Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 25 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 18:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Canon Speedlite coming soon?

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 07, 2010 20:10 |  #46
banned

sweet, a new speedlite.
that means the 580 ex II will be worth half as much! yay!!!

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Jul 07, 2010 20:12 |  #47
banned

Faolan wrote in post #10494608external link
One word: Quadra. It costs around the price of two 580EX flashes, and gives around 4-5 times more power. The head is smaller than a 580EX but the pack is a bit bulky. It's also got remote power control via Skyport.

Is it a direct replacement for the 580? No, it's targeted at the QFlash users and as an entry level system for Strobists. In this is succeeds brilliantly. Downside no waterproofing.

thats like comparing apples and oranges, no debate there.

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

Faolan
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Scotland
Jul 08, 2010 03:43 |  #48

Jannie wrote in post #10494968external link
You can adjust the quadra light output from the transmitter?

Yes, all RX compatible heads in the Elinchrom range can enable the modeling light and control the power.

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10495895external link
thats like comparing apples and oranges, no debate there.

In some ways yes, but they are pretty much over-lapping markets. They've targeted the QFlash users which also overlaps the small portable flash guns. In fact since a lot of wedding photographers use extra power packs for recycle times then the case for flash guns diminishes. Flash guns do have a place but jury rigging them to accept studio kit is not always fun especially when under pressure.

I've used the 'Strobist' style photography for about 5-6 years, long before it became popular. The Quadra simply is just a better system if you're doing this. The QFlash is too complicated to figure out what you need. The Flash guns need too many points of failure to be truly reliable under pressure. A Flash gun adaptor, cables, hot-shoe adaptors, jury-rigged studio modifiers. The Quadra is one cable and boom you're ready, attach a softbox and already you have a bigger and better light source.

Considering what I've spent on flash guns and modifiers I can just as easily stick the Quadra on a monopod and I'm away with far less hassle and about the same in costs. The days the Strobist movement is a lot cheaper than when I started out. The main downside is that you lose E-TTL but since I'm mostly shooting full manual anyway it's not that much of a biggie. The main problem I find with the Quadra is that it's too powerful!

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickrexternal link - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Designexternal link - Photography and WordPress Development.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 08, 2010 06:37 |  #49

Faolan wrote in post #10497579external link
Considering what I've spent on flash guns and modifiers I can just as easily stick the Quadra on a monopod and I'm away with far less hassle and about the same in costs. The days the Strobist movement is a lot cheaper than when I started out.

Not being a strobist, I, still, have had a lot of interest in portable lighting and I cannot see where a Quadra is cheaper or can match the cost of a Nikon SB-nn, for example. The additional pieces being more or less equal in price (stands, umbrellas, other modifiers).

More convenient, yes, but I don't see the Quadra as being in the spirit of a strobist, cheap and portable with the emphasis on cheap.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Faolan
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Scotland
Jul 08, 2010 08:43 |  #50

I'm basing the costs on what I've spent in regards to gear over the years, as I said prices have changed dramatically. Also costs can't just be about hardware, costs also should factor time on session. It's simply quicker, more reliable and efficient to use a Quadra on set compared to setting up flash guns in many cases. Then you have the you have the headaches of jury-rigging softboxes, lights and so on.

The final nail is the lack of power in Flash guns for some types of work, for example over-powering the sun. You need to be in close, have multiple flash guns or take multiple exposures. Any of which can limit your creativity. This isn't to say there isn't a case for Flash guns, there is and I still do use them for location work.

Strobism is about using light intelligently (or lack of), not about cheap or cheapskate. If that was the case why did David Hobby use Pocket Wizards? There's been plenty of radio triggers over years that have been just as reliable.

Yes you have a strong DIY community with the Strobist movement, but Strobism is nothing new. David Hobby just popularised a form of photography that's been around for years (DG28 anyone?).

Quadra Power pack and head = £800-900 ball park.
580 + 430EX flash guns + triggers = 600-900 depending on what triggers
Adaptors for Flash guns and cables etc, another £50-80

For me the Quadra means I can start to amalgamate my gear for both studio and location, which again saves costs when I don't have to duplicate or jury-rig studio gear to work with flash guns.

