Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 25 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 18:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Canon Speedlite coming soon?

borism
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, Weston
Jan 25, 2009 18:52 |  #1

I read rumors about a new Canon 700 EX speedlite
Supposedly is not to take the 580EXII place but to complement the speelite line with a even more professional unit (all rumors).
My guess is that it will be pricier, more powerful and with a upgraded interface to give more control, and therefore to compete directly with Nikons SB900.
If the 580 EX II does what you need, go get it, always buy what you Need, not what you could need or could come in the future.
Just my 2 cents

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Jan 25, 2009 21:04 |  #2

borism wrote in post #7186067external link
I read rumors about a new Canon 700 EX speedlite
Supposedly is not to take the 580EXII place but to complement the speelite line with a even more professional unit (all rumors).
My guess is that it will be pricier, more powerful and with a upgraded interface to give more control, and therefore to compete directly with Nikons SB900.

If the 580 EX II does what you need, go get it, always buy what you Need, not what you could need or could come in the future.
Just my 2 cents

The 580EX is already more powerful than the SB-900 and the user interface is just fine on the 580EX. The only major option that the SB-900 has which the 580EX II doesn't have is the optical slave triggering mode and I doubt Canon is going to come out with a new flash just for that. From what I've seen, Canon usually comes out with a new flash to enhance or supplement a new feature that's available on a new EOS camera.

...Leo

borism
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, Weston
Jan 26, 2009 07:14 as a reply to PacAce's post |  #3

http://www.canonrumors​.com/2009/01/speedlite​-700-ex-cr2/external link

As I wrote is all rumors
Yes I know the 580 is more powerful than the sb900
However I do believe that the interface and wireless control of the sb900 is nicer and friendlier than the 580, and this is something that could be enhanced.
I read the information from canon rumors and another forum, as any rumor take it with a grain of salt.
Apologies for any miss understood information.
Cheers

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

Lithian
139 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Jan 26, 2009 11:09 |  #4

If canon were to announce a new flash it'd be at pma so if you want to wait and see its not very far away...

That said if they do bring out a new flash i'd expect an updated smaller flash to please the casual rebel crowd rather than something bigger than a 580

borism
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, Weston
Jan 26, 2009 11:19 |  #5

Lithian wrote in post #7190556external link
If canon were to announce a new flash it'd be at pma so if you want to wait and see its not very far away...

That said if they do bring out a new flash i'd expect an updated smaller flash to please the casual rebel crowd rather than something bigger than a 580

http://www.canonrumors​.com/2009/01/speedlite​-300ex-cr2/external link

Again , just a rumor

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2009 11:27 |  #6

Where Canon currently has a void.... an all manual flash that can operate as a slave (triggered) with good power and tilt and rotate head. A dumberd down 430, for example.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Oteck
570 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Vancouver B.C.
Jan 26, 2009 12:27 |  #7

I wish they update the ST-E2 Already....

Canon 7D, 50D/BG-E2N, 580EXII
EF-s 10-22mm, EF-s 17-55mm 2.8 [70-200mm IS 2.8L[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blac​k]][85L[COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Black]1.2] (coming soon 35L II? [COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blac​k]50L II?)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Jun 02, 2009 21:02 |  #8

Bringing this back as I just finished a class on Nikon flashes. IT IS UNREAL HOW MUCH EASIER it is to use the Nikon flashes on ETTL and in controllable manual remote.

I would love to see a new Canon high end flash with a new interface along with a new controller.

This space for rent.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jun 02, 2009 21:19 |  #9

The red beam of light is antiquated, so are slaves, otherwise other companies wouldn't be making so much money with radio stuff like PW and Skyports. Why can't this be built in or as a solid attachment to our speedlights; something beyond stupid PC connectors, an attachment cord and the receiver hanging down somewhere. That's like buying a car that has to tow a trailer if you want a tank that'll hold more than two gallons of gasoline.

With all the technology built into the new cameras and the new speedlight/camera combinations, this one part really is fragmented.

They could make a speedlight that is the same size as the 580EXII but has the better attached radio that works ETTL, then they could make it so you could have additional units or larger units that work the same. Othewise why are these other companies doing so well.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Jun 02, 2009 21:22 |  #10

Jannie, you are so right. If I could buy a Canon flash that offered full ETTL/Remote Manual control on board via radio communications, I'd buy 4 of them before they could say boo.

