Thread started 18 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 13:33   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

alvezz
Joined Jan 2009
105 posts
Essex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

hi,

i am really new to photography and literally have had my 40d (first DSLR) for a few days after a few months looking for an SLR to start me off in the right direction. i have a course in photography booked in april but cant wait until then to start learning. i have really been inspired by some of the photos posted and has given me some good ideas, but really wanted to have a go at bodyscape as it appears to require the least amount of equipment and i have no accessories as i blew my entire budget on the Camera.

Please could anyone help me in how to set up lighting to shoot bodyscape?

i have Canon 40d, 18-55mm kit lens, tripod and a model..........just need a basic set up to start me off so i can trial an error with the shots from there.

any help would be gratfully appreciated !

Alvezz

Post #1, Jan 18, 2009 13:33:06

---------------
Shoot first, ask questions later!
myFlickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Dudley ­ Watson
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2005
6 posts
SW Oregon (Roseburg)
[MORE/SHARE]

Alvezz, you answered you own question. "Trial an error" is one way to learn. If you've never worked with the model before, I suggest a few clothed shots first to get to know each other. PM me at dbphoto@computerconnec​t.net if you have more questions.

Post #2, Feb 01, 2009 19:42:37

Canon Digital Rebel (yup, the origional digital Rebel!)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
St. Augustine, FL by way of NY.
[MORE/SHARE]

Use window light, since you have nothing but the onboard flash. If she's not around during a day where you are, use a teddy bear by the window, just to check what works best, in terms of exposure, shutter speed, etc. Then, you can use white foamboard to fill in shadows, by reflecting the light from the window, as well.

Enjoy.

Post #3, Feb 02, 2009 13:38:54

MCSquaredexternal link on Flickr
MCSquared on Facebookexternal link
MCSquared Photography
My name: Manish.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,014 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #7238646external link
Use window light, since you have nothing but the onboard flash. If she's not around during a day where you are, use a teddy bear by the window, just to check what works best, in terms of exposure, shutter speed, etc. Then, you can use white foamboard to fill in shadows, by reflecting the light from the window, as well.

Enjoy.

exactly what I'd have suggested. good for bodyscape, or a nice simple portrait too. try to use a northern-facing window if you have one, or you'll have to pull her out of the direct light for more diffused light.

Post #4, Feb 03, 2009 09:44:57

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

alvezz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
105 posts
Essex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks guys, nice to get a couple of basic pointers to start my trial and error sessons off.

cant wait to start...........

Post #5, Feb 04, 2009 08:07:41

---------------
myFlickrexternal link

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Good luck with it...just have fun, and don't get caught up in all the hype. I'm sure you'll be a bit nervous, at first, but, try to make it so it doen't appear that way. That's all. ;)

Post #6, Feb 04, 2009 08:24:28

MCSquared Photography

alvezz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
105 posts
Essex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

are there any lights i could use around the house to get a similar effect such as a torch, bedside lamp etc? or is a soft box (i think that what is used on bodyscape) the only way to go.

Post #7, Feb 11, 2009 16:02:30

---------------
myFlickrexternal link

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

try a table lamp, through a white sheet. See how that goes. Just a thought.

Post #8, Feb 11, 2009 16:35:37

MCSquared Photography

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,014 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #7305687external link
try a table lamp, through a white sheet. See how that goes. Just a thought.

Even the table lamp is going to be dim. The sheet is going to block almost all the light, I bet.

Post #9, Feb 11, 2009 18:48:23

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

How about a table lamp through a sheer cloth? Or two table lamps, bounced off a white piece of foam board? We gotta help the person somehow...hahaha.

Post #10, Feb 11, 2009 18:54:52

MCSquared Photography

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,014 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

The sheerer the cloth the better, unless he's turned a 500w work light into a table lamp :)

No flash units, if I read the original post correctly. Those might help also, if you could get them off camera somehow.

Post #11, Feb 12, 2009 23:27:44

sponsored links
ss109
Joined Oct 2008
129 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

+1

North light is definatly the softest.

Post #12, Feb 14, 2009 11:14:43 as a reply to hawk911's post 11 days earlier.

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,650 posts
Raleigh, NC, USA!
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll give you the super cheap with the best results idea.......

Camera on tripod set to f/8 15-20s with mirror lockup and cable release
Flashlight with plastic or black gauze fabric diffuser.

Lights on - focus on model and turn AF off.
Lights off falshlight on with hand at end to control and focus light - click to lockup mirror
click to start exposure and have model stop breathing

paint in the light
try to go over over an area only once to prevent blur from model movement but you can also soften areas by doing this

Try switching sides to get shadows in two directions without tripping over the tripod or just paint in a bodyscape outline.

Post #13, Feb 17, 2009 16:09:49

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

alvezz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
105 posts
Essex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Great idea, I will try that on my second atempt. The first one gave me some good things of what not to do using a lamp and playing with exposure timings, all came out noisy and to light. I am trying to get the effect of the bodyscapes which look like they are almost in complete darkness with the light showing off the curves of the body. Think this is where the painting with light will be a good idea.

Thanks for all the comments

Post #14, Feb 21, 2009 17:02:42

---------------
myFlickrexternal link

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,650 posts
Raleigh, NC, USA!
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm going to post another type of lighting for bodyscapes I just did, the moment my wife let's me away from the kids. I'm on the laptop right now and it's on the studio computer. I shot into a large softbox with grids. The softbox in the background looked cool. The body had a little side fill llight from another softbox. If I wanted a true bodyscape I just needed to turn off the one in the background. I love my softbox grids. They really help with spill.l

Post #15, Feb 21, 2009 17:32:51 as a reply to alvezz's post 30 minutes earlier.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bodyscape lighting for a newbie???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES