Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 16:49
Prev/next
Poll"Would you by a Canon DSLR that had a built in flash meter?"
Yes
36.1%
No
30.6%
I would not care either way
33.3%

36 voters, 36 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Would You Buy A Canon DSLR w/ Built In Flash Meter?

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Feb 11, 2009 16:49 |  #1

I was thinking about it, would anyone else like to have a built in flash meter that works with something other then the E-TTL flashes?

I mean, if I am out in the field doing a strobist kind of work. I usually use my friend's 758DR. But, what if I hit the AE/FE lock button on the grip and it would fire my strobes and use the meter to tell me what the exposure should be. I mean, using the partial/ spot meter in camera would be rather useful and faster. It also would be nice it if worked with the hotshoe/ PC connector since I use both

I think there should 2 options for this, and 3 for "professional" bodies.
1. Will use the meter needle to show you more or less aperture.
2. Automatically change aperture to what would make the correct exposure for the set ISO/ Shutter Speed.
3. ("pro") Use Auto adjust ISO to make current Aperture/shutter speed have a proper exposure.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oklahoma
Feb 11, 2009 16:55 |  #2

Isn't a light meter suppose to be where the subject is? As in it being on camera would defeat the purpose?

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Feb 11, 2009 17:00 |  #3

I only use my flash meter for incident readings so it would be silly to have it on the camera.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Hong Kong
Feb 11, 2009 17:04 |  #4

YES that would be awesome in studio and on location. Not the way you describe though, just like a built in sekonic. I don't think it'd be feasible though.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,185 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Feb 11, 2009 17:45 |  #5

The flash meter in your camera (trigger the flashes and look at the image / histogram) is as good as you are going to get with a reflective TTL meter.

What most people use for flash is an incident meter. I don't want one in the camera because:
1) It would be kind of big, and the dSLRs are big enough already
2) You would look like a dip holding your camera up next to the model's head and triggering the flash.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Montreal, Canada
Feb 11, 2009 19:19 |  #6

I'm waiting for an mp3 player to be built in.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008
in a movie studio, in full production.
Feb 11, 2009 19:21 |  #7
banned

bohdank wrote in post #7306786external link
I'm waiting for an mp3 player to be built in.

+1 for waiting for apple to implement an ipod into the 1d4.

I suck at Photoshop.

Simon ­ Turkin
543 posts
Joined Jan 2009
New York
Feb 11, 2009 19:22 |  #8

portable dvd play back capability

Gripped 50D - AE-1- Canon 70-300 is usm - Canon 28-135 is usm - Canon 15 fish eye - Canon niffty 50 f/1.8 - Canon 430 ex II - Manfrotto 680B Monopod - Sandisk extreme III 4 GB - and some odds and ends my flickr-
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/simonturkin/external link

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Feb 12, 2009 14:45 |  #9

I see that this is not something that anyone but me and 6 other people would like. I think I am a odd because I use both incident and reflective for metering flash. I will use reflected outside when I am moving around a lot, and use incident in the studio. It sometimes is just easier to have the 758 on spot, and have a spare cyber sync on it to measure the flash without getting into everyone's way. In the studio, where I am the only person shooting then I will use incident.
Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,529 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Feb 12, 2009 15:30 |  #10

Two things would be necessary for that to be both feasible and effective:

Manufacturers would have to understand that with a digital sensor, the important tone to measure is "the brightest highlight that must retain detail," and that tone should be placed at the top of the sensor's range, which calls for a different calibration than is current.

Users would have to understand the same thing, so they wouldn't go around trying to measure middle gray.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Feb 12, 2009 15:38 |  #11

The Fox wrote in post #7312365external link
...easier to have the 758 on spot...

OK, I'll bite, what is a 758?

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Feb 12, 2009 16:46 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #12

jr_senator wrote in post #7312688external link
OK, I'll bite, what is a 758?

Sekonic L-758DRexternal link

Nick

Bazz8
Joined Oct 2003
South Australia,Pt.Willunga
Feb 12, 2009 19:33 as a reply to The Fox's post |  #13

I voted no as a flash meter is designed to measure light falling on the subject an in camera flash meter is basically alreading in the camera as it reads the amount of light reaching the sencor through the lens,totally different.
in studio situations you meter the light falling on the subject wether from on side or both and then average that reading set the camera to those settings and take a test shot
how that would equate to a proper flash meter in camera is a interesting concept to ponder.

Gear List : SLR BODIES: Eos 5, Eos 3, D30 ( GIFT TO SON INLAW) 40D( SOLD) 1DMK3 ( Current Body)
LENSES : 28-105 USM ( WENT WITH D30) 50MM1.8 , 20-35MM F 2.8 L , 17-40MM F 4.0 L , 90MM MACRO F 2.8 TAMRON 75-300 F4-5.6 USM , 200MM MK11 2.8 L , 400mm 5.6L
TRYPOD: MANFROTTO 190 WITH MEDIUM FORMAT 3WAY HEAD, MANFROTTO MONOPOD LARGE SIZE.

sponsored links

1,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would You Buy A Canon DSLR w/ Built In Flash Meter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.