Thread started 05 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 11:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,786 posts
New York City
[MORE/SHARE]

One of my friends was at a press conference the other day, and noticed a still photographer from a major New York daily who was using a high end video camera instead. When he asked why, the guy said the paper was taking individual frames from the video to print and use in the paper, and was posting the video at the paper's site online. The frames were of high enough quality apparently to print at about 8 x 6 in monochrome.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Post #1, Feb 05, 2009 11:20:32

Jay
Ireland in Word and Imageexternal link Jay Ben Imagesexternal link5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 screw clamp | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02 head

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
saturnin
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2006
1,987 posts
vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

well u do kill two birds with one stone and i've seen video still sin papers before..they do look VIDEOISH and u can tell the difference. I can guarantee that that is a very rare thing so see.. most newsprints wil use proper photos...

Post #2, Feb 05, 2009 12:58:39

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.comexternal link samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.comexternal link - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

Edward ­ Moss
Joined Dec 2008
33 posts
England
[MORE/SHARE]

The stills will be fine for web use but what happens if a glossy wants to use one of the shots, doubt many agencies will want to miss out on a sale.
But...the technology will catch up and it won't be long.

Post #3, Feb 05, 2009 13:25:23 as a reply to saturnin's post 26 minutes earlier.

Birmingham photographer shooting commercial and editorial photographyexternal link

Dooms_day
Joined Jan 2009
509 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

if theyre using the 5Dmk2, no one would notice they'd be taking video instead of pics!

Post #4, Feb 05, 2009 15:12:12

Canon EOS-1D mk ii + 70-200 4.0 USM L + Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4 + Nifty 50
500pxexternal link - Google+external link

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2008
10,168 posts
South Korea / Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

It's true. I'm a reporter for a major daily and, as much as I love still cameras - even though I'm not a photog I have a dedicated 10D/Tamron 17-50 combo for work -, the photo editors are telling me to take stills with my video camera (Sony HDR-SR11).

It'll take nearly 8 MP shots while the film is rolling and sometimes they just take my screenshots (I do videography for our website) out of my movies and run it in the paper.

It's kind of sad, 'cuz I love still cameras, but it's definitely the way things are going.

Post #5, Feb 08, 2009 21:31:20

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
Joined Dec 2004
2,532 posts
Anywhere where ski World cup makes its stop
[MORE/SHARE]

There is trend in this way, but there's a whole bunch of other problems connected with this.... money issues for beginning. Until now, stills were for "free". This means we don't pay to be on some sport match. Producers of moving images (not just TV, but also web sites etc.) are paying rights to organizers. With cameras which include video capabilities, this things are going to change, and from this what I heard, there were first clashes already.
So yes, big agencies (Reuters, AFP, AP...) are pushing more and more toward video, but we will see what will be outcome on the end. And outcome won't have anything to do with technical capabilities of cameras. ;)

Post #6, Feb 18, 2009 01:35:49

PhotoSIexternal link | Latest sport photosexternal linkhttp://www.photo.siexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Screen grabs from video have motion blur so if you care about eliminating that, you have to use a still camera and a fast shutter speed.

Otherwise, it makes sense to use video and pull the best screen shot for low res work. Unless you don't have time to watch the entire video and get the best moment.

Post #7, Feb 18, 2009 01:46:29

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
No more still cameras for news?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES