Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Mar 2009 (Thursday) 08:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Should I get 5DII or keep my 1DsII?

yuribox
257 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Mar 26, 2009 08:02 |  #1

I am a 1Ds Mark II user. Should I sell the 1DsII and buy 5D Mark II?
Spec on 5DII seem to be superior than 1DsII but is it worth to change? Has anyone moved from 1DsII to 5DII?
Any suggestion will be appreciated. ^^

1Ds IR, 5DIII, 1DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, TS-E24, 40, 50, 85, 100, MP-E65

sponsored links
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,670 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Mar 26, 2009 11:26 |  #2

Yes, it is worth, i don't have 5D MarkII but i have 1Ds MarkIII, and 1Ds MarkIII significantly is better than 1Ds MarkII, and many stated that 5D MarkII can be equal or better than 1Ds MarkIII in IQ.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

mspringfield
Joined Jun 2005
Atlanta, GA
Mar 26, 2009 13:36 |  #3

I would say keep the 1-series. I have a 1Ds MkII and I would have to say that the image quality is right in there with my 1DMkIII. One thing to remember even if the 5D2 has slightly better IQ than the 1Ds2 it is still a prosumer camera body. It does not have the build quality, weather sealing, etc that your 1DsII has. Also the 1DsII will have a faster more accurate AF than the 5D2. Better IQ on OOF shots does you no good.

Michael Springfield - Chattanooga, TN
Canon 1DsMkIII, Canon 1DsMkII, Canon 1DMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 28-70mm 2.8L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon 100mm F/2, Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, Canon 135mm F/2L, Canon 200mm F/1.8L, Canon 300mm F/4L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005
San Francisco, CA
Mar 26, 2009 13:38 |  #4

I had a 5D2.
I would keep your 1DS2.

flickrexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Mar 26, 2009 13:42 |  #5

Well, if I had the 1DsMKII, I'd keep it.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Mar 26, 2009 13:47 |  #6

I have both and I'm not seeing any big difference in IQ. High ISO is better on the 5D2 but that isn't real important to me, and I seriously doubt I would ever try the video. I'm still trying different things with the 5D2 to decide whether I'll keep it long term, or not. My 1Ds2 isn't going anywhere until the 1Ds3 comes way down in price, and then I'll jump over to one of them.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Mar 26, 2009 13:50 as a reply to cicopo's post |  #7

Depends on your needs really. The 5D mark II has the best image quality and better low light performance. Otherwise, the 1Ds Mark II is better IMO. The old menu system can be kind of frustrating from what I hear, but I wouldn't mind getting a chance to find out. :)

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2007
Hong Kong
Mar 26, 2009 13:52 |  #8

AdamLewis wrote in post #7603890external link
I had a 5D2.
I would keep your 1DS2.

Adam, why did you end up ditching the 5D2? And what did you ditch it for?

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Mar 26, 2009 22:59 as a reply to Perry Ge's post |  #9

Do you need high ISO on a regular basis?

Its certainly not a switch I would make, but my uses may be different than yours.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/external link

silvex
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Southern California, USA
Mar 26, 2009 23:36 |  #10

mspringfield wrote in post #7603864external link
I would say keep the 1-series. I have a 1Ds MkII and I would have to say that the image quality is right in there with my 1DMkIII. One thing to remember even if the 5D2 has slightly better IQ than the 1Ds2 it is still a prosumer camera body. It does not have the build quality, weather sealing, etc that your 1DsII has. Also the 1DsII will have a faster more accurate AF than the 5D2. Better IQ on OOF shots does you no good.

100% agree...look at the whole system. Not just IQ.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Stafford, VA, USA
Mar 27, 2009 00:02 as a reply to silvex's post |  #11

there really is nothing like shooting a 1D series but shooting with a 1D series model. with high ISO performance aside (if that is not a determining factor for you), the 1D is ergonomically sound. while the 1Ds II is a bit on the heavy side in respect to the newer batteries used in the newer models such as the 1Ds III and the 1D III, there is a certain "peace at mind" that comes with owning a model from the 1D series (outside the 1D III AiSERVO issues which still plague some users) that really is serene.

personally, i do not fancy the skimp VF coverage of the 5D series and would absolutely adore having a 1Ds of any Mark with that being a significant determining factor based on my personal preferences.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

Rebel450D_Addict
Goldmember
1,097 posts
Joined Jul 2008
San Diego, CA
Mar 27, 2009 01:58 |  #12
banned

I would sell just because it has alot of great new features and it's a great alternative to a newer FF... But then again, do you need the AF,FPS,build, and weather sealing? I don't , because I shoot mainly portraits in a controlled environment.

-=Armada=-
Flickr Crewexternal link
My Flickrexternal link
My Twitterexternal link

chris ­ y.
40 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Westwood/Los Angeles
Mar 27, 2009 02:00 as a reply to Rebel450D_Addict's post |  #13

Yep Id stick with the 1series as well.

6D / 24-70 f2.8 II / 17-40 f4 / 50 f.1.2 / 135 f2

Luvntravln
328 posts
Joined Feb 2008
All Over The World; Base = San Diego, CA
Mar 27, 2009 04:01 |  #14

mspringfield wrote in post #7603864external link

There are two aspects to this quote:

1. prosumer camera body
2. faster more accurate AF

Frankly, at least with this group, isn't point one irrelevant? Just think about this thread and all of the threads pertaining to should I go from a 40 to 50D; should I go from 50D to 5D2; should I have both the 50D and the 5D2 (that's my question); and should I go from the 5D2 to the 1 series.

Hey guys, hardly anyone is keeping a camera long enough - unless you intend to have a museum piece - to worry about the extra build quality. Is anyone really going to wear out a 5D2 before they replace it with a 5D3, 4 et cetera? I don't think so!

I think the real issue to consider is no.2: faster more accurate AF.

Those who understand that nuance - please teach us!

Why does the 1 series with the DIGIC III have a faster AF than the 50D with the DIGIC IV? What other questions should we be asking about faster more accurate AF?

Thanks,

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Stafford, VA, USA
Mar 27, 2009 04:26 |  #15

Luvntravln wrote in post #7608405external link
There are two aspects to this quote:

1. prosumer camera body
2. faster more accurate AF

Frankly, at least with this group, isn't point one irrelevant? Just think about this thread and all of the threads pertaining to should I go from a 40 to 50D; should I go from 50D to 5D2; should I have both the 50D and the 5D2 (that's my question); and should I go from the 5D2 to the 1 series.

Hey guys, hardly anyone is keeping a camera long enough - unless you intend to have a museum piece - to worry about the extra build quality. Is anyone really going to wear out a 5D2 before they replace it with a 5D3, 4 et cetera? I don't think so!

I think the real issue to consider is no.2: faster more accurate AF.

Those who understand that nuance - please teach us!

Why does the 1 series with the DIGIC III have a faster AF than the 50D with the DIGIC IV? What other questions should we be asking about faster more accurate AF?

Thanks,

for those who go on safaris, live in Dubai or often shoot where there increment weather, build quality is real consideration.

also, the newest models of the 1D line have dual DIGIC III processors, not just one processor.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

sponsored links

2,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I get 5DII or keep my 1DsII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.