Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 14 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 11:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Just received my 17-55!

CanonLaw
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 14, 2009 11:26 |  #1

I just got my 17-55 in the mail yesterday from Adorama. It was an awesome deal too. They had them refurbished for $769. You can't tell by looking at it that it is a refurb, and it super sharp. Also, it comes with a three month warranty from Adorama!

I was a little annoyed with Adorama though. They ship via UPS and I live in a locked building. Normally, when someone ships with UPS, I just call UPS and have them hold it for me, but Adorama has a policy that says they can't do that. The attempt three deliveries and then it gets sent back to them. I was pretty pissed about that, but by some dumb luck, the UPS guy was able to get in to my building, probably because someone was just leaving. Oh well, just wanted to share my experiece with Adorama with you.

sponsored links
mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 14, 2009 11:38 |  #2

You know, this reminds me. I sent my 17-55 off to Canon, and it definitely arrived, but I never got any reply from them. I wonder what's happened to mine?

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 14, 2009 11:40 |  #3

mrkgoo wrote in post #7324188external link
You know, this reminds me. I sent my 17-55 off to Canon, and it definitely arrived, but I never got any reply from them. I wonder what's happened to mine?

Well, if I got yours, i will take good care of it. Sounds like they might be paticipatin in some kind of a racket.

mantra_sone
45 posts
Joined May 2006
Feb 14, 2009 11:45 |  #4

Keep an eye out for the IS system going out, it happened to mine before. It'll vibrate violently when it does.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 14, 2009 11:46 |  #5

mantra_sone wrote in post #7324229external link
Keep an eye out for the IS system going out, it happened to mine before. It'll vibrate violently when it does.

So did you send it in to Canon? I am wondering if this happened with my copy and that is why it is refurbished. I am hoping maybe they fixed the problem when they serviced it, but who knows.

Also, can you still use the lens, and just turn off the IS? I know the IS should work, but if I am at an event and I need the lens to work and can live without the IS for the moment, can you still use it?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Feb 14, 2009 11:48 |  #6

mrkgoo wrote in post #7324188external link

Maybe this time they'll finally "lose it" and give you an actual new replacement. :lol: One can hope, no?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

mantra_sone
45 posts
Joined May 2006
Feb 14, 2009 11:49 |  #7

CanonLaw wrote in post #7324243external link
So did you send it in to Canon? I am wondering if this happened with my copy and that is why it is refurbished. I am hoping maybe they fixed the problem when they serviced it, but who knows.

Also, can you still use the lens, and just turn off the IS? I know the IS should work, but if I am at an event and I need the lens to work and can live without the IS for the moment, can you still use it?

I did send it in to Canon, luckily I still had the 1-year warranty left. In my experience I was able to use the lens without IS.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 14, 2009 12:24 |  #8

CanonLaw wrote in post #7324199external link
Well, if I got yours, i will take good care of it. Sounds like they might be paticipatin in some kind of a racket.

jwcdds wrote:
Maybe this time they'll finally "lose it" and give you an actual new replacement. One can hope, no?

...if only... :lol: I'm doubtful that they'll even repair it, but I'm hoping they do. My experience n the US so far is that everyone is super-helpful and courteous. Service appears to be great here. I guess there's also the state of the economy boosting things - when job security is minimal, people will become much better at their occupations and business'...

CanonLaw: Mine went in last time because the IS 'went out'. It starts out with the IS 'dropping' in the viewfinder - You halfpress to activate meter and IS - the view drops as the IS engages. This happened for a while, and then occasionally shudders will develop. It got worse with time until it started giving my body err99 messages. I had it sent in, and Canon "adjusted the IS collar". After a month, it started happening again.

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Seattle area
Feb 14, 2009 12:41 |  #9

My theory around buying a refurbished copy and saving $300 is that even if the IS goes out twice, and I have to pay to repair it, I still break even.

As opposed to buying new and paying if and when it dies after the warranty ends.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005
Lonestar State
Feb 14, 2009 14:04 |  #10

Just remember that all refurbished copies come with a 90 day warranty. Every refurbished item I've bought could have been mistaken for new. I would recommend that you not let these guys get into your head. Go out and shoot, and enjoy the lens. It really is a fantastic piece, considering the great focal range, the fast aperture, and IS.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Vancouver, British Columbia
Feb 14, 2009 14:24 |  #11

Good choice!

Eric
5D IV | 35L II | 200L IS | 85L II | 430EX | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 14, 2009 14:57 |  #12

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #7324869external link
Just remember that all refurbished copies come with a 90 day warranty. Every refurbished item I've bought could have been mistaken for new. I would recommend that you not let these guys get into your head. Go out and shoot, and enjoy the lens. It really is a fantastic piece, considering the great focal range, the fast aperture, and IS.

Thanks Big Blue Dodge! I can't tell that it is used at all. It looks and feels brand new. It takes sharp pictures too! I love the 2.8 and IS. I was going to get the 17-40L for cheaper, but it did not have IS.

zoom_zoom
878 posts
Joined Dec 2008
AB, Canada
Feb 14, 2009 15:30 |  #13

Sometimes going for a refurb model is better.... they have at least fixed anything that was wrong with the lens and probably put it through some tests. Should be as good as new.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 14, 2009 17:33 |  #14

zoom_zoom wrote in post #7325240external link
Sometimes going for a refurb model is better.... they have at least fixed anything that was wrong with the lens and probably put it through some tests. Should be as good as new.

Yeah, and the cheapest I could find it used online was like $900, and then you don't know the history and there is no warranty.

I am super stoked!

sponsored links

1,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just received my 17-55!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.