Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of February 2009 (Tue)   #1
FrostQ

Default Zoo = condensation

How do you guys deal with condensation when photographing in zoos? I went to the zoo this past weekend when the outdoor ambient temperature was around -5C. The lens would fog right up and beads of water left on the filter if I didn't wipe it down. The viewfinder would fog up too and it wasn't accessible to dry by hand...so it was really hard to get a good shot indoors...any tips?

Gear List
FrostQ is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of February 2009 (Wed)   #2
Jeff2909

Default Re: Zoo = condensation

When I go in or out in the winter, I have my camera in a large zipp lock freezer bag and it stays in there until it changes temp coming or going and any condensation forms on the out side of bag not your gear. It takes a few min, which give you time to look the place over for the best shot.

Equipment Canon 50DGrip:20DGrip: 300D: Tamron AF 11-18: 28-75 2.8/EFS 17-85mm IS: EF 35mm 2.0: EF 50mm 1.8II: EF 135mm 2.8 sf: EF 200mm 2.8L II /Sigma DG 150-500mm HSM: 105mm 2.8 DG Macro/Kenko PRO 300 1.4 TC:Kenko Tubes
Jeff2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2009 (Thu)   #3
sirockalot

Default Re: Zoo = condensation

thats a great idea about the ziplock bag thing. that should work excellent for when comming in from the cold, but it would do nothing for when you go out into the cold. theres no humidity in the air when its below freezing, so there is no moisture to form condensation. but when you come in from shooting outside in the winter, a ziplock bag till it warms up should do the trick. but i would guess that if you put the camera back in the bag and let it warm up in there would work just as well too....
sirockalot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member