Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 21 Mar 2005 (Monday) 12:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beatty Airport?

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Temporarily Retired
Mar 21, 2005 12:19 |  #1

One last thread from my trip last week... At the north end of Beatty there's a road branching off Highway 95, heading west. Next to the road is a wreck of an old airplane. I just assumed the road led to a small airport, probably because of the plane. On Thursday I stopped to take a couple pictures of the airplane:

IMAGE: http://www.ldphotography.net/cdpf/beattyairport01.jpg
Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L @ 17mm, 1/250s, f/11, ISO 100

IMAGE: http://www.ldphotography.net/cdpf/beattyairport02.jpg
Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L @ 17mm, 1/200s, f/10, ISO 100

Only then did I realize what the sign in front of the plane said:
IMAGE: http://www.ldphotography.net/cdpf/beattyairport03.jpg
Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L @ 27mm, 1/250s, f/10, ISO 100, Canon Speedlite 580EX and Lumiquest Softbox

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ya gotta love Nevada! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.netexternal link | Weekly Pioneerexternal link | Facebookexternal link
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

sponsored links
4nR
689 posts
Joined Feb 2005
A2, MI
Mar 21, 2005 13:20 |  #2

LOL, the last pic is great.

A560 will have to do... for now :confused:

ayotnoms
Perfect Anti-Cloning Argument
2,988 posts
Joined Jan 2005
San Francisco Bay Area
Mar 21, 2005 18:24 |  #3

See what happens when you don't put tray tables up and return your seatback to the upright position?

8-)

Very very interesting shots. Would love to hear the story of how they ended up there.

Steve
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=1267612&postcou​nt=17"]Gear

Ballen ­ Photo
19,480 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Mar 21, 2005 21:56 |  #4

thomascanty wrote:
One last thread from my trip last week... At the north end of Beatty there's a road branching off Highway 95, heading west. Next to the road is a wreck of an old airplane. I just assumed the road led to a small airport, probably because of the plane. On Thursday I stopped to take a couple pictures of the airplane.

Only then did I realize what the sign in front of the plane said:
QUOTED IMAGE
Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L @ 27mm, 1/250s, f/10, ISO 100, Canon Speedlite 580EX and Lumiquest Softbox

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ya gotta love Nevada! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They must have changed the name of the Brothel. The last time I went by there, it was "Frans Star Ranch" I believe. They DID offer free coffee back then as well. ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Ballen ­ Photo
19,480 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Mar 21, 2005 22:16 as a reply to ayotnoms's post |  #5

ayotnoms wrote:
Would love to hear the story of how they ended up there.

That Plane has been sitting there for over 20 years, at least I know I saw it there that long ago when it was Frans Star Ranch, which was also a Brothel. I asked about the plane when I stopped in for coffee, ;) and asked the nice folks inside what the deal with the wrecked airplane outside was.
The "Madam" in charge told me that the pilot and his buddy were both pretty drunk when they decided to drop in at Fran's (for the coffee ;) ), and crash landed the plane. So the story goes, the two managed to go inside and partake
(remember the coffee ;) ) anyway, and afterwards had to call someone from Vegas to come out and get them.
The plane has been a fixture ever since. :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

johnleveritt
173 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Henderson, NV USA
Mar 21, 2005 22:24 as a reply to Ballen Photo's post |  #6

Ballen Photo wrote:
They must have changed the name of the Brothel. The last time I went by there, it was "Frans Star Ranch" I believe. They DID offer free coffee back then as well. ;)
-Bruce

Free everything, coffee, pop, beer, liquor, but not the girls. She never bothered to get a vending license, so she couldn't sell it (the coffee, pop, beer, liquor).

Your right it was Frans Star Ranch. And the airplane has been there for at least 29 or 30 years. I had that route for my last employer for 26 years, and I've been retired for 3 years, and that plane was there before me.

If you want a little history, it had just let off some sky divers, and was landing, when it got engine trouble, and you can see the result. The owners of the plane said that they would move it, as insurance paid for it, but Fran said no, leave it there, it will be good for business, and it was, and is.

Fran was and is quite an icon in those parts. Once her cat house (I don't know how else to say it) burned to the ground, and she had helped the town (Beatty) so much with money and donations, that the town folks all got together and rebuilt it all for her, free of charge. She used to have BBQ's all of the time, and everyone was invited, no charge for anything, well almost anything. I lost track of her when she sold out, and I've been retired for 3 years, so I don't know what became of her, but wherever she is, she's loved. :) :)

See Ya,
John

Ballen ­ Photo
19,480 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Mar 21, 2005 22:35 as a reply to johnleveritt's post |  #7

johnleveritt wrote:
Free everything, coffee, pop, beer, liquor, but not the girls. She never bothered to get a vending license, so she couldn't sell it (the coffee, pop, beer, liquor).

Your right it was Frans Star Ranch. And the airplane has been there for at least 29 or 30 years. I had that route for my last employer for 26 years, and I've been retired for 3 years, and that plane was there before me.

If you want a little history, it had just let off some sky divers, and was landing, when it got engine trouble, and you can see the result. The owners of the plane said that they would move it, as insurance paid for it, but Fran said no, leave it there, it will be good for business, and it was, and is.

Ahh, So the story I was told was the "Publicity" version. :lol: It sounded good, anyway.
Thanks for the real deal on the plane. (and here I was 20 years later, still believing that story.) :lol:
-Bruce

johnleveritt
173 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Henderson, NV USA
Mar 21, 2005 23:02 as a reply to Ballen Photo's post |  #8

Ballen Photo wrote:
Ahh, So the story I was told was the "Publicity" version. :lol: It sounded good, anyway.
Thanks for the real deal on the plane. (and here I was 20 years later, still believing that story.) :lol:
-Bruce

Well, the free coffee part was right.

If you were there 20 years ago, you probably talked to Fran herself (she lived in a room in the back). She pretty much ran things herself. The flowered up version that she gave you was much more believable than the truth. Besides, as I said the plane was a magnet for tourists to go in and ask about it. And telling people that the pilots were drunk, "and" used the services of the house, was just good salesmanship on her part. I wonder how many men plunked down their money after her story was told.

I don't know about now, with the new owners and all, but when Fran was there the towns people may have even stretched the truth a bit, about the plane, just to get business for her. Like I said, she was loved my the community.

Some tourist even stole the license plates (Nevada vanity plates FRAN1) from her car once. I would hate to have been them, if the towns people had gotten a hold of them before the law. I don't know what happened in that case, it was pretty much hushed up.

See Ya,
John

Ballen ­ Photo
19,480 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Mar 21, 2005 23:18 as a reply to johnleveritt's post |  #9

johnleveritt wrote:
Well, the free coffee part was right.

If you were there 20 years ago, you probably talked to Fran herself (she lived in a room in the back). She pretty much ran things herself. The flowered up version that she gave you was much more believable than the truth. Besides, as I said the plane was a magnet for tourists to go in and ask about it. And telling people that the pilots were drunk, "and" used the services of the house, was just good salesmanship on her part. I wonder how many men plunked down their money after her story was told.

I don't know about now, with the new owners and all, but when Fran was there the towns people may have even stretched the truth a bit, about the plane, just to get business for her. Like I said, she was loved my the community.

I think this story just got a WHOLE lot more interesting John. Thanks. :D
That probably was Fran that I talked to inside. She was very friendly, and was insistant that I come back, and bring friends. ;)
-Bruce

johnleveritt
173 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Henderson, NV USA
Mar 22, 2005 00:13 as a reply to Ballen Photo's post |  #10

Ballen Photo wrote:
I think this story just got a WHOLE lot more interesting John. Thanks. :D
That probably was Fran that I talked to inside. She was very friendly, and was insistant that I come back, and bring friends. ;)
-Bruce

Yes, Fran was friendly to everyone (business). Some would say that it was just business, but it wasn't, she's truly a likable person, she was/is a peach.

B-T-W, all of those decals seen on the plane pictures above, weren't there when the plane went down, they were put there by tourist, and passersby, whether they went in or not. A lot are from Germany, and Japan, as well as the USA. Beatty is where all of the major car manufacturers take their new models in the summer time for heat testing in Death Valley. I know that the ads on TV say that some of them are tested in Arizona, but trust me, it's in Death Valley (below sea level and "HOT"), and the testers stay in Beatty during their off time.

The Germans built an entire auto shop class for the local high school a few years back, with the proviso that they could use it exclusively when in town for testing. So everybody wins, the high school all year around, and the German car manufacturers, when their there testing.

I just noticed that your in Las Vegas, we're pretty close to each other.

See Ya,
John

thomascanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Temporarily Retired
Mar 22, 2005 03:00 as a reply to johnleveritt's post |  #11

Thanks for the history! It's always great to know the story behind things like this.

LDPhotography.netexternal link | Weekly Pioneerexternal link | Facebookexternal link

johnleveritt
173 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Henderson, NV USA
Mar 22, 2005 10:28 as a reply to thomascanty's post |  #12

thomascanty wrote:
Thanks for the history! It's always great to know the story behind things like this.

My pleasure, your pictures brought back a lot of really good memories.

See Ya,
John

Michaelmjc
not cool enough
4,832 posts
Joined May 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Mar 22, 2005 14:42 |  #13

Claer for take off on runway 4! that plane looks like its not goin anywhere.

Yyz Designexternal link

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Connecticut, USA
Mar 23, 2005 07:48 as a reply to Michaelmjc's post |  #14

Great shots. Jeeeez now you're taking "Ghost Airplanes" nice job

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

thomascanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Temporarily Retired
Mar 23, 2005 23:56 as a reply to stoneylonesome's post |  #15

stoneylonesome wrote:
Great shots. Jeeeez now you're taking "Ghost Airplanes" nice job

lol... Yep, if it's old and abandoned, I'll probably aim a camera at it eventually. :lol:

sponsored links

8,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beatty Airport?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.