Thread started 12 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 13:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
Joined Jan 2008
7,691 posts
Louisville, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

I am talking about a small studio (10 x 16). I requested 18% gray, but our art director specified black.

What do you think?

Post #1, Feb 12, 2009 13:14:36

This space for rent.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
XterraJohn
Joined Aug 2008
513 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I went with medium-gray, but black is probably better. That way, you don't have to worry about light bouncing from unwanted places so much.

Post #2, Feb 12, 2009 14:10:10

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
Joined Jan 2008
7,691 posts
Louisville, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Good point. The room is being used for product photography, a product that features lots of detailed chrome. My thinking was, that by filling the family of angles with all that black, we are eating detail that we will have to light back, and adding that light means wrestling with specular highlights. I would rather fill the reflections with the medium gray and hold the detail, and then flag where necessary -- since its tabletop product, its fairly easy to do that.

Besides, I hate caves :)!

Post #3, Feb 12, 2009 14:14:52

This space for rent.

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
1,332 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The biggest complaint I've heard about an all black room is it can sometimes make it look too dark and dreary for your subjects.

But if you are doing product shots, I don't know...

-Mario

Post #4, Feb 12, 2009 14:14:57

Gear List

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,480 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you shoot people, black is depressing to your subjects (and you). If you shoot products, black permits better lighitng control in small spaces.

Post #5, Feb 12, 2009 14:15:46

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,650 posts
Raleigh, NC, USA!
[MORE/SHARE]

My fine art / editorial fashion home studio is about 18% gray with a light grey ceiling, but if I had to do it over again which I may be doing I'd paint the main wall I shoot against dark grey. I think it would be more versatile for coloring with gels giving me good saturation. It's too easy to blow out the color with medium grey walls. I'd leave the other walls medium grey so the room is not so dreary plus it allows me to shoot against them, use them as a projection screen, etc.

Post #6, Feb 12, 2009 15:57:02

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

A few studio's I work have either one gray wall & 3 black walls, or more light walls and black curtains...

Post #7, Feb 12, 2009 16:38:07

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

bullet33912
Joined Oct 2006
536 posts
Fort Myers, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

If you ever want to use gells, go with grey. It gells up very nicely.

Post #8, Feb 12, 2009 16:40:44

Canon 5D MK II Gripped and Canon 5D Classic Gripped, Canon nifty 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 70-200 f4L, Sigma 15-30 EX, 24-70 EX 2.8, Mettle 400W Studio Strobe with Beauty Dish X4
My Model Mayhemexternal link
My OMPexternal link

FlashZebra
This space available
Joined Mar 2006
4,426 posts
Northern Kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

Yikes, another 18% gray wall thread.

To serve up a old answer.

Black walls and ceiling for purists

White walls and ceiling for pragmatists.

Grey walls for those that cannot make up their mind and think they can have it both ways.

If you have ever worked in a studio (or any room) that is painted all black, you will quickly want to purchase several miners lights and holstered flashlights.

The previous sentence may give a clue to my personal preference.

Enjoy! Lon

Post #9, Feb 12, 2009 16:49:11

http://flashzebra.com/external link

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
3,938 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

FlashZebra wrote in post #7313148external link
Yikes, another 18% gray wall thread.

To serve up a old answer.

Black walls and ceiling for purists

White walls and ceiling for pragmatists.

Grey walls for those that cannot make up their mind and think they can have it both ways.

If you have ever worked in a studio (or any room) that is painted all black, you will quickly want to purchase several miners lights and holstered flashlights.

The previous sentence may give a clue to my personal preference.

Enjoy! Lon

That's great Lon...I would probably be one of those Grey individuals. "Can't we all just love each other?"

Post #10, Feb 12, 2009 16:54:20

Paul
Blogexternal link | Gearexternal link | Galleryexternal link
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

PCthug
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
1,265 posts
Durham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I used to have a cinema room, and painted all the walls and ceiling very dark blue.
It worked great as a cinema, but i also done my ironing in there too, and i couldnt see a thing, even in daylight with the lights on.

In hind site, i think paint it almost any colour that looks nice and bright (cream, magnolia etc), but have your studio at one end, covering the whole back wall with your background material, and the 2 joining walls with pull down roller blinds in black (or very dark colours). Do something similar with the ceiling too. That way, you can pull down the blinds to soak up light from bouncing around, or leave the blinds up to bounce light, or use the room as a room again.
Also, invest in a blackout blind for the window too.

Post #11, Feb 12, 2009 18:21:42

Equipment: Canon 5d mkIII, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 70-200L f2.8 mkII, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 430EX Flash.
www.durhamphotographic​s.co.ukexternal link

sponsored links
mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
Joined Jan 2008
7,691 posts
Louisville, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, it looks like its gonna work out this way. One wall black, the rest 18% grey. The biggest wall is black, so I guess we can call it a compromise! :)

Post #12, Feb 12, 2009 19:38:32

This space for rent.

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,650 posts
Raleigh, NC, USA!
[MORE/SHARE]

Another great thing about grey walls is that it is the best for blending in textures to make the wall a diffreent background. There are a lot of technical reasons for this and I'm not saying you can't do it with black or white walls, but it's not as versatile. Blending textures into a wall to change the background is much more realistic looking than background replacement to me, even with a green screen.

Post #13, Feb 12, 2009 21:20:26

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

FlashZebra
This space available
Joined Mar 2006
4,426 posts
Northern Kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

PCthug wrote in post #7313723external link
I used to have a cinema room, and painted all the walls and ceiling very dark blue.
It worked great as a cinema, but i also done my ironing in there too, and i couldnt see a thing, even in daylight with the lights on.

"If you have ever worked in a studio (or any room) that is painted all black, you will quickly want to purchase several miners lights and holstered flashlights."

When as a human being, all the light you have to function in the room is absolute direct light, you will not be a happy human.

Drop a paper clip in a room pained all black and the only way you find the paper clip is if you point a light directly at the paper clip. Ordinary function becomes very tedious.

Enjoy! Lon

Post #14, Feb 12, 2009 21:48:18

http://flashzebra.com/external link

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
5,254 posts
Astana, Kazakhstan
[MORE/SHARE]

i have medium gray walls and i use them as background.

Post #15, Feb 12, 2009 22:14:14

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
What color should you paint your studio walls
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES