Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #1
jerokaz

Default Sports Photogs, What do you charge, Semi Pro FB

I've tried searching and maybe I didn't search the correct key words. I have a opportunity shoot semi pro football. I have a couple of questions:

What do I charge? Do I charge by the hour or by the game and what is the going price? I've started my little side deal by shooting Pop Warner Football and one of the coaches turned me on to this, he plays for the team.

If they are paying me, do I still have rights to sell the photos, do I give them digital files and can they use them how ever they want?

Is there some kind of a contract that I should have them sign and does anyone have some kind of canned contract that I can download.

Thanks for your help, I'm am a rookie.

Regards,

Ron
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #2
dreamcatcher23

Default Re: Sports Photogs, What do you charge, Semi Pro FB

What kind of shots, action shots? Posed shots? Who are they for? If for the team, charge per game. If for sale to parents / players, charge per image.

Rights remain with whoever it says in the contract. Get a contract written, even if you just google for one and print it off. Personally If they're hiring me to do the game I'd try and retain copyright but give them a licence to use the images however we agree.

It's difficult to suggest a price without knowing the answers to the above - work them out and then people will be able to answer you better
dreamcatcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #3
jerokaz

Hi Dreamcatcher23,

I believe the photos that I will be taking are for action shots during the game. It may turn into Team and Individual but currently I believe that we are just talking action shots during the game. I was asked by the team president, so my assumption is for the team. I'm new to this, is there verbage in the contract for me keep the copyright or is it assumed if it just gives licencing. So if I google "Photo Contract" I should be able to find something? I'll try that this morning. Thanks so much for helping out.

Regards,

Ron
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2009 (Fri)   #4
hypertech

Look for the words "work for hire". Unless it is a work for hire, you retain the copyright which means you can sell them (unless you otherwise agree in the contract not to). The default is that it is not. Even if they pay all the fees for the time, etc to create the work - unless you are an employee or contractually agree it is a work for hire, it is not and the copyright remains with you.

If it is a work for hire, then they own the photos and you can't even use them for your portfolio unless they give you permission.
hypertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2009 (Sun)   #5
jerokaz

Does anyone have any links to contracts or licensing agreements. Also still looking for advise on what to charge. Thanks in advance,

Ron