Kansas City Fashion/Glamour Shooting Locations Wanted

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 16 Mar 2009 (Monday) 17:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

rushnp774
Joined Oct 2008
142 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I just moved back to Kansas City (Lee's Summit) from Cinci (where I had access to a studio and some cool places to shoot at), and am looking for suggestions of places to shoot outdoor (primarily) shots of models. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

• Some of the parks near me would be fine for a lot, but they tend to be a too "public" for some risquey shots (and would get boring quickly).
  • Downtown Lee's Summit has some cool old buildings, train tracks, and lots of other neat features that could keep me occupied, but again is a bit too public for some shots.
  • Powell Gardens/Unity Village-type places - Gorgeous flowers, especially in the next month or so, and lots of wide open spaces to get shots.
  • The Plaza - Water fountains, gorgeously lit at night, and some of KC's most interesting architecture.
As you can see, I've only thought primarily of outdoor, pretty, "public" places, and would like some suggestions for some more secluded and/or gritty/varied places (warehouses, caves, industrial settings, junkyards, etc).

Please visit my Model Mayhemexternal link page to get an idea of some of the shoots I've done. Any suggestions you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Post #1, Mar 16, 2009 17:49:40

Metavo Photoexternal link - Photoshop, Lightoom, and Photoshop Elements Tutorials

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sumadaz
Joined Dec 2007
152 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

West bottoms maybe? Just watch out for the bums.

I would love some other ideas as well.

Post #2, Mar 17, 2009 02:34:38

Canon XTi - Opteka grip - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 430ex II
SMUGMUG: www.zachsumada.smugmug​.comexternal link

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,339 posts
Des Moines, IA
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know much about the outdoor locations there. However, if you're looking for a rental studio, check out Studio 132. I was there for a seminar the other weekend, great location...and they have a cyc wall. :)

I believe the rental is $75 for 4hrs or $150 for all day. They have great equipment there for use, wi-fi, etc - all included.

I should get a cut of their income. :)

Seriously though, it's a great location to shoot. Good luck!

Post #3, Mar 17, 2009 20:07:28

www.dsmphotocompany.co​mexternal link · dsmPC Facebookexternal link · www.iclickphotography.​comexternal link · iClick Facebookexternal link
SuperShootsexternal link · ModelMayhemexternal link · Flickrexternal link · ∞500pxexternal link

4honor
Joined Mar 2009
27 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the most popular urban/grunge area for risque shoots is West Bottoms. I shot there last weekend. However, a lot of the graffiti have been sand blasted, and there were a few creeps around, staring at your sexy model. Another thing about West Bottoms is that all the models have most likely already shot there many times, because it's a kinda cliche place to shoot, unless you have never been there before.

I don't know any other places to shoot what you want, but I am also looking for the same thing. I think you will need to have access to some private properties if you want shots like that. I have shot once in a warehouse, but that's only because the model's dad owned a storage there.

Btw, I am in Blue Springs, we should meet up in person sometime!

Post #4, Mar 19, 2009 10:47:33

Gripped 5D Mark II - Gripped XSi - EF-S 18-55mm IS - 50/1.8 II - 16-35L - 24-70L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 100L IS Macro - 135L - 580Ex II

rushnp774
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2008
142 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

iClickPhotography wrote in post #7544492external link
I don't know much about the outdoor locations there. However, if you're looking for a rental studio, check out Studio 132. I was there for a seminar the other weekend, great location...and they have a cyc wall. :)

I believe the rental is $75 for 4hrs or $150 for all day. They have great equipment there for use, wi-fi, etc - all included.

I should get a cut of their income. :)

Seriously though, it's a great location to shoot. Good luck!

Thanks dude, I'll look into it. It may have to satisfy me until I get a studio set up.

4honor wrote in post #7555611external link
I think the most popular urban/grunge area for risque shoots is West Bottoms. I shot there last weekend. However, a lot of the graffiti have been sand blasted, and there were a few creeps around, staring at your sexy model. Another thing about West Bottoms is that all the models have most likely already shot there many times, because it's a kinda cliche place to shoot, unless you have never been there before.

I don't know any other places to shoot what you want, but I am also looking for the same thing. I think you will need to have access to some private properties if you want shots like that. I have shot once in a warehouse, but that's only because the model's dad owned a storage there.

Btw, I am in Blue Springs, we should meet up in person sometime!

I know what you mean. Most everyone recommends the west bottoms too. Must be a good place, but I'll keep looking.

I'd love to get together sometime. Send me a friend request on MM and we'll chat from there!

Post #5, Mar 19, 2009 16:59:01

Metavo Photoexternal link - Photoshop, Lightoom, and Photoshop Elements Tutorials

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
2,339 posts
Des Moines, IA
[MORE/SHARE]

rushnp774 wrote in post #7557724external link
Thanks dude, I'll look into it. It may have to satisfy me until I get a studio set up.

Trust me, you'll be impressed. And it's a neat location if you wanted to pop outside for some fashion stuff, as the outside of the building is old and the area has some older structures as well.

Post #6, Mar 19, 2009 17:00:45

www.dsmphotocompany.co​mexternal link · dsmPC Facebookexternal link · www.iclickphotography.​comexternal link · iClick Facebookexternal link
SuperShootsexternal link · ModelMayhemexternal link · Flickrexternal link · ∞500pxexternal link

4honor
Joined Mar 2009
27 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Interesting, there is another place called Digital Labrador in downtown KC that used to rent studios, but I just called and they don't anymore. They moved to another location, so not enough space. I might have to check out Studio 132 myself then...

Post #7, Mar 20, 2009 10:48:00

Gripped 5D Mark II - Gripped XSi - EF-S 18-55mm IS - 50/1.8 II - 16-35L - 24-70L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 100L IS Macro - 135L - 580Ex II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,196 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kansas City Fashion/Glamour Shooting Locations Wanted
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES