Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Glamour & Nude Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of March 2009 (Mon)   #1
rushnp774

Question Kansas City Fashion/Glamour Shooting Locations Wanted

I just moved back to Kansas City (Lee's Summit) from Cinci (where I had access to a studio and some cool places to shoot at), and am looking for suggestions of places to shoot outdoor (primarily) shots of models. Here's what I'm thinking so far:
  • Some of the parks near me would be fine for a lot, but they tend to be a too "public" for some risquey shots (and would get boring quickly).
  • Downtown Lee's Summit has some cool old buildings, train tracks, and lots of other neat features that could keep me occupied, but again is a bit too public for some shots.
  • Powell Gardens/Unity Village-type places - Gorgeous flowers, especially in the next month or so, and lots of wide open spaces to get shots.
  • The Plaza - Water fountains, gorgeously lit at night, and some of KC's most interesting architecture.
As you can see, I've only thought primarily of outdoor, pretty, "public" places, and would like some suggestions for some more secluded and/or gritty/varied places (warehouses, caves, industrial settings, junkyards, etc).

Please visit my Model Mayhem page to get an idea of some of the shoots I've done. Any suggestions you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th of March 2009 (Tue)   #2
sumadaz

Default Re: Kansas City Fashion/Glamour Shooting Locations Wanted

West bottoms maybe? Just watch out for the bums.

I would love some other ideas as well.

SMUGMUG: www.zachsumada.smugmug.com
sumadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of March 2009 (Tue)   #3
dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember

I don't know much about the outdoor locations there. However, if you're looking for a rental studio, check out Studio 132. I was there for a seminar the other weekend, great location...and they have a cyc wall.

I believe the rental is $75 for 4hrs or $150 for all day. They have great equipment there for use, wi-fi, etc - all included.

I should get a cut of their income.

Seriously though, it's a great location to shoot. Good luck!
dsmPhotoCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of March 2009 (Thu)   #4
4honor

I think the most popular urban/grunge area for risque shoots is West Bottoms. I shot there last weekend. However, a lot of the graffiti have been sand blasted, and there were a few creeps around, staring at your sexy model. Another thing about West Bottoms is that all the models have most likely already shot there many times, because it's a kinda cliche place to shoot, unless you have never been there before.

I don't know any other places to shoot what you want, but I am also looking for the same thing. I think you will need to have access to some private properties if you want shots like that. I have shot once in a warehouse, but that's only because the model's dad owned a storage there.

Btw, I am in Blue Springs, we should meet up in person sometime!
Old 19th of March 2009 (Thu)   #5
rushnp774

Quote:
Originally Posted by iClickPhotography View Post
I don't know much about the outdoor locations there. However, if you're looking for a rental studio, check out Studio 132. I was there for a seminar the other weekend, great location...and they have a cyc wall.

I believe the rental is $75 for 4hrs or $150 for all day. They have great equipment there for use, wi-fi, etc - all included.

I should get a cut of their income.

Seriously though, it's a great location to shoot. Good luck!
Thanks dude, I'll look into it. It may have to satisfy me until I get a studio set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4honor View Post
I think the most popular urban/grunge area for risque shoots is West Bottoms. I shot there last weekend. However, a lot of the graffiti have been sand blasted, and there were a few creeps around, staring at your sexy model. Another thing about West Bottoms is that all the models have most likely already shot there many times, because it's a kinda cliche place to shoot, unless you have never been there before.

I don't know any other places to shoot what you want, but I am also looking for the same thing. I think you will need to have access to some private properties if you want shots like that. I have shot once in a warehouse, but that's only because the model's dad owned a storage there.

Btw, I am in Blue Springs, we should meet up in person sometime!
I know what you mean. Most everyone recommends the west bottoms too. Must be a good place, but I'll keep looking.

I'd love to get together sometime. Send me a friend request on MM and we'll chat from there!
Old 19th of March 2009 (Thu)   #6
dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushnp774 View Post
Thanks dude, I'll look into it. It may have to satisfy me until I get a studio set up.
Trust me, you'll be impressed. And it's a neat location if you wanted to pop outside for some fashion stuff, as the outside of the building is old and the area has some older structures as well.
dsmPhotoCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2009 (Fri)   #7
4honor

Interesting, there is another place called Digital Labrador in downtown KC that used to rent studios, but I just called and they don't anymore. They moved to another location, so not enough space. I might have to check out Studio 132 myself then...