Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of March 2009 (Sun)   #1
Skychurch

Default Gitzo tripod with a rapid column

Tripod with a center column

Greetings,

I have been debating over a Gitzo GT-2351 or the GT-3530LS. I finally decided on the GT2531 for a few reasons:

1) It's 3 pounds
2) My largest lens is a 100-400mm so it should be sufficient for my current needs.

I bought the GT-2531 today and when I got it home, I realized that is too short for me. I am 6'2" and need about 4 more inches.

Here's my dilemma ... should I keep the GT-2531 and use the "Rapid Column" to add the 4" I need or just get the GT-3530LS and get that 4" built into the tripod plus a more sturdy tripod?

My original hesitation to getting the GT-3530LS is that it is $100 more than the GT-2531 and a pound heavier.

I guess my main question is does using the rapid column diminish the stability of the tripod and add a concern of more vibration?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 1st of March 2009 (Sun)   #2
jhom

Default Re: Gitzo tripod with a rapid column

According to Gitzo's recommendations, a 3 series is the rated tripod for focal lengths of 400 and greater. If I were planning on using the long end of your largest lens frequently, then I would get the 3 series. For $100 now, you will be getting a more sturdy legset. In my opinion you can't have a too sturdy a tripod. However, the compromise is weight. Will one pound make a difference as to whether you will use the tripod or not?

My Gear
jhom is offline   Reply With Quote