Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family
Thread started 06 Mar 2009 (Friday) 04:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to photograph Large families

Subfightersandman
Joined Nov 2008
Birmingham Al
Mar 06, 2009 04:06 |  #1

My family will be getting together later this month and I have been asked to attempt to do some family pictures, I am more into sports and still life and have not had to much family photography experience.

My question is what are some tips in photographing large families(2 older parents and 4 kids ranging from me age 22 to the oldest 41. 2 of the kids have kids of there own so 9 people total). I don't have large studio equipment so these will most likely be taken outdoors with natural light, however i do have a vivitar flash with a wireless trigger to maybe be used as a fill light.

Thanks in advance for any advice

40D, 70D
Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 VC
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Godox 860C x2
www.roshanakhan.com (external link)

David ­ Ransley
Joined Aug 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Mar 06, 2009 04:25 |  #2

Subfightersandman wrote in post #7465861external link
My family will be getting together later this month and I have been asked to attempt to do some family pictures, I am more into sports and still life and have not had to much family photography experience.

My question is what are some tips in photographing large families(2 older parents and 4 kids ranging from me age 22 to the oldest 41. 2 of the kids have kids of there own so 9 people total). I don't have large studio equipment so these will most likely be taken outdoors with natural light, however i do have a vivitar flash with a wireless trigger to maybe be used as a fill light.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Some may complain - there is a Discuss Kids & Family section, which is used to answer these questions. You are now posting in the photo sharing section :-)

Tips:

1. Outside
2. Try and find something with a slope to prevent people hiding behind each other.
3. Select the time of day to prevent flat lighting
4. Use shade to your advantage

DRH

jenirose3
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Mar 06, 2009 10:46 |  #3

I just recently shot this one. Sun was about 11am behind me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeni
Canon 5D|20D|L Glass|Primes|ABs|580ex​II|pocketwizards
Looking for: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
http://www.lolaandme.c​omexternal link, http://www.provocateur​photography.comexternal link, http://www.modelmayhem​.com/provocateurphotog​raphyexternal link

Subfightersandman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2008
Birmingham Al
Mar 06, 2009 15:32 |  #4

thanks for the replies, and nice shot jenirose3

40D, 70D
Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 VC
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Godox 860C x2
www.roshanakhan.com (external link)

1,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to photograph Large families
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.