Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of February 2009 (Mon)   #1
gpswiz

Default Canon error 5 message

My EOS Rebel has this problem lately, tt works fine without the flash; however, whenever the flash is popped up, it incurs and "error 5" message. I turn the camera off, gently flip the pop up flash light up and down, and turn on the camera again and it works OK.

Is this a well known error and can it be fixed?
gpswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2009 (Mon)   #2
The Fox

Default Re: Canon error 5 message

A 5 error is the camera thinks the flash is not raising. Look near the hinge for a small button and see if it is up or down. This lets the camera know is the flash is up or down and if the button is stuck down you will hear the motor fire a few times and it will then error.
Nick

7D Gripped | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |
The Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2009 (Mon)   #3
gpswiz

Thanks. How do I fix this?
gpswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2009 (Tue)   #4
jacuff
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpswiz View Post
Thanks. How do I fix this?
Get an Speedlite like the 430EXII or 580EXII. The flash unit may make your camera bigger, but the results will be much better once you learn flash techniques.

Unfortunately, this is one of the problems that starts to appear on cameras with pop-up flashes. You can hit the button and pull it up at the same time. Only other option is to send it to Canon to get it repaired.