Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 28 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 13:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you have a refund clause in your contract?

CanonLaw
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Feb 28, 2009 13:18 |  #1

I have a wedding coming up on March 7th....or should I say had??? I called the chapel to see when I could come take a walk-through to get some ideas. Well, the lady at the chapel called me and said "Did they not call you and tell you the wedding is off?"

This is the first time this has happened to me. The already paid the deposit, but they actually paid the full amount up front. I am not going to go on the word of the chapel lady, so I called the bride-to-maybe-not-be and left her a voice mail to remind her I wanted to come for the rehearsal, and for her to call me back when she could.

In my contract it says that the deposit is non-refundable, even if the wedding is off, but I don't have anything about whether or not I should refund them the rest of the money. I guess I will have to wait and see. If they don't contact me by the wedding date, then I will assume I need to be there, and if they don't show up I keep the money.

Do any of you have in your contract that if the wedding is canceled a week or so before, they get a refund, less the deposit?

In my case, we are only talking about a small sum, $400 for shots before the ceremony.

sponsored links
sacral
633 posts
Joined May 2008
Wilmington, NC
Feb 28, 2009 13:28 |  #2

Here's what my refund clause says...may still need some work though:

"In the event of date/contract/wedding cancellation or postponement, or failure of payment in a timely manner, Khoi Le of KDL Photography reserves the right to deny refund of the retainer fee for time spent in preparations, purchases, travel, and other expenses directly related to the wedding described in this contract. Under no circumstances does Khoi Le or affiliated photographers* hold the right to continue services without proper payment before the scheduled photography/wedding date. The Bride and Groom shall be responsible for payment for any material charges incurred up to the time of cancellation."

Reserves the right. Up to my discretion for the most part...

5D classic | 5DmkII | Lenses | Flashes | Blood/sweat/tears
Positive Feedback: #1 |#2 |#3

JasonBr
244 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Mar 05, 2009 23:16 |  #3

Tomorrow is the 7th, let us know what happens!

(XSI, EOS 650) (18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 70-200 F/4 L, 50 F/1.8 II, Sigma 28-105 F/2.8-4, Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 ) (Speedlite 430EX II)
Jason Brady Photography - Portrait and Event Photography - Bel Air, MDexternal link

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Mar 06, 2009 00:00 |  #4

JasonBr wrote in post #7464974external link
Tomorrow is the 7th, let us know what happens!

I just got an email and call from the former groom-to-be and it is off for sure. I don't specifically have a clause that says I keep the money if they cancel 3 days before the wedding (i will add that to my contract). But he said look, "I know this is a pain in the ass and if it is too late for a refund (less the deposit) I understand."
I think I will refund him half of the total. I did have other things i did not schedule this weekend because of the wedding, so I think that is fair.

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006
San Diego
Mar 06, 2009 03:42 |  #5

Very fair. Good on you.

twitterexternal link // facebookexternal link
Websiteexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photographer blogexternal link

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009
NE Ohio, USA
Mar 06, 2009 06:09 as a reply to bnlearle's post |  #6

The former groom got out cheap no matter your outcome!

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Australia
Mar 06, 2009 06:27 |  #7

A fair result for everyone concerned.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008
NJ
Mar 06, 2009 06:56 |  #8

I haven't had complete cancellations, but I did just recently have a postponement.

My deposits, which I deliberately have set at very modest levels are not refundable. The contract says it explicitely, and I will state it as well. That said, I will hold their price for one year from the initial wedding date. If they get married and I'm available on the new date, the deposit can be applied to photography services for the new date. If not, the deposit is not refundable.

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Mason ­ Galindo
199 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Mar 06, 2009 08:18 |  #9

I'd say give it all back to them. What labor have you performed to justify you keeping any of it? Honestly, did you pass up on another opportunity because you had this couple locked in for a particular date?

Edit: I just read your whole post. Woops! That seems more fair knowing you passed on something else.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Maryland
Mar 06, 2009 08:35 |  #10

While I am not a lawyer, I got this advice from one..... Change the word in your contract from "Deposit" to "Retainer". Deposit, even if preceded by the "non-refundable", you can still be made to refunded. Something in the legal ramifications of the word. However, "retainer" is at looked as a service and not refundable. Basically they are paying you to hold a day open VS pre paying a portion of services to be rendered at a later time. Slight difference I know. But one that can save you a headache later.

And if lawyers use the word retainer to hold your place in line....Its good enough for me.

That said I would return the money minus the deposit amount. Unless I could fill the day with other work.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

fayebernoulli
26 posts
Joined Mar 2009
philadelphia, pa
Mar 06, 2009 21:56 |  #11

Mark1 wrote in post #7466581external link
While I am not a lawyer, I got this advice from one..... Change the word in your contract from "Deposit" to "Retainer". Deposit, even if preceded by the "non-refundable", you can still be made to refunded. Something in the legal ramifications of the word. However, "retainer" is at looked as a service and not refundable. Basically they are paying you to hold a day open VS pre paying a portion of services to be rendered at a later time. Slight difference I know. But one that can save you a headache later.

And if lawyers use the word retainer to hold your place in line....Its good enough for me.

thanks so much for the tip! i just went through our contract and changed it. :razz:

faye bernoulli photography
http://www.fayebernoul​li.comexternal link
Canon 7D | Canon Rebel XTi | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 70-200 f2.8
L | Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Canon 430EX II Speedlite
Next up: another 7D body, Canon 50mm f1.2L or Canon 24-70mm f2.8
L

ejicon
Goldmember
1,916 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Hollywood, California
Mar 08, 2009 01:27 |  #12

CanonLaw wrote in post #7465201external link
I just got an email and call from the former groom-to-be and it is off for sure. I don't specifically have a clause that says I keep the money if they cancel 3 days before the wedding (i will add that to my contract). But he said look, "I know this is a pain in the ass and if it is too late for a refund (less the deposit) I understand."
I think I will refund him half of the total. I did have other things i did not schedule this weekend because of the wedding, so I think that is fair.

You're a good person. I'm sure something serious must have happened for a cancellation occurring days before the wedding.:oops:

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

sacral
633 posts
Joined May 2008
Wilmington, NC
Mar 08, 2009 11:02 |  #13

ejicon wrote in post #7478251external link
You're a good person. I'm sure something serious must have happened for a cancellation occurring days before the wedding.:oops:

Ugh - hopefully it wasn't something too terrible. :(

5D classic | 5DmkII | Lenses | Flashes | Blood/sweat/tears
Positive Feedback: #1 |#2 |#3

fmulder21
128 posts
Joined May 2008
Houston
Mar 08, 2009 11:30 as a reply to sacral's post |  #14

Ouch, I would've given them the full amount back minus the deposit.

CanonLaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Tacoma
Mar 08, 2009 11:34 |  #15

Well, I think what happened was, they were going to get married. She didn't have a job, so he paid for everything. She went around meeting with me, the church, the caterer, etc, and writing checks for deposits, etc. Then he dumped her, she moved out, and now he has go to back and get all his money back. If it were her money, and she got dumped, I would probably give her the full refund back, but I don't know about him.

sponsored links

5,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you have a refund clause in your contract?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.