Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 22 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 13:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cyber Sync with 430EX and 580EX?

CanonLaw
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 22, 2009 13:37 |  #1

I have two flashes, a 580EX and 430EX. I would like to start using them both off camera with some Cyber Syncs, but they have different power outputs. If I do this, should I just set the 580 down a stop or two to bring it to the level of the 430? My main goal is to light group shots using the two flashes off camera.

I am pretty new to this, so I was just wondering about how to effectively use the two lights I already have.

I have watched the Strobist DVD, but he never addressed using two light of different power together like this.

sponsored links
40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 22, 2009 14:22 |  #2

When using radio-triggers like CSs your speedlites will be set to manual flash output. I suggest you experiment to see what manual flash output you like. I cannot imagine how a "rule of thumb" would work as a rule of thumb. Different situations will call for different settings.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 22, 2009 19:46 |  #3

With group shots you should have the light above the camera to avoid causing shadows on people in the 2nd and further back rows. Because of that one main light on full and one light a stop or two below as an accent is good. I photographed a wedding group inside this weekend, even with a very low white ceiling I bounced two off camera speedlites from the ceiling as it worked a LOT better than umbrellas.

Probably best tell us what kind of groups, where, light positioning, ambient light, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 22, 2009 19:53 |  #4

tim wrote in post #7383301external link
With group shots you should have the light above the camera to avoid causing shadows on people in the 2nd and further back rows. Because of that one main light on full and one light a stop or two below as an accent is good. I photographed a wedding group inside this weekend, even with a very low white ceiling I bounced two off camera speedlites from the ceiling as it worked a LOT better than umbrellas.

Probably best tell us what kind of groups, where, light positioning, ambient light, etc.

Outdoor, indoor, etc. Until this point, I would just use the 580 on a bracket, but I was thinking I could put them up on some light stands at about 6 feet so they are above the camera, then have them to the left and right of me, so they cover the whole group. I would also like to use this setup outside in the shade (indoors would just be bounced off the ceiling if possible).

As far as groups, I am wanting to do this to improve my group shots at weddings.

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 22, 2009 20:16 |  #5

If you try to light a large group with flashes camera left and camera right you WILL get shadows on peoples faces in the 2nd and further back rows. Ugly, ugly shadows, some peoples faces in pretty dark shade. I don't think it's possible to do properly like that without having massively tall light stands, and I think still one light above the camera and one as accent is a better plan. I'd really, really want to experiment with that before I decided to do it. One of the guys who shoot big groups in churches would be able to tell you more about it, in 5 years i've only had to shoot 2-3 big groups indoors.

Ambient light is easier by far, and more difficult to stuff up.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 22, 2009 20:23 |  #6

tim wrote in post #7383511external link
If you try to light a large group with flashes camera left and camera right you WILL get shadows on peoples faces in the 2nd and further back rows. Ugly, ugly shadows, some peoples faces in pretty dark shade. I don't think it's possible to do properly like that without having massively tall light stands, and I think still one light above the camera and one as accent is a better plan. I'd really, really want to experiment with that before I decided to do it. One of the guys who shoot big groups in churches would be able to tell you more about it, in 5 years i've only had to shoot 2-3 big groups indoors.

Ambient light is easier by far, and more difficult to stuff up.

So when you do groups, you just use ambient? No flash lighting at all?

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 22, 2009 20:27 |  #7

CanonLaw wrote in post #7383562external link
So when you do groups, you just use ambient? No flash lighting at all?

Pretty much. If i'm shooting from way above them like a balcony i'll use flash. Generally I just use ambient, not even any fill as it only reaches the front row not the other rows. You just have to be a bit careful how you position the group, and make sure they're not looking into the sun.

I very rarely have to do this inside, so i'm not the person to ask about it. Like I said bounced flash works if you have a white ceiling, because that puts the effective light source approximately equidistant from each person in the group.

sponsored links

2,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cyber Sync with 430EX and 580EX?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.