how many times have you stopped shooting before the 3rd song was over?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 21 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 14:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

narlus
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2006
7,570 posts
North Andover, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

let's hear your war stories.

last night i gave up after a little over one song...i took about 15 photos in total...had two cameras and 5 lenses w/ me...nothing was working. argh.

the club was Regattabar, an upscale jazz club in the Charles Hotel. the usual rules were in place (1st 3, no flash, be unobtrusive). the problem was the layout...the room was quadrant-shaped, with the stage in the corner, and the soundboard about half-way back. there were tables situated about ~4 deep from the stage, seating for 4 at each. a clear path then separated another series of tables (these had higher tables and taller chairs).

the problem was that it was impossible to get any shots from the walkway area w/o getting tons of people's heads in the way, and you were not encouraged to stay and stand in one place for very long. even shooting near the soundboard (there was a support pillar next to it) yielded lousy vantage points.

before the show started i did notice that there was a wider than usual aisle, i think to make way for a patron who was using a wheelchair to get up to his front table. before the band got on, i went up there and chatted w/ a person, asking him if it was OK for me to scoot up here for a bit during the 1st song, and he was fine w/ it. that was the only decent vantage point, but unfortunately the band leader's back was to me the entire time; i managed a sie profile shot of him playing guitar, w/ the drummer in the background, which is probably my only usable shot. the 3rd member was also seated, playing viola w/ a music stand in front of him.

:mad: :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

just one of those nights.

Post #1, Jan 21, 2009 14:10:41

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Eels.
3 song rule.
From the back of the hall.
200mm was short.
No flash (wouldn't have helped much, except filling in shadows: The guy was wearing a baseball cap :rolleyes:)
No lighting worth the name either :rolleyes:

Managed a few at 1/25. ISO 1600, underexposed about a stop, wide open on a 80-200 with (I think) 1.4x TC.
Monopod came in handy.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.moonglade.n​et ...d_200803014_CrLx_02​86.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #2, Jan 21, 2009 18:17:06

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

Yikes. Time for some stage and crowd shots maybe?

Post #3, Jan 22, 2009 02:03:00

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Nouks
Joined Oct 2007
824 posts
Enschede, The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Eels was really terrible. I know, I was there ;)

Besides that, I usually stop shooting before I did 3 songs in case the lighting was really decent and there's more to shoot (read: festivals). Last weekend I've done a lot of bands, some of them only 5-12 minutes of shooting time, after that moving on to the next band because I thought I should have the photos. And yes, I had.

And I sometimes did bands in only 30 seconds to 5 minutes because I was late. Sometimes I was able to get the photos I needed (in those 30 seconds I did), sometimes I didn't.

And last weekend when I was shooting Ghinzu, a mad stagehand really made a fool of himself trying to make me think I would die if I would continue shooting. I told the guy I was allowed to and if I wasn't, someone should have told me that in advance and not (after being 20 minutes early just to even get IN and be ABLE to shoot) during the first song. I did continue (although not too obvious), but quit after taking just a few photos. I had some okayish photos, but should have been able to get better ones when I would have stayed.

Edit; one of the Ghinzu photos I took:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.nouks.nl/Gh​inzu2.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I even sent 3 photos to the online magazine I was shooting for, of which this was one.

Post #4, Jan 23, 2009 16:26:16

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Websiteexternal linkPortfolioexternal linkArchiveexternal link

Nouks
Joined Oct 2007
824 posts
Enschede, The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

DDCSD wrote in post #7160859external link
Yikes. Time for some stage and crowd shots maybe?

With Eels, you mean? Weren't allowed to. Crowd was like black and manager was keeping an eye on all photographers staying at the back (30-40 m from the stage or something) and not moving into the crowd.

Post #5, Jan 23, 2009 16:33:06

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Websiteexternal linkPortfolioexternal linkArchiveexternal link

sponsored links
johnms88
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
1,053 posts
Niagara Falls, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I stopped shooting Paramore after the first song.

Why?

She spit on me. No. Not spit. Hocked a loogie. Rightttt on my camera.

Walked out of a different venue once before the show even started because they built 2 towers of speakers, and put them in the pit. How you fit 4 photogs in about 5 feet of pit space wasn't something i wanted to learn, so I left.

Post #6, Jan 24, 2009 19:53:45

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.comexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

skifurthur
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
Living in his Nowhere Land
[MORE/SHARE]

If I am not shooting for anyone but myself, I have stopped shooting/left before the allotted time is finished if the band/lighting is not visually appealing. Sometimes you can only do so much to make the photos work.

If I am shooting for a publication or band I will not leave until the allotted time is finished and sometimes that is a whole show. I feel that being a professional demands that you give your all no matter what the compensation is. Delivering the goods when adverse conditions exist shows your value. I once shot a show that had the most horrid magenta lighting I have ever seen. Not only was there way too much of it, the gels in the cans were of varying ages and wear so even the bad light was inconsistent. I shot close to 800 shots and came away with under 15 keepers...my worst ratio ever. You know what? A few of those keepers are really good and the performer loved them. Now the next time I need access for them, I can remind them that I bring that value to the table.