This space for rent.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jun 02, 2009 21:40 |  #11

Yeah, scrap the evil red beam and offer us something professional that working people can count on. The flash head is wonderful, why do we have to Mickey Mouse it to make it work. I have attached industrial velcro all around my flash heads so I can use snoots, barn doors, bounce cards. LumiQuest attachments, they work but the rest of the lighting world has this figured out, is there something I'm missing, are we playing with an attitude that speedlights are still amateur gear, then why make us a unit that costs as much as a monolight that really needs some more practicality built in.

I still hate the way the thing is programmed, wish we just had switches and dials rather than push this button once but push it twice if you want something else, nothing standard here, I really want to concentrate on taking the photos, not programing my damn speedlight so I've taken the advice and dropped the use of the Canon wireless and bought Skyports, I also followed the other professional advice and use manual on the speedlights and have scrapped using ETTL unless I use the short coil cord ETTL when I want to hand hold the flash in some circumstances.

So a whole bunch of that built in menu junk is wasted money to me and the people I learned from here on the forum. And I can use the same methods that I use with my monolights so all I've gained is being able to use something that's lighter.

We want to focus our attention on the subject we are lighting and how the lights going to look, not how to learn another menu which will change again with the next model. Simple example, the older Canon speedlights with the manual switch for slave or master is something you don't even have to think about, just flip the switch and shoot.

Focus on the talent, focus on the subject, grrrrrrrrr...

Now I'm irritated.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Jun 02, 2009 21:46 |  #12

Opps. Sorry.

Some of the simple stuff that is missing is mind boggling. For instance, in ETTL, why can't you set FEC by channel, instead of just ratios between two channels.

I could go on forever. Should I? :)

This space for rent.

KAS
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Niagara Region, Canada
Jun 03, 2009 16:28 |  #13

Jannie, I'm with you 100%!!

Quantum already has built-in RF communication with TTL. Of course, these flashes are well over $1000, but it exists. The next flash unit from Canon should definitely have RF communication built in.

And I agree about the interface. I would love to see more dials and switches in lieu of buttons and menus. The 580 mkI was much easier to switch between master/slave, but I like the way the 580 mkII attaches/disconnects from the shoe mount.

Mattograph, good point as well. Independent dials/sliders or whatever for each flash group (which should also be more than 2 + bg). I'd love to see that kind of control!

Hope for the best, expect nothing. :)

1Ds MkIII, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 100mm F/2.8, EF 35 f/1.4L, EF 50 f/1.2L, EF 85 f/1.2L II)

| Niagara Weddings & Portraits - Afterglow Imagesexternal link
| Niagara Weddings & Portraits - Afterglow Images Blogexternal link

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009
St. Louis, MO
Jun 03, 2009 17:48 |  #14

PacAce wrote in post #7186963external link
The 580EX is already more powerful than the SB-900 and the user interface is just fine on the 580EX. The only major option that the SB-900 has which the 580EX II doesn't have is the optical slave triggering mode and I doubt Canon is going to come out with a new flash just for that. From what I've seen, Canon usually comes out with a new flash to enhance or supplement a new feature that's available on a new EOS camera.

This made me think of something...I'm reading McNally's book Hot Shoe Diaries and I'm trying to translate his Nikon-speak/Nikon-Features in to Canonese. He talks about zooming the SB-900 to 200mm. My 580EX II manual says only goes to 120mm I think. Prob not a big deal but if the 580EX II is more powerful why less zoom (or maybe that's why). True?

flickrexternal link

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Louisville, KY
Jun 03, 2009 18:20 |  #15

In the spirit of that great english tradition known as spinal tap, Nikon's goes to "11".

Don't read that book..... You'll scratch your head forever wondering "How come my Canon won't do that?"

If you ever get a chance, check out kelbytraining.com. You can sign up for a month for $20. If you do, its worth it just for the McNally classes. Its like 40 hours of joe shooting in the studio, on location, with lights big and small. His stuff on lighting is great, but his stuff on relating to the client is gold.

Anyway, he takes you through the whole nikon system. You know those things actually work outside line of sight, out of the box? He shoots ETTL all the time, at least in the videos, because the Nikon system works.

Somewhere in this forum I once posted "Canon's flashes kick Nikons in the butt." In power yes, but in ease of use? No. No way.

This space for rent.

sponsored links

14,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon Speedlite coming soon?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.