Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of March 2009 (Thu)   #1
hsnw

Default Remote operation of A570, S2IS, Sx10, etc?

Since Canon did not include a provision for remote shutter release, etc. on these cameras except by PC link, does anyone have a solution?

Just something to allow shutter release via USB would be an OK start.

Better would be a PDA capable of running the Canon software so I don't have to lug a laptop into the field (holding the PC in 2 hands and operating the sw controls w 2 hands exceeds our pitiful capabilities); but even a mechanical solution would do.

The application is wildlife and landscape photography with long lenses and little light.

Any help?

You may respond here or to lin@hsnw.com

TIA & Happy Trails...

Lin
hsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of March 2009 (Thu)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Remote operation of A570, S2IS, Sx10, etc?

CHDK adds provisions for a remote shutter trigger via a customized USB cable for PowerShot models (which it supports) that are capable of remote capture.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #3
hsnw

Thanks, Jon. Yeah, we have run across that and will prob wind up with it, but wanted to poll folks to see if any other ways had presented themselves, particularly ones that used the Canon control software.

BTW, do you (or anyone else) know whether the SX1 or SX10 are compatible Powershots?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I don't. Never tried it while I had the SX10. The SX1 doesn't say, but it will (does) include a wireless remote in the box so you wouldn't even need to go the USB release route with it.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #5
hsnw

I have identified a possible solution - a dell mini 9 is fairly small, runs real widows (XP + maybe Vista) and accommodates other needs on itself (storage, naming, manipulation) without moving images to the main machine or picture server.

Still looking for smaller hardware solutions with minimal but adequate capabilities (remote operation, actually remote shutter release will do). A PDA that can run the Canon sw and has a USB output might be the very thing.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming, and I will post results of my investigation.

$300 for a cable release seems high, but the advantages of many other functions on the mini 9 may offset that (like having a travel machine that is actually portable).

Last edited by hsnw : 6th of March 2009 (Fri) at 20:13.