Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of February 2009 (Sat)   #1
TheFloridaShooter

Default Canon 50D CF card question?????

Will the Canon 50D use the Scandisk Extreme IV card? Also, who makes the best USB card reader for the Extreme III and IV cards?

Thanks in advance
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of February 2009 (Sat)   #2
cptkoi

Default Re: Canon 50D CF card question?????

Hi

If you mean these LINK

Then yes I am using two 4GB ones currently.

I use their firewire and usb readers too.

H

Netball Images - http://www.netballimages.com
Everything Else - http://www.hdimages.net
cptkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2009 (Sat)   #3
mjmackinnon

I have used both a Lexar USMA 300x CF card, and a much cheeper Kingston Pro 133x CD card. I shoot in RAW, and I have yet to find that the Kingston has slowed me down in any shooting that I have done.

As far as a CF reader goes. I have a USB2.0 reader, and find that it works just fine for me. I don't know if the Firewire ones do run any faster. My reader cost a whole $16. It works all the time, and no need to replace something that just ain't broke.

Matt.

mjmackinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of February 2009 (Sun)   #4
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooterMIssouri View Post
Will the Canon 50D use the Scandisk Extreme IV card? Also, who makes the best USB card reader for the Extreme III and IV cards?

Thanks in advance

On my 50d it makes a massive differance compared with my Sandisk Extreme 3 although my new card is a Ducati edition Sandisk. The faster card clears a full buffer in under 5 seconds (RAW+L-JPG)
Urbex Blog http://l-glass.blogspot.com/
grimey121uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2009 (Sun)   #5
silvex
Cream of the Crop

I used the USB from sandisk and it is pretty fast. I also have their firewire800 (1394B version), but I installed 1394B PCI card in the PC. The firewire800 with the PCi card. Smokes the USB. I mainly use the USB when on the field and need to give jpegs to load them into the laptop.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.com

Last edited by silvex : 22nd of February 2009 (Sun) at 12:25.
silvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2009 (Sun)   #6
overclock

The firewire reigns supreme. But as for FW400 vs FW800 today's fastest UDMA cards don't even max out the FW400 speed so it doesn't matter. You must have a 6 pin FW port as the 4 pin ports do not provide power to the FW device.

If you have only USB try Lexar's UDMA USB reader. Perfect for laptops that only have USB or 4 pin FW.

The 50D will use the Extreme IV cards just fine since the camera is UDMA enabled and you'll enjoy the faster speeds when uploading to the computer.
overclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2009 (Mon)   #7
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey121uk View Post
On my 50d it makes a massive differance compared with my Sandisk Extreme 3 although my new card is a Ducati edition Sandisk. The faster card clears a full buffer in under 5 seconds (RAW+L-JPG)
Damn you! After reading this, and suffering from full-buffer syndrome while shooting Waxwings, I had to check out Rob Galbraith's CF database for the 50D. Wow! Them UDMA cards are at least twice as fast as the ones I'm currently using. So that's a big pile of cash disappeared from the bank account for a 16GB UDMA card and a UDMA reader.
hollis_f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2009 (Mon)   #8
gdl357

As far as i am concerned, if you own a 50D you should not be shooting anything other than UDMA cards as the 50D has UDMA technology.

I myself shoot Lexar Pro UDMA CF cards. They are lightning fast.

Gear List
gdl357 is offline   Reply With Quote