Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 11:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Macro for 1D and 1.3x Crop? 60mm EF-S Baby!

drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 11:48 |  #1

So, I don't want a macro lens longer than 100mm effective focal length. Hence, I have the 60mm EF-S for my xxD camera. However, I wanted to try using the 60mm on the 1D... too bad this gets in the way of the mirror box:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Wait, what is that? Oh, ok:

Well, I just unscrewed the rear mount (carefully cause the ribbon that connects the rear metal contacts to the circuit board is short and taught) - similar to how we did it with the EF-S 10-22 . Popped off the rear baffle, and mounted it with no interference on my 1D. In fact, that rear baffle is almost useless because there's a nice sized gap between the rear lens element and baffle anyway. So dust and moisture enter very easily regardless.

Now I have this:

And that photo at the top of the removed rear baffle. Check the EXIF data ;) No vingetting.

I don't think I'll ever sell my 60mm macro now. YAY!

- my vimeo -external link

sponsored links
drPheta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 11:50 |  #2

Oh, I have no idea how this will work on full frame, cause I don't have access to my friend's 5D at this point.

ZeissFan
170 posts
Joined Feb 2006
West Michigan, USA
Feb 08, 2009 12:07 |  #3

Quite an interesting Post!~DrP.
I think you likely can determine if the lens 'physically' has any issues on the 5D or 1D bodies by testing how far the optics extend past the mount (at all focusing distances) in comparison to a Full Frame Lens.
I am fairly certain that it's NOT going to be an issue with a macro prime!

Definitely Post a test image or two from a 1.3x and a FF body when you get the chance! I suspect the image circle isn't gonna stretch to ff frame with a lot of success, but that central image circle definitely won't be worse!

Richard

drPheta wrote in post #7280867external link
Oh, I have no idea how this will work on full frame, cause I don't have access to my friend's 5D at this point.

1DmkII, Zeiss 50mm f1.8, Leica Summicron Fifty, & Elmarit Ninety, via Mount Adapters and Some Crappy Zooms!

drPheta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 15:39 |  #4

More taken from the 1D MKIII 60mm macro combo.

1/160, f11, Ring Flash focused into near 1:1 ratio. PP'd in ACR with standard settings.

100% crop of focus area

UPDATE:
A little research shows this lens doesn't work near infinity focus. Anything focusin from 1m and less will be clear. As you approach infinity, it will work fine but it's the focusing range near infinity that causes mirror slap.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 08, 2009 15:56 |  #5

Interesting. This is relevant to my interests, as I love my 60mm, but full frame cameras are becoming within my reach.

I've heard that extension tubes are able to be used to mount this on a full frame?

drPheta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 16:01 |  #6

Yeah, extension tubes work, too. I'm told the 12mm would work perfectly. However, this would shorten the focus distance, IIRC. So, 1:2 ratio and 1:3 (which is what I use mostly) will bring me in closer to my subject. And my subjects are people... don't think they'd be happy.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 08, 2009 16:08 |  #7

drPheta wrote in post #7282226external link
Yeah, extension tubes work, too. I'm told the 12mm would work perfectly. However, this would shorten the focus distance, IIRC. So, 1:2 ratio and 1:3 (which is what I use mostly) will bring me in closer to my subject. And my subjects are people... don't think they'd be happy.

Can it no longer focus to infinity you mean? or that the magnification changes so to fill the frame with, say, a head shot you need to be closer than you otherwise would without the tube? It has an effect on FOV? Sorry, I have little experience with extension tubes.

drPheta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 16:12 |  #8

With tubes, it will work from MFD to infinity no problem. But if I'm thinking correctly, the 1:1 focus distance with tubes will be shorter than the MFD w/o tubes. So, since I shoot 1:2 and 1:3 (which places me about 6 -10 inches from my subject), using tubes will force me to come closer at that magnification.

Without the tubes, taking off the rear baffle allows me to maintain that magnification and can stil keep about 6-10 inches from my subject. However, w/o the tubes, the mirror will strike rear element near infinity.

If you think you'll be using this lens for macro and portraits, extension tubes are a wise investment. If you're going to simply use the lens for macro shots, removing the rear baffle will work very well for you.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 08, 2009 16:19 |  #9

drPheta wrote in post #7282289external link
With tubes, it will work from MFD to infinity no problem. But if I'm thinking correctly, the 1:1 focus distance with tubes will be shorter than the MFD w/o tubes. So, since I shoot 1:2 and 1:3 (which places me about 6 -10 inches from my subject), using tubes will force me to come closer at that magnification.

Without the tubes, taking off the rear baffle allows me to maintain that magnification and can stil keep about 6-10 inches from my subject. However, w/o the tubes, the mirror will strike rear element near infinity.

If you think you'll be using this lens for macro and portraits, extension tubes are a wise investment. If you're going to simply use the lens for macro shots, removing the rear baffle will work very well for you.

Thanks for that info.

But if an extension tube just shortens the MFD, but retains the same magnification - what is the point o fusing one to begin with? (I mean in a normal setup). I thought the point was that it simply changed MFD, so you could achieve higher than 1:1.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Feb 08, 2009 16:27 |  #10

I use my EF-S 60mm with the 5D frequently. I just mount it on a EF 12 II tube but with the lens unmodified. You lose infinity focus and the distance scale isn't right with a tube. The image circle covers full frame just fine with a tube and there is no danger of a mirror strike since the lens is spaced off of the body so far.

With the 12mm tube, the magnification is 0.2 (1:5) when the ring is in the infinity position. At the 1:1 position, magnification is actually 1.28 and of course the focus distance is closer than at 1:1. However for the same actual magnification, the working distance doesn't change much with or without the tube, just the focus ring position is different.

The EF 25 II tube works fine too but the magnification range is 0.44 to 1.61 which is getting pretty high and very close. The nice thing about the 60 is that it is a lot smaller than the 100mm USM macro.

Photo Gear

drPheta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Massachusetts, USA
Feb 08, 2009 16:28 |  #11

That's what I'm not terribly certain of. Maybe it does increase magnification. If that's the case, then I may benefit from extension tubes. Someone else want to chime in? However, the Canon EF 12II tube is $90. Removing baffle cost me $0.

EDIT: Thanks macroimage. That clarifies things. I guess I was wrong about infinity focus using tubes.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 08, 2009 16:37 |  #12

Yah, thanks macroimage (apt title). This does clear things up. I might just go play by holding my lens 12mm from the mount to see.

sponsored links

1,672 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro for 1D and 1.3x Crop? 60mm EF-S Baby!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.