LIST NEARBY THREADS

Skychurch
Joined Aug 2006
69 posts
Germantown, Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

Tripod with a center column

Greetings,

I have been debating over a Gitzo GT-2351 or the GT-3530LS. I finally decided on the GT2531 for a few reasons:

1) It's 3 pounds
2) My largest lens is a 100-400mm so it should be sufficient for my current needs.

I bought the GT-2531 today and when I got it home, I realized that is too short for me. I am 6'2" and need about 4 more inches.

Here's my dilemma ... should I keep the GT-2531 and use the "Rapid Column" to add the 4" I need or just get the GT-3530LS and get that 4" built into the tripod plus a more sturdy tripod?

My original hesitation to getting the GT-3530LS is that it is $100 more than the GT-2531 and a pound heavier.

I guess my main question is does using the rapid column diminish the stability of the tripod and add a concern of more vibration?

Thanks,
Jim

Post #1, Mar 01, 2009 19:59:56

Canon 40D+BG-E2N|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 24-105mm|EF 100-400mm|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|430EX|Gitzo 3541XLS, Markins M20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
jhom
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,320 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

According to Gitzo's recommendations, a 3 series is the rated tripod for focal lengths of 400 and greater. If I were planning on using the long end of your largest lens frequently, then I would get the 3 series. For $100 now, you will be getting a more sturdy legset. In my opinion you can't have a too sturdy a tripod. However, the compromise is weight. Will one pound make a difference as to whether you will use the tripod or not?

Post #2, Mar 01, 2009 20:24:14

Jim

My Gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo tripod with a rapid column
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES