Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Performing Arts Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of January 2009 (Wed)   #1
narlus
Cream of the Crop

Default how many times have you stopped shooting before the 3rd song was over?

let's hear your war stories.

last night i gave up after a little over one song...i took about 15 photos in total...had two cameras and 5 lenses w/ me...nothing was working. argh.

the club was Regattabar, an upscale jazz club in the Charles Hotel. the usual rules were in place (1st 3, no flash, be unobtrusive). the problem was the layout...the room was quadrant-shaped, with the stage in the corner, and the soundboard about half-way back. there were tables situated about ~4 deep from the stage, seating for 4 at each. a clear path then separated another series of tables (these had higher tables and taller chairs).

the problem was that it was impossible to get any shots from the walkway area w/o getting tons of people's heads in the way, and you were not encouraged to stay and stand in one place for very long. even shooting near the soundboard (there was a support pillar next to it) yielded lousy vantage points.

before the show started i did notice that there was a wider than usual aisle, i think to make way for a patron who was using a wheelchair to get up to his front table. before the band got on, i went up there and chatted w/ a person, asking him if it was OK for me to scoot up here for a bit during the 1st song, and he was fine w/ it. that was the only decent vantage point, but unfortunately the band leader's back was to me the entire time; i managed a sie profile shot of him playing guitar, w/ the drummer in the background, which is probably my only usable shot. the 3rd member was also seated, playing viola w/ a music stand in front of him.

just one of those nights.
narlus is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of January 2009 (Wed)   #2
René Damkot

Default Re: how many times have you stopped shooting before the 3rd song was over?

Eels.
3 song rule.
From the back of the hall.
200mm was short.
No flash (wouldn't have helped much, except filling in shadows: The guy was wearing a baseball cap )
No lighting worth the name either

Managed a few at 1/25. ISO 1600, underexposed about a stop, wide open on a 80-200 with (I think) 1.4x TC.
Monopod came in handy.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of January 2009 (Thu)   #3
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Default Re: how many times have you stopped shooting before the 3rd song was over?

Yikes. Time for some stage and crowd shots maybe?

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of January 2009 (Fri)   #4
Nouks

Eels was really terrible. I know, I was there

Besides that, I usually stop shooting before I did 3 songs in case the lighting was really decent and there's more to shoot (read: festivals). Last weekend I've done a lot of bands, some of them only 5-12 minutes of shooting time, after that moving on to the next band because I thought I should have the photos. And yes, I had.

And I sometimes did bands in only 30 seconds to 5 minutes because I was late. Sometimes I was able to get the photos I needed (in those 30 seconds I did), sometimes I didn't.

And last weekend when I was shooting Ghinzu, a mad stagehand really made a fool of himself trying to make me think I would die if I would continue shooting. I told the guy I was allowed to and if I wasn't, someone should have told me that in advance and not (after being 20 minutes early just to even get IN and be ABLE to shoot) during the first song. I did continue (although not too obvious), but quit after taking just a few photos. I had some okayish photos, but should have been able to get better ones when I would have stayed.

Edit; one of the Ghinzu photos I took:

I even sent 3 photos to the online magazine I was shooting for, of which this was one.
Nouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2009 (Fri)   #5
Nouks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCSD View Post
Yikes. Time for some stage and crowd shots maybe?
With Eels, you mean? Weren't allowed to. Crowd was like black and manager was keeping an eye on all photographers staying at the back (30-40 m from the stage or something) and not moving into the crowd.
Nouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of January 2009 (Sat)   #6
johnms88

I stopped shooting Paramore after the first song.

Why?

She spit on me. No. Not spit. Hocked a loogie. Rightttt on my camera.

Walked out of a different venue once before the show even started because they built 2 towers of speakers, and put them in the pit. How you fit 4 photogs in about 5 feet of pit space wasn't something i wanted to learn, so I left.
Old 26th of January 2009 (Mon)   #7
skifurthur

If I am not shooting for anyone but myself, I have stopped shooting/left before the allotted time is finished if the band/lighting is not visually appealing. Sometimes you can only do so much to make the photos work.

If I am shooting for a publication or band I will not leave until the allotted time is finished and sometimes that is a whole show. I feel that being a professional demands that you give your all no matter what the compensation is. Delivering the goods when adverse conditions exist shows your value. I once shot a show that had the most horrid magenta lighting I have ever seen. Not only was there way too much of it, the gels in the cans were of varying ages and wear so even the bad light was inconsistent. I shot close to 800 shots and came away with under 15 keepers...my worst ratio ever. You know what? A few of those keepers are really good and the performer loved them. Now the next time I need access for them, I can remind them that I bring that value to the table.

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender
skifurthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2009 (Mon)   #8
narlus
Cream of the Crop

for those curious, here's the fruit of my efforts

good show though, if you are curious
Old 26th of January 2009 (Mon)   #9
stathunter
Cream of the Crop

Personally I hate when they do not treat photographers as value. When hired to photograph a band/group/artist--- I always contact the group to get shots before the concert. Many times they accommodate and we can get great shots. But when they are not friendly-- I give my editors shots that make the "artist" look less than 100%.
Old 27th of January 2009 (Tue)   #10
narlus
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathunter View Post
Personally I hate when they do not treat photographers as value. When hired to photograph a band/group/artist--- I always contact the group to get shots before the concert. Many times they accommodate and we can get great shots. But when they are not friendly-- I give my editors shots that make the "artist" look less than 100%.
i personally don't think that's a good approach. your editors don't care about the particular hardships you had to put up w/ at a concert shoot, they just want the finished product. giving them less than what you could have will reflect poorly on you, not your subject.
Old 27th of January 2009 (Tue)   #11
skifurthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathunter View Post
For me, I make sure that I provide enough value to the band to not be undervalued. When I am hired by a publication I make sure the editor gets the best shots I can provide. Even if the band are jerks the publication is the one paying me and I should always provide my best.

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender
skifurthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of January 2009 (Wed)   #12
René Damkot

Agree

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of January 2009 (Wed)   #13
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

I agree skifurther but there are times when I will miss the three songs - I did it a couple of time on Monday when shooting a festival due to timing conflicts.
blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of January 2009 (Thu)   #14
Milner

Gladys Knight....First the allowed only first 2 songs, then sent a staff to shadow me, and then would only allow shooting from behind the sound booth! This was an outdoor venue and the sound booth was a ways back. Too far for even a a decent full body shoot with the 70-200. I didn't take the 100-400, as it is not generally part of my concert kit. Got all I could during the first song and left. Luckily I was shooting for the venue, not the artist and had plenty of stuff from other shows.
Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2009 (Sat)   #15
Jacob Dinesen

I have done this a quite a few times, usually its a combination of music I can't stand and a boring show.

Exibit 1: Kings of Leon. In my book one of the most overrated bands in the world + concert in bright sunlight + no motion at all + 70 photographers in a small pit. No point in staying.

Exibit 2: Metallica. I was supposed to have more more less all access to photo at a the show but the security at the venue managed to screw that up. I left after halt a song but was eventually convinced to go back by the label.

Exibit 3: Jazon Mraz. Nothing happened...nothing at all. I felt that I had gotten the shot I needed and left.

Besides from these I often have to leave concerts at festival due to a tight schedule were one needs to be several places at the same time.