Post #7, Jan 26, 2009 08:59:52

www.amsaddler.comexternal link
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2006
7,570 posts
North Andover, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

for those curious, here's the fruit of my efforts

IMAGE: http://narlus.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p873892407-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://narlus.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p598890683-3.jpg

IMAGE: http://narlus.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p792092508-3.jpg

good show though, if you are curiousexternal link

Post #8, Jan 26, 2009 09:24:43

gear list

stathunter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
5,580 posts
California & Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Personally I hate when they do not treat photographers as value. When hired to photograph a band/group/artist--- I always contact the group to get shots before the concert. Many times they accommodate and we can get great shots. But when they are not friendly-- I give my editors shots that make the "artist" look less than 100%.

Post #9, Jan 26, 2009 09:29:27

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2006
7,570 posts
North Andover, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

stathunter wrote in post #7189994external link
Personally I hate when they do not treat photographers as value. When hired to photograph a band/group/artist--- I always contact the group to get shots before the concert. Many times they accommodate and we can get great shots. But when they are not friendly-- I give my editors shots that make the "artist" look less than 100%.

i personally don't think that's a good approach. your editors don't care about the particular hardships you had to put up w/ at a concert shoot, they just want the finished product. giving them less than what you could have will reflect poorly on you, not your subject.

Post #10, Jan 27, 2009 08:41:02

gear list

skifurthur
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
Living in his Nowhere Land
[MORE/SHARE]

stathunter wrote in post #7189994external link

For me, I make sure that I provide enough value to the band to not be undervalued. When I am hired by a publication I make sure the editor gets the best shots I can provide. Even if the band are jerks the publication is the one paying me and I should always provide my best.

Post #11, Jan 27, 2009 19:16:24

www.amsaddler.comexternal link
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Agree

Post #12, Jan 28, 2009 00:52:47

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
Joined Jan 2006
5,732 posts
Melbourne, VIC Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree skifurther but there are times when I will miss the three songs - I did it a couple of time on Monday when shooting a festival due to timing conflicts.

Post #13, Jan 28, 2009 03:38:52

Black Shadow Photographyexternal link
Facebookexternal link Flickrexternal link Twitterexternal link
Gear List Myspaceexternal link

Milner
Joined Sep 2004
336 posts
City of Salt
[MORE/SHARE]

Gladys Knight....First the allowed only first 2 songs, then sent a staff to shadow me, and then would only allow shooting from behind the sound booth! This was an outdoor venue and the sound booth was a ways back. Too far for even a a decent full body shoot with the 70-200. I didn't take the 100-400, as it is not generally part of my concert kit. Got all I could during the first song and left. Luckily I was shooting for the venue, not the artist and had plenty of stuff from other shows.

Post #14, Jan 29, 2009 09:29:56 as a reply to blackshadow's post 1 day earlier.

TOYS, Enjoy your life everyday!!!!
Camera suff: 40D, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L non-is, 24-70L, nifty 50, Tokina 11-16, ex580 X2, A2 for that icky film stuff. Lights=Photogenic 1250's x2 and Norman ml400 x2.
Cars: 73 Bronco Buggy, 95 F250 PSD, 06 Liberty CRD, 49 Studebaker PU

Jacob ­ Dinesen
Joined Sep 2008
33 posts
Copenhagen, Denmark
[MORE/SHARE]

I have done this a quite a few times, usually its a combination of music I can't stand and a boring show.

Exibit 1: Kings of Leon. In my book one of the most overrated bands in the world + concert in bright sunlight + no motion at all + 70 photographers in a small pit. No point in staying.

IMAGE: http://jacobdinesen.net/gallery/2008/Kings_of_Leon,_Roskilde_Festival,_2008/images/_E2P8474.jpg

Exibit 2: Metallica. I was supposed to have more more less all access to photo at a the show but the security at the venue managed to screw that up. I left after halt a song but was eventually convinced to go back by the label.
IMAGE: http://jacobdinesen.net/gallery/2008/Metallica,_O2_World,_2008/images/_H1W7840.jpg

Exibit 3: Jazon Mraz. Nothing happened...nothing at all. I felt that I had gotten the shot I needed and left.
IMAGE: http://jacobdinesen.net/gallery/2008/Jason_Mraz,_Vega,_2008/images/_E2P7022.jpg

Besides from these I often have to leave concerts at festival due to a tight schedule were one needs to be several places at the same time.

Post #15, Jan 31, 2009 10:32:56

+2000 concerts +35.000 photos - http://foto.jacobdines​en.netexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
how many times have you stopped shooting before the 3rd song was over?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES