Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 22 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 15:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: What more do I need to make 5DII videos work???

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004
US
Feb 22, 2009 15:45 |  #1

Hey everyone...
I have been having a hard time with my 1080P videos!

System:
Intel Core 2 Duo
4gb ram
XP Pro
ATI 512mb HD card (4800 series that recognizes 1080P)
Lots of fast hard drives
System is optimized for graphics and is not used for anything else
(all drivers up to date as far as I know)

I run CS4 suite, I have Sony Vegas, ans well as Adobe Premiere Elements.

Basically the standard files from the 5DII work fine. The 1080P files either skip, ALOT, or do not play correctly. However they play fine in camera, and play fine if I send them out to a TV.

I updated to the latest version of Quicktime, and now quick time crashes every time I try to play the videos. I fully uninstalled and reinstalled quicktime twice and still nothing.

VLC won't even play the 5DII videos at all. Same issue inside any of the video editing programs.

What could possibly be preventing this from running??? Even short clips won't play. In the mean time I work with massive 1gb panoramic files and edit and render effects, etc... on them very quickly! Thanks!

Canon 5DmkII / Canon 5D / LifePixel IR 350D / L-glass
Brightscreen Screens & Mags / ReallyRightStuff gear / Singh-Ray filters
Read My Blog!!external link -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007
AUSTRALIA
Feb 23, 2009 05:54 |  #2

There are many things that could be the problem. I would recommend a re-install of Windows as the cheapest and easiest option. Spyware and general pc crap can cause a pc to slow down enough to stop 1080P movies from working properly.

Your next option is to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system. This will enhance your video "bottleneck" and will also utilise your 4gb Ram. I would also make your working directory in the C drive; and then transfer the files off that to the other drives once they are done.

Hope that helps a bit.

Gear List

Blue ­ S2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004
US
Feb 23, 2009 07:28 |  #3

I have no spyware and all that stuff as this computer is strictly graphics. It doesn't "browse the web." I don't run general PC programs or have extras running. Only graphics.

My C: drive is operating system only.
Programs run from a separate dedicated drive.
All files are stored on separate internal drives.
All drives are 7200rpm SATA.

Everything is kept clean, fully defraged every couple days.

I will be building a 64 bit machine either late this year or next. Right now I have the 3G command line enabled so I can use 3gb. If I go 64 I will be using a lot more than 4gb!

I also have a dedicated machine for audio production, and "two general use." None of these machines will play back a file. I figured the normal ones because I have all my internet protection stuff on them, etc... But a dedicated machine?!

Could this really be a windows issue?

Read My Blog!!external link -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photographyexternal link

BrantG
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
Western PA
Feb 23, 2009 13:18 |  #4

From what I've been reading, these MOV files are extremely processor intensive due to the high bandwidth (around 40mb/sec) that the files are encoded at. I had a dual core laptop with dedicated video card and I had choppy playback of the videos.

I recently built a new machine using the i7 processor, 12GB of memory and a nVidia 260 graphics card. The videos now play extremely smooth. However when trying to edit them in Adobe Premier CS4, the videos start to play back choppy.

I've seen it thrown around that Adobe has some issues with their products, Quicktime isn't designed to run as well on a PC..etc. I'm not sure who is right. While I believe h264 was the best codec to use, I'm wondering if they went overboard on using 40mb/s. Most Blu-rays don't even come close to that.

Brant Gajda on Flickr (external link)

twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007
AUSTRALIA
Feb 23, 2009 22:56 |  #5

It's unfortunate that the speed of video technology is moving faster than home PC's.

You need something crazy to be able to edit a movie of large size.

Gear List

Blue ­ S2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004
US
Feb 23, 2009 23:17 |  #6

That's amazing. I have been around audio for years. Now we are streaming huge multisample libraries through RAM and eat through hard drives for lunch! Mandatory defrags daily! Multitrack audio at insane bit rates...constant data write, playback, erase, edit, etc... all happening at once!

I am amazed that I can do all that stuff on machines I thought were under-equipped, yet still gave professional results. No problem.

This video stuff is insane! I can't justify building a system for video since I don't really have use for it at the moment. We'll see...

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Norfolk,VA
Feb 24, 2009 06:29 |  #7

the 5D clips play fine on my machine using Zoom Player. I currently have a GTX 260 SSC in my machine. Sending it in to get a GTX 285.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXTexternal link

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

Jesse ­ Webb
904 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bellingham, WA
Feb 25, 2009 23:56 as a reply to Zepher's post |  #8

buy a macbook pro ;) sorry - but it works fine on my machine.

jessewebbphotography.c​omexternal link
Leica M9 | CV 35/1.2 II | 90 Summicron

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005
A recording studio somewhere in the UK or USA
Feb 27, 2009 04:13 |  #9

Jesse Webb wrote in post #7408695external link
buy a macbook pro ;) sorry - but it works fine on my machine.

Same on my iMac.

I guess it may be something simple such as you're on NTSC drop frame or PAL or something that is causing a mismatch. Could be that you have audio at 48k etc etc....

Final Cut 6 recognizes a new format being plonked on the time line and asks if you'd like to have it set itself for that. I don't know if Vegas makes it that simple?

Are you streaming the video from a USB drive? That will cause issues if it's not reading fast enough. In my old Windows video editing days the swapfile used to be an issue. Is video writing/reading from the system disk? Etc etc etc...

Even Mac's aren't perfect but I'm finding very few hassles compared to the Hell I had to put up with Bill Gates' system.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProductionexternal link

BrantG
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
Western PA
Feb 27, 2009 07:38 |  #10

echo wrote in post #7416983external link
Same on my iMac.

I guess it may be something simple such as you're on NTSC drop frame or PAL or something that is causing a mismatch. Could be that you have audio at 48k etc etc....

Final Cut 6 recognizes a new format being plonked on the time line and asks if you'd like to have it set itself for that. I don't know if Vegas makes it that simple?

Are you streaming the video from a USB drive? That will cause issues if it's not reading fast enough. In my old Windows video editing days the swapfile used to be an issue. Is video writing/reading from the system disk? Etc etc etc...

Even Mac's aren't perfect but I'm finding very few hassles compared to the Hell I had to put up with Bill Gates' system.

Don't blame Bill Gates. He isn't the one responsible. PC are much more powerful in terms of hardware than Macs. I believe the responsibility falls on the programs not utilizing hardware or problems with the h264 codec used and not being correctly understood on the PC. Which would mean a software problem(not windows) in both senses.

Brant Gajda on Flickr (external link)

osv
153 posts
Joined Mar 2007
So Cal
Mar 01, 2009 12:30 |  #11

part of the problem is working with a mac format(.mov) on a windows pc... apple did a less than perfect job of cross-compatibility, google up "quicktime gamma shift" for more info.

the smartest thing that pc users can do is to bail out on the mac format b.s., and transcode the 5d footage to a lossless intermediate codec that can be played back easily... cineform neo scene is only $129, you can take a look at it for free with the trial evaluation... the "crushed blacks" that he is referring to is the qt gamma shift garbage, it was incredibly stupid of canon to record the video in the .mov format:
===============
We have uploaded a new release of Neo Scene today that handles the camera's dynamic range in a much or convenient way, avoiding those crush blacks and clipped highlights. We have extended the trial another 7-days for those who have tried the tool before.

Neo Scene
http://cineform.blogsp​ot.com ...-ii-support-with-neo.htmlexternal link

Canon Vixia HF11 Reviewexternal link

mellowd
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Aug 2007
South African in London, UK
Mar 01, 2009 12:33 |  #12

Don't be so quick to reinstall Windows!

The solution is right here:

http://www.snappertalk​.com ...-video-playback-with-vlc/external link

Blog Main Site Photographs Multimedia Video AP Contact
January 29th, 2009
5D MkII Video playback with VLC
Posted by Ben in Imaging, Multimedia, Software

The Canon EOS 5D MkII can shoot video in either 640×480 (VGA) or 1920×1080 (1080P, Full HD) resolution, both encoded with H.264 video compression. Playing video files in the former is easy, but the sheer amount of data that needs to be processed with 1920×1080 resolution can tax even quite modern computers.
VLC has been my video player of choice for many years as it is free, open-source, and will play virtually everything you can throw at it - but disappointingly I couldn’t get it to play 5D MkII videos without major stuttering or no playback at all.

Thanks to this post on the Photography Within blog, I’ve now found a trick that enables VLC to play these files very smoothly - you just have to change one setting:

Go to Tools > Preferences
In the lower left of the box click the checkbox “Show settings - All”
Then go to Input & Codecs > Other Codecs > FFmpeg and look for the option called “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding”
Change it from “none” to “all”
Restart VLC

I’ve tried it on Windows and it works great. I would imagine it would also work for Mac in the same way.

5D : 17-40L : 85 f1.8 : 135L f2.0L - Full Gear List Here!
flickrexternal link

Blue ­ S2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004
US
Mar 01, 2009 13:27 |  #13

BINGO!

Instant FIX! Now my videos don't even take more than a second to load up and play perfectly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Before this, the videos would take forever to load as well. I figured it was due to the 300+ mb size. Now with the VLC option set, videos open and play instantly!

Now its time to get an editor reinstalled on here and start making some music videos!

mellowd wrote in post #7431268external link
Don't be so quick to reinstall Windows!

The solution is right here:

http://www.snappertalk​.com ...-video-playback-with-vlc/external link

mellowd
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Aug 2007
South African in London, UK
Mar 01, 2009 13:50 |  #14

Blue S2 wrote in post #7431556external link
BINGO!

Instant FIX! Now my videos don't even take more than a second to load up and play perfectly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Before this, the videos would take forever to load as well. I figured it was due to the 300+ mb size. Now with the VLC option set, videos open and play instantly!

Now its time to get an editor reinstalled on here and start making some music videos!

Glad it worked. This should really be a sticky somewhere...

5D : 17-40L : 85 f1.8 : 135L f2.0L - Full Gear List Here!
flickrexternal link

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Apex, NC
Mar 01, 2009 18:50 |  #15

OMG, fixed it for me. It works fine on my main computer, but everything else didn't work good, now they all do. Thanks!

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

sponsored links

61,923 views & 0 likes for this thread
What more do I need to make 5DII videos work???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.