FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 05 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 09:47   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

WillMass
Joined Jan 2008
518 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

As a working event photographer, I’ve only posted photos online via an e-commerce solution to sell, and not used any services such as flickr or P Base, etc. As I begin to do some G&N work I am considering using a photo sharing site to post photos from the shoots. This will allow the models to view and critique themselves, without my having to burn them a disc of all the images. It will also allow me to get input from other photographers whose opinions I respect.

However, I am concerned about protecting the model’s privacy, and having my work someplace where it can be copied and or saved, without permission. So, I’d like something that can be password protected. I’ve also read a few stories about photos either being lifted and reposted elsewhere, or linked to without permission on these sites.

I suppose I could build my own site, for this purpose, and post the photos there, but I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Post #1, Feb 05, 2009 09:47:31

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
St. Augustine, FL by way of NY.
[MORE/SHARE]

Smugmug and Zenfolio come to mind.

Post #2, Feb 05, 2009 09:52:22

MCSquaredexternal link on Flickr
MCSquared on Facebookexternal link
MCSquared Photography
My name: Manish.

WillMass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2008
518 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #7259675external link
Smugmug and Zenfolio come to mind.

Thanks Manish,

Both of those are e-commerce sites that offer print sales, and offer less control than the e-commerce site I use now for my event work. I'm looking for something that is strictly for viewing, not for selling.

Post #3, Feb 05, 2009 10:01:05

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
11,108 posts
St. Augustine, FL by way of NY.
[MORE/SHARE]

EDIT: The 'power' account, is probably your best bet, with smugmug --- http://www.smugmug.com ...s/photo-sharing-features/external link
And I think if you use 'flickr' as a coupon code, it'll give you 50% off the first year...but, I don't know if that's for all account types.

Flickr 'will' allow you to prevent downloads of images...through a setting, but, I don't know if you can password protect galleries, as the 'free' account didn't let the user do that. Though, I dislike flickr, and won't post to my account there anymore, since they degrade images through their interpolation software once an image is uploaded.

I'm not sure about pbase, or other sites, as I've never used them.

Post #4, Feb 05, 2009 10:08:29

MCSquaredexternal link on Flickr
MCSquared on Facebookexternal link
MCSquared Photography
My name: Manish.

WillMass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2008
518 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

inthedeck wrote in post #7259764external link
EDIT: The 'power' account, is probably your best bet, with smugmug --- http://www.smugmug.com ...s/photo-sharing-features/external link
And I think if you use 'flickr' as a coupon code, it'll give you 50% off the first year...but, I don't know if that's for all account types.

Flickr 'will' allow you to prevent downloads of images...through a setting, but, I don't know if you can password protect galleries, as the 'free' account didn't let the user do that. Though, I dislike flickr, and won't post to my account there anymore, since they degrade images through their interpolation software once an image is uploaded.

I'm not sure about pbase, or other sites, as I've never used them.

Thanks for the link, Manish.

I'll check into Smug Mug's "power" account. That looks more like what I had in mind. I'm not too crazy about the look of flickr in general.

Thanks again.

Post #5, Feb 06, 2009 09:15:06

sponsored links
charger912
Joined Jun 2007
826 posts
Mid-Missoura
[MORE/SHARE]

I currently have the Power account with SmugMug and it works pretty well for general photo sharing. You've also got the ability to password protect certain albums which can be helpful at times.

I never down loaded any pics to Flickr, but I've heard all kinds of stories from other photogs who say they've had there accounts randomly deleted for no apparent reason. I think it may be more of a technical problem than anything else. Probably not the greatest place for storing pics in my opinion.

Post #6, Feb 06, 2009 13:45:42

I need a catchy sig? Ehhh, I've got nothing...

www.blue-photos.comexternal link

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Smuggy for mine, and password protect and hide galleries I want only limited people to see. You can right click disable also, which is a real PITA when I want to right click myself to get the photo properties or location link, but there's a button for getting a link too. I pay $60 a year for my power acct. And I'll share my discount code with you :)

Post #7, Feb 06, 2009 15:14:12

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

WillMass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2008
518 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm strongly considering Smug Mug based on your comments. ;)

Post #8, Feb 07, 2009 09:37:50 as a reply to hawk911's post 18 hours earlier.

chrisvl
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,474 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Exposure manager for exactly that purpose. The galleries are hidden and password protected. I send them a link. I also use Exposure Manager to sell my event photos.
I can share a discount code if you like.

Post #9, Feb 09, 2009 15:23:02

ChrisVLinton.comexternal link - Glamour
sportsNaction.comexternal link - Sports
Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
Follow me on Twitterexternal link and Instagramexternal link and Blogexternal link at Tumblrexternal link
My Gearlist

WillMass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2008
518 posts
Behind a lens somewhere
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.

As I mentioned before, I already have an e-commerce solution I use for my event work and could just continue down that path for the G/N work, if I wanted.

While I know a number of people on this board use and like EM, I had an unpleasant experience with one of their representatives some time ago, and swore I would never deal with them after that.

Too bad. Looked like they had a decent platform.

Post #10, Feb 09, 2009 21:54:38 as a reply to chrisvl's post 6 hours earlier.

flipstyle72
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
2,318 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

+1 for smugmug. You can customize it a lot to how you wish it to look and who get's to view what.

Post #11, Feb 11, 2009 14:12:34

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
G&N and Photosharing Sites
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES