What kind of model release do you use?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 25 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 11:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Ledrak
Joined May 2007
263 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was wondering what kind of model release most people were using here; the contract style agreements with formal sections/statutes or the release/waiver statement type that you see on most generic forms? I've been using the release/waiver statement style, but I'm thinking of switching over to the contract/agreement style as I feel it might be more legally sound. Just wanted to see how many people were using these.

Post #1, Mar 25, 2009 11:49:04

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sspellman
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,644 posts
Detroit, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Nobody here is going to be able to provide you any useful legal advice on documents we can't read. If you want qualified legal opinions-you need a real lawyer.

Post #2, Mar 25, 2009 12:19:29

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Patrick
Joined Jun 2008
596 posts
WV
[MORE/SHARE]

I use a simple form that basically states I own the photos and can do whatever I want, within the law, with them and they understand and agree to that.

A legally convoluted document is not really necessary. When I bought my home, from the former landlord, our contract was written on a sheet of notebook paper and stated I was buying the house from him for this much and that was satisfactory for the bank.

Post #3, Mar 25, 2009 12:20:06

Bodies, Lenses, Lights, Stands, Transmitters, Receivers, Tripods, Meters, etc...

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
263 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

sspellman wrote in post #7595896external link
Nobody here is going to be able to provide you any useful legal advice on documents we can't read. If you want qualified legal opinions-you need a real lawyer.

I'm not looking for qualified legal opinions... I just want to know what kind of releases people are using.

Post #4, Mar 25, 2009 12:40:33

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
263 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Patrick wrote in post #7595901external link
A legally convoluted document is not really necessary. When I bought my home, from the former landlord, our contract was written on a sheet of notebook paper and stated I was buying the house from him for this much and that was satisfactory for the bank.

Yeah, I think you're probably right... the simpler the better. I just get caught up trying to make mine complex. I keep thinking the more elaborate/complex the better. I guess I gotta learn to let that idea go.

Post #5, Mar 25, 2009 12:47:55

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tommyqh
Joined Nov 2008
367 posts
San Francisco, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Patrick wrote in post #7595901external link
I use a simple form that basically states I own the photos and can do whatever I want, within the law, with them and they understand and agree to that.

i made my own, basically says exactly this (more detailed obviously). don't need anything too formal. make sure you have a section for parent/guardian if your model is under age.

Post #6, Mar 25, 2009 17:17:17

http://www.jatstudios.​com/external link

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2008
9,334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

sspellman wrote in post #7595896external link

lol shut up, it's a model release not a mortgage.

Post #7, Mar 25, 2009 17:42:15

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,693 posts
Cedar Key Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I goggled Model Release and copied a few different sections from multiple ones and added some content that fit me specifically.

Like the others have said, it's just something stating that you own the rights and can do with them what you wish

Post #8, Mar 26, 2009 16:13:18 as a reply to Karl Johnston's post 22 hours earlier.

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​comexternal link
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.comexternal link
500pxexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
681 views & 0 likes for this thread
What kind of model release do you use?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES