Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 08:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: HDR : Tutorial And Information Links

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Feb 18, 2012 08:22 as a reply to post 13906676 |  #46

B&W HDR

Anyone care to share tips / workflow with black & white HDR?

Thank you

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
stumbows
369 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Wollongong NSW Australia
May 08, 2012 21:27 |  #47

I have a question.

If I use software like Lightroom or Photoshop to manually overexpose and underexpose one shot that I have saving all three post capture exposures can I then create a HDR shot using those varied exposures?

taylor_h
60 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Corvallis, Oregon
May 11, 2012 01:44 |  #48

stumbows wrote in post #14402048external link
I have a question.

If I use software like Lightroom or Photoshop to manually overexpose and underexpose one shot that I have saving all three post capture exposures can I then create a HDR shot using those varied exposures?

Yes and most of the popular HDR software packages can accept a single image as the source, so there's not need to create extra exposure in Photoshop. But note you're not creating a true HDR in the sense that a single exposure "bracketed" in Photoshop won't provide anymore detail than the single exposure itself: If you have clipped highlights or shadows in your single exposure, they'll be clipped in your tonemapped version.

If you really want to take advantage of HDR, you'll need multiple, "real" bracketed exposures.

[5D Mark III : Tokina 11-16/2.8 : 100/2.8 Macro USM : 70-200/4L USM : Rokinon 85/1.4 : 580EX II + OC-E3]
FLICKRexternal link

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Aug 16, 2012 07:14 as a reply to taylor_h's post |  #49

Shutter speed cheat sheet?

Does anyone have a shutter speed pocket cheat guide for those who want to bracket more than the standard 3 shots?

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

cturner
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2012
Oct 15, 2012 13:28 |  #50

I am very interested in experimenting with HDR. Can anyone tell me how to program my Canon 60d (creative mode) so that I can just turn the dial to "C" and have my options preset for shooting HDR? I have tried with no success.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Oct 15, 2012 19:43 |  #51

cturner wrote in post #15125485external link
I am very interested in experimenting with HDR. Can anyone tell me how to program my Canon 60d (creative mode) so that I can just turn the dial to "C" and have my options preset for shooting HDR? I have tried with no success.

Set the camera to Av mode and adjust the aperture to your choice. Set the drive mode to high speed continuous if you are using a remote release or the 2 second timer if using the shutter button. Set the ISO to a reasonable value (but not auto ISO). Set AEB to whatever interval you want, usually + - 2 stops. Then register these settings to the C mode.

Registering the C mode is explained on page 262 of the manual.

Forgot to mention: When in Av mode, be sure to use the little black viewfinder cover attached to the camera strap. It will block light entering the viewfinder and affecting exposure.

ṐṼḞ

kponds
233 posts
Joined Oct 2012
West Tennessee
Oct 22, 2012 16:10 |  #52

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14865383external link
Does anyone have a shutter speed pocket cheat guide for those who want to bracket more than the standard 3 shots?

I know this is an old post, but you ought to look at installing Magic Lantern firmware extension on your camera. It supports bracketing with up to 7 shots for HDR.

I'm not sure if I'm getting much better results with more than 3 shots (-2EV, metered, and +2EV) though. I guess it depends on the scene but anecdotally it seems like my 3-shot HDRs turn out better. My photomatix technique is surely lacking, however.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Bay Area, CA
Jan 10, 2013 00:30 |  #53

B and H tutorial video

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=v3CPavb2NWsexternal link

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickrexternal link

diamonddawg21
Joined Sep 2009
Jun 23, 2013 09:45 |  #54

imjason wrote in post #15469199external link
B and H tutorial video

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=v3CPavb2NWsexternal link

+1, Thanks

CANON 7D Mark II - 85MM 1.8 24-105L IS - 50MM 1.8 STM -70-200 F2.8 L

russellsnr2
THREAD ­ STARTER
973 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Dec 01, 2013 03:57 |  #55

Hi, Can anyone direct me to a link for Night Time HDR tutorials.
Prefer video ones but read only would be great.
Many Thanks

Many Thanks,
Russell.

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Dec 23, 2015 06:46 |  #56

I find it extraordinary that this outdated thread (mainly Photomatix-based) remains as a sticky!

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Feb 26, 2016 07:26 as a reply to Stiga's post |  #57

I find it extraordinary that this outdated thread (mainly Photomatix-based) remains as a sticky!

Having worked my way through the posts and on finding broken link after broken link then seen the post dates and realised that the thread is prehistoric, I came to post the same thing! :)

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

sponsored links

57,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR : Tutorial And Information Links
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.