I think I found a problem with my workflow

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 04 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 20:05   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Well I recently started adding in the use of Photoshop to add Unsharp Mask to all my photos (or the ones I think need sharpening)

At first things were good, now it seems like I have a small small problem, it seems like when i then convert the files to JPG (Using identical settings) any of the ones i touched up with USM in photoshop end up a bit..darker...I'm not sure if its unacceptable or not

Heres 3 examples

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/IMG_6670-Edit.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/IMG_6660-Edit.jpg

Versus this one i did not apply USM to

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/IMG_6665.jpg

Yes they're all a bit darker to begin with intentionally (I intentionally underexposed them, for the watch ones to replicate the product photography look in some magazines, for the kitty to make it feel "devious" or "evil")

Ok no im not being crazy, the JPGs are definately a lot darker on anything i touched in photoshop...I seem to remember have a similar problem whenever i wanted a more underexposed look...

Ah heres one as it looks in lightroom i got by taking a screenshot..

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/lightroomproblemscreen2.jpg

So what the heck is going on with my jpg export? Although that last one there doesnt look right either..

Experimenting, it seems its underexposing my exports by 1 stop...Weird...

Post #1, Mar 04, 2009 20:05:06

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 5D Mark III, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Deviantartexternal link
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't see a problem, or you've not described it well (or maybe i'm just tired). Do you have a calibrated monitor? Can you see the brightness shift if you open both images in photoshop?

Post #2, Mar 04, 2009 21:20:54

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #7456954external link
I don't see a problem, or you've not described it well (or maybe i'm just tired). Do you have a calibrated monitor? Can you see the brightness shift if you open both images in photoshop?

The problem shouldnt have anythign to do with calibration..i dont think

The problem is that images look different in everything i open, and are unacceptably dark in Firefox/IE on Devart and such, they're fine in Photoshop and Lightroom however

Unless that IS a calibration problem (or perhaps if it looks fine to you, then maybe its my monitor)

Heres the first picture edited in lightroom to be a full stop brighter and then exported as a jpg to "emulate" how it looks in lightroom on my screen

http://kenjis9965.devi​antart.com/art/Devious​-Neko-114908252external link

Thats how it looks in lightroom on my screen...

Post #3, Mar 04, 2009 21:50:07

Deviantartexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I still don't understand your problem. Is it that images look fine in photoshop and on your PC, but look dark through a web browser on the same machine?

Post #4, Mar 04, 2009 22:11:48

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #7457297external link
I still don't understand your problem. Is it that images look fine in photoshop and on your PC, but look dark through a web browser on the same machine?

They look fine in photoshop and lightroom

Anything else they're a lot darker

This includes windows picture and fax viewer, IE, Firefox, windows explorer itself and etc all on the same computer, same monitor and everything....

Post #5, Mar 04, 2009 22:21:40

Deviantartexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

That image is hard to diagnose a problem with, since it's way overexposed in some places and underexposed in other places. Post a normally exposed image, processed so it looks good in Photoshop on your machine.

Also make sure proofing is turned off in photoshop. Control-Y toggles it I think, it's on one of the menus.

Post #6, Mar 04, 2009 22:30:06

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Heres one thats perfect using this new workflow of mine

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/IMG_4084-Edit-1.jpg

I think its only on images that i WANT to be a bit darker, for some reason the jpeg export in lightroom seems to make it even darker...Maybe its the ProPhoto colorspace that Photoshop and Lightroom use instead of sRGB or AdobeRGB, so when its converted it doesnt have the same depth..it did it even before i added the USM to some of my images now that I think about it

To clarify, my workflow is the following:

Import RAW to Lightroom using ACR > Weed out images I dont want > Choose the ones that need USM > Righclick and choose "Edit in Photoshop CS3" > Apply USM to the images that need it> Save > Adjust the image for exposure/contrast/etc until its perfect or how I want it > Export to JPG in 2 batches, first batch full res 100% JPEG, second batch 60% JPEG

Post #7, Mar 04, 2009 22:36:11

Deviantartexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Windows Picture Viewer, Internet Exploder, FireFox before version 3, and Windows Exploder itself are not color-managed applications.

If you don't already have it, get the latest release of FireFox 3 (and check the tutes on how to enabled color-management) to see colors as they should be on the internet.

Use DPP as your image browser to see colors as they should be on your computer.

Also, if things are looking too dark within color managed browsers after you applied USM, you're applying USM with too large of a radius.

Post #8, Mar 04, 2009 22:37:34

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

KenjiS wrote in post #7457437external link
Heres one thats perfect using this new workflow of mine

This looks fine on my PC, firefox in color managed browser.

Post #9, Mar 04, 2009 22:44:02

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #7457486external link
This looks fine on my PC, firefox in color managed browser.

I am running Firefox 3 and i just double checked it is color managed..and that one looked fine across everything...I think i jsut made the first one too darn dark...

...And for some reason now its fixed after restarting Firefox..at least it matches photoshop

Weird..

Ah well problem solved

Post #10, Mar 04, 2009 23:06:20

Deviantartexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
607 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I found a problem with my workflow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES