Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 03 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 10:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Abandoned Machinery...Do You Have One...

LarryD
Joined Jan 2009
Mojave Desert
Feb 03, 2009 10:59 |  #1

I found this old train in the woods outside of Skagway, Alaska.

Funny, the stuff that people have just laying around.. Have you found any old machinery lately ??

IMAGE: http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/LD_album/Nature/Alaska/OldTrain.jpg

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shotsexternal link
http://500px.com/Larry​Dexternal link

sponsored links
MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Vancouver, BC
Feb 03, 2009 11:16 |  #2

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net ...89481920_1203031_54​29.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net ...89481920_1203032_58​61.jpg (external link)

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net ...89481920_1203034_67​09.jpg (external link)

I found this old beast on an island - North Thormanby Island, BC - I was staying on this past summer.

I wish I could find more lost treasures like this, and what you've found. They certainly provides many interesting photo opps.

My site: www.millionflame.comexternal link
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

mavericksupersonic
325 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Northern NJ
Feb 03, 2009 11:16 |  #3

LarryD wrote in post #7245523external link
I found this old train in the woods outside of Skagway, Alaska.

Funny, the stuff that people have just laying around.. Have you found any old machinery lately ??

Nice find. Is there any story to go with it?

Marc

LarryD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
Mojave Desert
Feb 03, 2009 11:28 |  #4

mavericksupersonic wrote in post #7245625external link
Nice find. Is there any story to go with it?

Yes, there is... (not mine, some boring history)

During the Alaska Gold Rush in 1896, prospective miners came up from the States, through Canada and the Yukon, then entered Alaska at Skagway. They had to go single file through the White Pass, which took several weeks and several treks to get the mandatory 1 ton of grubstake conveyed.

An enterprizing company decided they needed a train to move all this stuff and people, so they built one........Unfortunate​ly, by the time the WhitePass & Yukon Railway got started in 1898, the gold rush was over..

The train and tracks still make the few mile journey, but only to transport tourists, the only time it ever made any money.. All the trains are now Deisel powered.. this one seems to be steam and coal... and a snowplow on the front.

As for my finding it, I was on a Cruise to Alaska and one of the stops is Skagway. While hiking in the thick undergrowth where it seemed nobody had ever been..........here I find this train......probably rusting away for decades..

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shotsexternal link
http://500px.com/Larry​Dexternal link

brianclark4
27 posts
Joined Dec 2004
I live in a small town in the North East of England, named Beverley
Feb 03, 2009 11:40 |  #5

LarryD wrote in post #7245693 (external link)
Yes, there is... (not mine, some boring history)

During the Alaska Gold Rush in 1896, prospective miners came up from the States, through Canada and the Yukon, then entered Alaska at Skagway. They had to go single file through the White Pass, which took several weeks and several treks to get the mandatory 1 ton of grubstake conveyed.

An enterprizing company decided they needed a train to move all this stuff and people, so they built one........Unfortunate​ly, by the time the WhitePass & Yukon Railway got started in 1898, the gold rush was over..

The train and tracks still make the few mile journey, but only to transport tourists, the only time it ever made any money.. All the trains are now Deisel powered.. this one seems to be steam and coal... and a snowplow on the front.

As for my finding it, I was on a Cruise to Alaska and one of the stops is Skagway. While hiking in the thick undergrowth where it seemed nobody had ever been..........here I find this train......probably rusting away for decades..

Love the story about the Train, Larry.
This was taken on my trip to the USA. It's abandoned mining equipment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Harold_L
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Feb 03, 2009 13:01 |  #6

Larry, nice photo of the old engine. I bet that Trains Magazine (or one of its sister mags) would be interested in this picture.

Harold
Canon Rebel XT w/ Tamron 28-75 mm F2.8

sponsored links

6,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Abandoned Machinery...Do You Have One...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.