Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 23 Feb 2009 (Monday) 20:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do I have to buy a CyberSync receiver???

CanonLaw
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 20:43 |  #1

So, I am looking into doing some portraits, just to play around with off camera lighting, umbrellas, etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it and not end up using them, so I pose the following question.

The CyberSync transmitter has an output on it for a mini-phono jack or something like that right? Can I just get a mini-jack splitter and then two 25' extension cords to hook up to my 580ex and 430ex (with the shoe mount adapter).

The difference is $110 vs $230, so I was thinking I could save the money, play around with it corded for a while, see how I like it, then spring for the two receivers.

Of course, I have no idea if this would work. Please advise.

Oh, and I know my 30D has a PC jack on it, but I hate using it. In my limited experience, it has been a very weak connection, even after you tweak it, it still comes loose.

Thanks!

sponsored links
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007
South Dakota
Feb 23, 2009 20:53 |  #2

Do you mean you want to use both flashes off of one receiver? If that is your question, the answer is yes. With a Y splitter you can connect two flashes to the on receiver. The flashes need to have a fairly similar trigger voltage though, or one of the flashes could be damaged. The 580 and 430 have a very similar trigger voltage, so you would be fine.

If you are talking about not even having a receiver (as your question seems to be worded), then no. You must have a transmitter and a receiver.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007
South Dakota
Feb 23, 2009 20:55 |  #3

Also, be sure to get mono cords and splitters, not stereo.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 20:59 |  #4

DDCSD wrote in post #7392014external link
Do you mean you want to use both flashes off of one receiver? If that is your question, the answer is yes. With a Y splitter you can connect two flashes to the on receiver. The flashes need to have a fairly similar trigger voltage though, or one of the flashes could be damaged. The 580 and 430 have a very similar trigger voltage, so you would be fine.

If you are talking about not even having a receiver (as your question seems to be worded), then no. You must have a transmitter and a receiver.

Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing. I knew you could get a transmitter and receiver, and then run two flashes off one receiver, but I thought the CST transmitter had an output so I could use two long mono cords to the flashes to try it before I buy a receiver, but it sounds like I need to buy a transmitter and receiver. If that is the case, then I might as well buy two receivers, because the difference between that and one receiver and a bunch of cords is only like $40.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007
South Dakota
Feb 23, 2009 21:12 |  #5

That is actually an input on the CST, not an output.

I'm confused. Were you wanting to buy just a single CST, and use the CST mounted on the camera to connect the cables to?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,547 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Feb 23, 2009 21:19 |  #6

What output on CST? I don't see one on my CST.

Here is link to AB site. I still see no output on the Tx.

http://www.alienbees.c​om/cybersync.html#cstexternal link

Any why would you buy a Tx only and then run Y cable to 2 flash. Don't get what you trying to proof or do.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

opus13
450 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Longmont, Colorado
Feb 23, 2009 21:41 |  #7

yep, a sender needs a receiver. the jack on the transmitter is a input.

if you have 2 flashes you can get 1 receiver and 1 optical slaveexternal link

mah stuffexternal link

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 21:43 |  #8

bobbyz wrote in post #7392207external link
What output on CST? I don't see one on my CST.

Here is link to AB site. I still see no output on the Tx.

http://www.alienbees.c​om/cybersync.html#cstexternal link

Any why would you buy a Tx only and then run Y cable to 2 flash. Don't get what you trying to proof or do.

I must have mistaken the input on there for an output. Basically, I want to go wireless I think, and have a transmitter and receiver. But, I was wanting to use the Transmitter as an expensive hotshoe to mono plug adapter, try it wired up and then get the receivers down the line if I really like doing this stuff.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 21:44 |  #9

opus13 wrote in post #7392393external link

I thought about the optical slave, but if I use this where other people are, then it will get triggered by other flashes, although it would be a cheap way to start out. I may have to consider it!

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 21:50 |  #10

opus13 wrote in post #7392393external link

Just out of curiosity, what is the range on the optical slaves when used indoors?

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 23, 2009 21:55 |  #11

Ok, i remembered one of the reasons I did not want to get optical slaves. I have a 580ex and 430ex, so I can already wirelessly fire them both, but the 580 has to be more or less on the camera (i could get an ettl cord, but then I would have to hold it). I wanted to get both flashes off camera.

opus13
450 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Longmont, Colorado
Feb 24, 2009 01:02 |  #12

I've never tried more than ~16 feet, but it worked just fine

mah stuffexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Kalama, WA USA
Feb 24, 2009 02:45 |  #13

Just a bit of confusion I think. The newer Cybersync transmitter does have an input jack, not an output. You will need either one transmitter and one receiver or 2 receivers. Since receivers are more expensive than transmitters that wouldn't make any sense to save money.

So unless you run cables you are stuck with only one off-camera flash. You could cable one flash to the camera via PC cable and fire the second flash with an optical trigger.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,547 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Feb 24, 2009 08:40 |  #14

Thanks Dave.

But I am still confused as to what OP wants to do. If he wants to fire 2 off camera flashes then he should get 1 tx and 2 rx. If it is too much money then get ebay triggers. What is the point of buying 1 tx or 1 rx and running wires to the flash if you want to go wireless? Why not run sync cords to begin with. To me it seems like he is trying to see for himself if the cybersync would work for him or not.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

tagvestibule
253 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Feb 24, 2009 09:38 |  #15

DDCSD wrote in post #7392029external link
Also, be sure to get mono cords and splitters, not stereo.

Is this because it won't work, or because it's potentially harmful in some way. I'm asking because I am currently using 1 cybersync receiver to fire a 430ex and 580exII with a stereo headphone splitter I had laying around. I understand the cybersyncs use mono cables (i.e., 1 black ring), but my stereo splitter still works perfectly. I will, however, pick up a mono splitter if I may be damaging something.

jsarnerphoto.comexternal link 5D III/1D IV |300 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-105 f/4L | 85 1.8 | 135 2.0L | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tokina 16-28 | Zeiss Sonnar 85 2.8 | Zeiss Planar 50 1,7 | FOR SALE: 100-400 | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | 7D Body | 5D MK II Body| EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | Sigma 10-20

sponsored links

1,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have to buy a CyberSync receiver???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.