Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Glamour & Nude Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of March 2009 (Thu)   #1
AMH25

Default Lighting Suggestions

Hi everyone,

I am hosting a boudoir photography marathon in a couple of months and I am in the process of getting all my gear together and sorting out what's what and I am in serious need of help with what type of lighting I should get.

It is at a local hotel with a minimal amount of natural light. I have an on camera flash with a Gary Fong lightsphere and a reflector but I would like to purchase a simple and AFFORDABLE lighting kit. Any suggestions?

www.amh-photo.com
AMH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of March 2009 (Thu)   #2
notmydog

Default Re: Lighting Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMH25 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am hosting a boudoir photography marathon in a couple of months and I am in the process of getting all my gear together and sorting out what's what and I am in serious need of help with what type of lighting I should get.

It is at a local hotel with a minimal amount of natural light. I have an on camera flash with a Gary Fong lightsphere and a reflector but I would like to purchase a simple and AFFORDABLE lighting kit. Any suggestions?
You may want to think about renting equipment for the day. If you only do this every once in a while, it may make sense. If you're "close" to TO you can look at Headshots, or Vistek. He're the rental page from Headshots: http://www.headshotsrentals.com/rentals/value_kits.html

The benefit is that you would get the use of better equipment than you could likely afford to buy. The downside is that you're renting...

If you're intent on buying check out craigslist. They seem to have a never-ending supply of gear for sale, from low-end and up.

Good luck with your shoot.

Cheers.
notmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of March 2009 (Thu)   #3
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

I'd suggest renting too, if you can't afford to buy it outright now. They should run a few hundred for the weekend.

If you can afford to buy; I'd suggest the Genesis 200 kit, or the Elinchrom Dlite2 kit. Both can use the same modifiers- like softboxes, snoots, reflectors, etc. The Genesis is less than the Dlite kit, but a worthy entry level kit.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2009 (Sat)   #4
kenwood33
Goldmember

I agree with above. With vistek their weekend rental rate is quite reasonable. If you go cheap, say ebay lighting, you are looking to spend 300 minimum for 2 strobes with umbrellas and lightstands. Better yet invite people who have lighting gears and share.
Old 29th of March 2009 (Sun)   #5
chris78cpr

I'd say rent some stuff, you'll get a decent Elinchrom set with boxes for a good price.

If your convinced on buying then look at a D-Lite set that you can then continue to grow and add more heads/boxes too etc.
Canon 5dmkii | 7d | Canon 1dmkii | Canon 400D | Canon 10D | Canon 1VHS | Canon Eos 3 | 17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 15F2.8 | 20F1.8EX | 50F1.4 | 85F1.8 | 100F2.8 Macro | 2 x 550EX | 1.4xII
Hasselblad 500CM | 80mm F2.8 CFE | A12 back | WLF
chris78cpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2009 (Mon)   #6
Patrick

Alienbees are an economical choice and good lights, at least all of my research leads to that conclusion. I just bought some and am awaiting delivery.
Old 31st of March 2009 (Tue)   #7
TooManyHobbies
Goldmember

Flashlight, tripod....

The second image is light painting done with a flashlight.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=647479

lights on
focus
lights off
flashlight on
click
paint light for 15-30s in manual at f8 or higher

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Life | Model Mayhem #675060

Last edited by TooManyHobbies : 31st of March 2009 (Tue) at 08:59.
TooManyHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2009 (Tue)   #8
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

those are cool Jeff. Nicely done.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2009 (Tue)   #9
TooManyHobbies
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMH25 View Post
Hi everyone,

Hard to know what to recommend without knowing how much you want to spend.

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Life | Model Mayhem #675060
TooManyHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2009 (Fri)   #10
amonline
Goldmember

If it were me, (assuming you have at least a speedlight) I'd get a Wescott Apollo kit and stand. If you cannot afford wireless remotes, just get a long sync cable for now. Balance between the flash and available, stopping down slightly on the avail light.
amonline is offline   Reply With Quote