Flickrexternal link - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jul 08, 2010 11:08 |  #51

Quadra is looking better all the time but if I go that way I assume I'll incorporate it into a combination with at least one speedlight.

With the money thing, I think my speedlight kit with two lights case, a solid kit with Skyports came to over $1,900 which doesn't include all the stuff I bought and set aside along the way so I don't really (now that I have some experience using this stuff) think that were I to start over, think that a Quadra would be out of line.

My interest was not to have a cheap alternative to my strobes but to have something small and lightweight which would be efficient and do a good job.

From what I've learned and if I could do it over, I might consider two combinations considering I also have two Elinchrom strobes and three octoboxes/BD etc.

Keeping my strobe kit I would redo my strobist kit to one Quadra and one 580exII and come up with one favorite large modifier in addition to my current umbrellas etc.

Or replace my Elinchrom BX400's, keep the modifiers and have a pair of the Profoto Acute 600's or A two light Ranger setup that is comfortable working with my 69" Elinchrom Octobox and one 580exII.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jul 08, 2010 11:10 |  #52

Oh I'm not saying it's not a great portable solution. From the sounds of it, it is the way to go.

Replace the 580/430 with a couple of manual Nikon flashes for $100 each, or a single one, if you don't need the power of a Quadra. Maybe I am wrong but I read a review/test on the Quadra and it puts out 1 stop more light than a 580.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jul 08, 2010 14:32 |  #53

From the reviews I've read over time, the 580EXII puts out the equivalent of a 100 watt second light and the Quadra 400ws, if this is wrong, please let me know because getting one more stop would probably not be worth it for me.

Ms.Jannie

Faolan
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Scotland
Jul 08, 2010 14:47 |  #54

Think of this way it's not the extra stop of power but more the quality of light, the flexibility and reliability.

Quality of light is far better on a Quadra, it can use a reflector or bare bulb. A flash gun is limited to forward/narrow arcs. For me the better coverage is far more critical.

Flexibility. I can pretty much use any studio modifier and remote control the power. Something that's not easily achieved or done with flash guns. Flash guns lack the power to power the modifiers especially softboxes. As to power control, sure you can get TX units that can control power but they're pretty much crippled or stuck in America plus need an extra cable...

Reliability. Again whilst flash guns can be reliable they have too many points of failure. TX/RX units, cables and/or adaptors. The Quadra needs one cable for the pack/head and you're ready to roll. If you need a second head attach another cable job done. Oh and it has a modeling light that makes focusing in low light a doddle, again you need to use a torch to do this with a 580EX and a TX unit...

Overall from subjective tests the Quadra puts out one to two stops more power. Evenly. This is the critical aspect the light is even across the subject. A flash gun by it's very nature will create hot spots and if you try to diffuse those you're killing the light output. The pack cycles faster and has last me a full day one one battery pack, something that my 580EX struggles to do on AAs. It's also got a ready beep to tell me it's ready for the next shot, again something important to me and whilst Nikon has this Canon decided to ignore this.

At the end of the Quadra will compliment the rest of my Elinchrom equipment, it'll also be used in conjunction with the flash guns to to do multi-light set ups.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jul 09, 2010 17:33 |  #55

I have to admit that I almost never use my speedlights on full power when photographing people because the recycle time is too long, that would be another advanatage of the Quadra, assuming that it's recycle time at half power is at least equal to the 580EXII at half power, and yes even just a little bit of modeling light out of the key would certainly help for focus.

Ms.Jannie

jennyloves
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 14, 2010 21:46 |  #56

thanks for your kind advise, i am just need one, may be i will like that.

---------------

http://www.tiffany-mine.comexternal link

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jul 19, 2010 00:12 |  #57

I was looking at the literature for the new RX Quadra and the power pack is set up for either 400W with just one head or if you use two, one will be 266 W and the other 133W if that helps anyone. That's quite a huge amount more for me.

I don't regret my speedlight strobist kit cost because I learned a lot in the process; I've not used it enough to pay for itself nor has it really opened any doors for me but it's to the point where it makes a lot of things easier and I'm likely to toss it in the trunk as a just-in-case I need some lights setup so that gives me some peace of mind.

Ms.Jannie

sponsored links

14,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon Speedlite coming soon?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.