been very, very slow to adopt 64 bit, even though 4GB machines have been quite common for over a year now. I hear rumors that WIndows 7 will be 64 bit only upon release, and I really hope so because that will be the only way to get those vendors to move their butts.

However, I heard the same about Vista before it's release (being 64 bit only). Someday.

I see that Neat Image and Imagenomic Portraiture are both now available for 64 bit PS. Those are my most use plugins, so thanks to them for that.

PS. Yes, I am using WIndows 7 x64 and despite a few bugs, it runs really nice... it seems to manage memory and other things better than Vista or XP.

4,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Raw Open 32 Bit PS CS4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.